mechanical or biological?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to thank you Jimmy for asking the question, and thanks to everybody else for your replies. I'm 56 and will probably need a valve in the future. At first I was totally against Warfarin, but after reading peoples experiences of using it, am not afraid of it now. Also don't want to chance having to go through another operation just because I didn't want to take a pill.

Seeker;n877477 said:
Hi Jimmy,
I've been lurking on this forum for about 2 years and rarely post so forgive me if this entry rambles.
I'm 16 months AVR post-op. I was 46 when I had my surgery. I was set on a tissue valve because I was afraid of the idea of taking, "blood thinners" and dealing with the ticking for the rest of my life. After months of reading posts by those who've "been there" (thanks Pellicle and dick 0236) and having a side conversation with my anesthesiologist prior to the surgery, I ended up going with a mechanical.

My anesthesiologist shared with me that he has seen a lot of tissues valvers at my age have to re-op at about the 5-7 year mark and if he were in my shoes he'd go mechanical. He was careful to not make a recommendation either way, but nonetheless I thanked him for sharing his opinion. Even after all the reading, conversations with doctors and family, I still wasn't 100 percent sure what to choose. Then I read a post on this forum about how your family is going though this journey with you. With a mechanical valve I could lessen the chance of my wife and children having to go though this ordeal again. I chose to go mechanical not just for me, but for my family.

But to be honest, right up to the surgery date, I still wasn't 100 percent about my choice. You see, I kept chasing certainty in an uncertain situation. As others have said, there is no "right" choice. You just go with what you think is best for you and your circumstances.

Jimmy, I did wake up post surgery hearing the most annoying ticking between my ears. It seemed so loud at the time. I was so pissed about the noise I totally skipped over the fact that I was stiil alive! It took me about 3 months to get used to the ticking. My mind helped my get used to the new noise and these days I really don't notice the ticking unless I stop to think about it.

Taking Warfarin has become so routine I just think of it like taking a daily vitamin. It took me about 3 months of taking Warfarin for my INR to stabilize before I was approved for a CoaguChek home testing machine. I test myself once every 2-3 weeks.

Just remember, slow and go with your recovery. It can be a bumpy journey to recovery but you'll get through it. Oh yeah, watch out for that first cough/sneeze! Hold on to that pillow! See you on the other side Jimmy.
pellicle Seeker

This post alone made me eliminate tissue valve from my options...I am much younger than the gentleman in this post.....In fact he could be my uncle or dad... I am just 26 and for the moment with moderate asymptomatic stenosis...I have narrowed down my choices to ON-X , Ross or homograft....I am prepared for a second surgery in case I need AVR in my 30s

Hello everyone,
Yes, I made it to the other side. So far, it's been 6 days since surgery.
Sorry I haven't been back sooner, but there has been a couple of minor setbacks.
I should have been home already but they're treating me for liquid in the lungs. Also still trying to raise my INR level.
Other than that, I feel great.
just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a Happy Independence Day weekend!
Once again, thanks for letting me join the group. I'll be back on once I'm home!

Hey Jimmy - I am new to the site and just wanted to say that's great news about your surgery. I am 53 and looking at having AVR and maybe aortic repair sooner rather than later myself. Nervous as I can be but inspired by you sharing your story and interested to hear more about your recovery. Hoping you get up and around very soon! Take care.
Joey

Hi

Glad to see you this side

Jimmyk;n877584 said:
... So far, it's been 6 days since surgery.
Sorry I haven't been back sooner,

That's pretty soon..
​​​​​
ut there has been a couple of minor setbacks.
I should have been home already but they're treating me for liquid in the lungs. Also still trying to raise my INR level.

Slow and steady wins the race :)

Joey BAV,
Thanks. It seems like the getting around part is already happening. Never in my wildest dreams would I think that I'd be this far in recovery only 6 days after surgery.
Still a long way to go , like no driving for 6 weeks, no work for 8 weeks, probably longer because of the work I do. But eventually, I'll be better than I was in a long time.
Any questions, I'd love to put any input I can out there.
My advice is do it Joey.
I was told by my surgeon that once he started working on me, my Aortic valve started crumbling in his hand.
Talk about being at the right place at the right time.
Take it from someone who just does not visit Doctors.
If it wasn't for my wife getting us to a cardiologist 's office, after hearing Aortic Stenosis, I knew I was going to do anything that need to be done to correct the problem! My dad was just terrified of having the surgery and died shortly after.
I'm sure you have heard about the heart shaped pillows, Like another person mentioned, I use mine to relieve the pain of laughter.
Theres lots of joking around and laughing,
but make sure your pillow is close by, because it hurts when you laugh.

With closing,
I would like to thank Dr. George Palmer for giving me another chance at life!

Welcome to the other side Jimmy. Pleased you are here. Agree that the first week or so, one finds that pillow is your best friend. Coughing, laughing and sneezing can test ones pain threshold. I found it a challenge to open the refrigerator door that first week and sleeping required some creative solutions. Be easy on yourself and heal well.

Latest posts

Back