Mechanical valve and a fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everbody as anyone on the site got a mechanical valve with a fib how long have you had a fib what medications do you take and do you cope ok many thanks

Guest;n884847 said:
Hi everbody as anyone on the site got a mechanical valve with a fib how long have you had a fib what medications do you take and do you cope ok many thanks

I have a mechanical valve and chronic afib. The afib was infrequent until about three years ago when it became chronic. It is being successfully treated with Atenolol. The afib has no impact on my life or lifestyle and I really do not notice it anymore.

I have a mechanical valve and a irregular but regular afib. I take 5mg Bisoprolol. I am waiting for a 24hr holter monitor to see if my dose is correct. My surgery was end of May. And how I cope ? I can t answer that yet. I wear ear plugs still at night

alesia;n884851 said:
I have a mechanical valve ...? I can t answer that yet. I wear ear plugs still at night
Interestingly that just makes it louder for me as the sound appears to be conducted through my body

I developed Afib after my surgery , sometimes being chronic

i avoid Pharma drugs at all costs if possible ( bar warfarin )

i looked into magnesium and found it works for my Afib with a positive outcome
i found chelated with glycinate at 400mg per day showed a marked reduction within 2 weeks

I have mentioned this before but it really did help plus it avoids ( potentially ) the drug route

I declare my hand in being anti pharma and a little weird in my diet but my main motivation is for health
and this worked well for my Afib

If you do try the Mag avoid caffeine and alcohol if possible as these will stimulate you to urinate any Mag out,,

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.111.082511

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy
Hi

leadville;n884968 said:
i looked into magnesium and found it works for my Afib with a positive outcome

interesting, I'd had it in the back of my head (from my biochem daze) that magnesium was important in nerve actuation, while I couldn't find that just now I did find some interesting things which would suggest that magnesium is important around the healing process after surgery:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3032522/

If you do try the Mag avoid caffeine and alcohol if possible as these will stimulate you to urinate any Mag out,,

I'm not entirely sure that will occur, but you could (say) attempt to balance this by taking the suppliment 4 or so hours after your last coffee (which for me is only in the "pre lunch" time of day.

Interesting line of research emerging ...

PS
to anyone reading those articles a word of importance is this:
apoptosis ˌapə(p)ˈtəʊsɪs/
noun
PHYSIOLOGY
  1. the death of cells which occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism's growth or development.
The way the body stops replication errors is to kill cells

Last edited:
pellicle;n884970 said:
attempt to balance this by taking the supplement 4 or so hours after your last coffee (which for me is only in the "pre lunch" time of day.

Hi Pell

i love my morning coffee too, :Face-Smirk:

leadville;n884968 said:
...i avoid Pharma drugs at all costs if possible ( bar warfarin )...

Although the definition of a pharmacological drug does not include nutrients of an essential dietary ingredient, your use of magnesium glycinate is basically as a drug if it is the primary agent in treating your afib.

One difference between dietary supplements and drugs is the supply chain and label claim of your magnesium glycinate supplement is not as protected or of high a "quality" as a Pharma drug. For example, most nutrients have a minimum % label claim (e.g. >90%) and often can run high (I've seen 130% with one supplement) and can differ more from lot to lot and pill to pill. However a Pharma drug is controlled for both top and bottom of the label claim (e.g. 90 - 110% instead of >90%) and for content uniformity of each pill. You might want to stick to the brand that is working for you, since there is no guarantee the same magnesium glycinate from a different producer will have the same effect.

tom in MO;n884975 said:
You might want to stick to the brand that is working for you, since there is no guarantee the same magnesium glycinate from a different producer will have the same effect.

Thanks Tom

my weapon of choice is the Swanson brand, used it for a few years with positive results

Back