Mechanical aortic valves and weight lifting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

greggo32

I am trying to gather some other information regarding light weight training (benching 55lbs in reps of 16-20 and dumbells (15-20lbs). My surgeon has said it is ok and my cardiologist has ok it. I am just wondering if anyone has heard any other info. about it. I don't hold my breath (valsalva) and I count out loud.

Anybody have any info or suggestions.

Thanks

I was told to be very cautious of working pec's or any chest muscles for about a year post op. Very light weights were ok, but nothing heavy.

I guess the question is whether or not the weights you mentioned would be considered light for you, moderate or heavy.

You should PM or email RobThat'sMe. He knows ALL about this stuff and always seems happy to share his abundant knowledge.
Kev

Thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin

Kevin-I appreciate your feedback. I sent Rob an e-mail and we'll see what he says. Thanks again and be well. Are you going to Chicago?

Your plan sounds reasonable to me Greg.

At the one year mark, I was told 50 lbs was OK to lift but not to lift anything that required holding my breath, or at least not to have prolonged or repeated lifts where I had to hold my breath.

Lighter weights, more reps is the watchword for us Valvies!

'AL'

Thanks AL

Thanks AL

I appreciate the comments. I am sticking to 55 lbs on the bench press and I make sure I breathe and count out loud. Did you hear anything about the pulley machines?

Hi Greg,

I sent you an e-mail.

I think you plan is sound. I am limited to light weights for the rest of my life due to the dissection and aneurysm monitoring.

Don't want to tear or explode, so I am limited to 45 lbs. My e-mail explains more.

Just one thing.. Always remember... when lifting weights.. breathe properly... NEVER... NEVER .. hold your breath when you lift. That puts the most pressure on your circulartory system.

Enjoy your workouts... Feel good about yourself.. and move on with living..

Rob

Thanks Rob

Thanks Rob

It seems that I am getting a convergence of facts and opinions. I wanted your input as you are a fellow mechanical valver and I also believe that you used to lift heavy weights.

Thanks a bunch and see you in cyberspace sometime soon.

I had the same surgery as Rob and my doc restricted me to 50 lbs. in the weight room. I try to stick to it and miss lifting heavy weights but I am slowly getting use to it. Not really.

Thanks Dick

Thanks Dick

Appreciate the response. I guess I am going to really watch it. I am going to stick with the high reps, cardio, and ab work.

AVR and weight lifting!

AVR and weight lifting!

I personally know someone who has lifted heavy while doing bodybuilding on a mechanical valve.. she has her first mechanical valve in 1990 and second in 1996 (the first one turned out to be too small).. she is a very successful competitive bodybuilder right now..

Arnold Schwarzenegger also did a fair amount of weight lifting recently (2002) for T3 to get back into the same shape he was in T2 (early 1990s).. T2 was before AVR and T3 was after AVR.. his AVR was in 1997..

Jesse Sapolu, a former center for the San Francisco 49ers, also successfully played in NFL for at least 1 year after his Ross procedure...

There probably are numerous more but may be no one on this list yet to share their opinion unfortunately.. I think AVR patients are capable of doing more than what they think, or are told by doctors/surgeons... Why not - everyone wants to be safe and nothing wrong with that.. but no one currently knows what our true limitations are... I think we will all be pleasantly surprised if someone (a scientist) takes a lead and do a series of experiments on committed individuals with AVR and passion for lifting... But until then, let's keep wondering.. and perhaps lifting (moderately)..

taranjit

Taranjit-

I guess I am going to play it on the conservative side as I've had 2 open hearts and want to keep this valve for many years if not a lifetime. I appreciate the feedback. Too bad about that female bodybuilder who needed another mechanical valve. Hey, do you know what kind of valve Arnold had for his second surgery?

Thanks

Hi TARANJIT,

You are correct. Many people who have mechanical heart valves do lift heavy. It all depends on the diagnosis / condition that caused the valve to be replaced.

If a person had a valve replaced because it was faulty, they most likely can go on and lift heavy weights.

If however, a person had valve replacement surgery due to Marfans, aortic artery disection, or aneurysm repair, they should "NOT" lift heavy weights as this may lead to further disection or new aneurysm development.

Each case is different, and the activities of each are limited, based upon the conditions of each individual's diagnosis.

Rob
(With a mechanical heart valve and a condition which could kill me if I lifted heavy again... BUT... I can still run for Governor!)

Hi Rob,
you summarized it perfectly.. what I have learnt from you and others, here and elsewhere, is that aorta problems are more serious than the valve alone... People with aortic disease should definately take as many precautions as possible.. others with just valve problems and otherwise healthy aorta can still do almost everything a normal healthy person does, even after their AVR..

A mystery remains for someone like me with BAV - do I have aorta problems or not?... It has been really frustrating for me to find this out... I knew for sure that I had a bad valve, but no one told me I had a bad aorta (6 hospitals/doctors and some 2 dozen echos, over 6 years) until someone told me using the same echo technology, supported by their MRI test, that I had one (measures 4.5cm at root)... I came back to my local cardios and showed them everything and asked for explanation... I have had 3-4 more echos with my local cardios since, as well as one same MRI test, and none of them showed any aorta problem.. God knows what is true.. I only pray to God to keep me guided and help me make a right decision at the right time..

good luck to everyone.. and thanks Rob for sharing his valuable knowledge with us once again..
taranjit

biopsy of valve

biopsy of valve

Taranjit-

Did they biopsy your native (original) aortic valve before they tossed it in the garbage and replaced it? The tests that pathology runs should tell you if you have a connective tissue disease. It should be in your medical record if this test was performed. They did it with me back in 1992 when Cleveland repaired the aortic valve. I tested negative for the Marfans gene.

Greg

Hi Greg,
I am still pre-op.. no AVR yet.. just waiting around, and taking care of myself in the mean time..
taranjit

Greggo32,

Governor Schwarzenegger - Homograft AV second time around.
I believe first time around was Ross Procedure.

Weight lifting after St Jude Mechanical

Weight lifting after St Jude Mechanical

Forum:

I had an AVR in 2008 for bacterial endocarditis. The valve failed in June 2008 and I had a redo with a 23mm St Jude mechanical.
By Sept 2008, I was running again(albeit deconditioned) and weight training. Worked out pecs with the Hammer-Strength equipment to avoid chest stress. By Dec, I was using flat bench again. Doc said 25 lbs maximum, but being a serious and seasoned lifter, I lifted anything that I could rep 10+ times, up to 225lbs on bench press. Leaving the hospital at 155lbs body weight, I was at 185lbs by December and all muscle.(I'm 5'10") I always breathe correctly and never push myself with the intensity I had pre-surgery.

I think that an empirical study based on serious weight lifters is sorely needed, so that the information from doctors isn't so general, when specific strengths and lifestyles pre-surgery need to be included. My experience has been that medical doctors in general are poorly trained in physical rehab and nutrition counseling for weightlifters or other serious athletes. For example, I entered the hospital with a total cholesterol of 140 and left at 200, all the while on the American Heart Diet. I think that nutritionists employed by hospitals treat heart valve patients like myself the same as a triple bypass patient whose diet was lousy prior to hospitalization.

I know that Arnold S did not use 25lbs as his weight lifting limit and he is still going strong 13 years post surgery; I personally have improved heart function at every 6 month echo with my exercise regime. Weights 3x week; Aerobics 3x week.

I say don't blindly listen to the doctors. Research yourself, talk to others with history of AVR and listen to your body. We are all probably experts on our hearts after enduring one or more surgeries!

Email me at [email protected] if you want to communicate outside this forum. Put heart valve in the topic line so I don't erase it from junk mail.

Thanks for listening.

David Robbins

Forum:

I had an AVR in 2008 for bacterial endocarditis. The valve failed in June 2008 and I had a redo with a 23mm St Jude mechanical.
By Sept 2008, I was running again(albeit deconditioned) and weight training. Worked out pecs with the Hammer-Strength equipment to avoid chest stress. By Dec, I was using flat bench again. Doc said 25 lbs maximum, but being a serious and seasoned lifter, I lifted anything that I could rep 10+ times, up to 225lbs on bench press. Leaving the hospital at 155lbs body weight, I was at 185lbs by December and all muscle.(I'm 5'10") I always breathe correctly and never push myself with the intensity I had pre-surgery.

I think that an empirical study based on serious weight lifters is sorely needed, so that the information from doctors isn't so general, when specific strengths and lifestyles pre-surgery need to be included. My experience has been that medical doctors in general are poorly trained in physical rehab and nutrition counseling for weightlifters or other serious athletes. For example, I entered the hospital with a total cholesterol of 140 and left at 200, all the while on the American Heart Diet. I think that nutritionists employed by hospitals treat heart valve patients like myself the same as a triple bypass patient whose diet was lousy prior to hospitalization.

I know that Arnold S did not use 25lbs as his weight lifting limit and he is still going strong 13 years post surgery; I personally have improved heart function at every 6 month echo with my exercise regime. Weights 3x week; Aerobics 3x week.

I say don't blindly listen to the doctors. Research yourself, talk to others with history of AVR and listen to your body. We are all probably experts on our hearts after enduring one or more surgeries!

Email me at [email protected] if you want to communicate outside this forum. Put heart valve in the topic line so I don't erase it from junk mail.

Thanks for listening.

David Robbins

Are you sure you want your email address on the public forum? you most likely will get alot of spam.
BTW Just making sure you noticed this post is 7 years old and many of the origonal posters aren't members any more..well Rob is, he is currently in CCF recovering from surgery.

If however, a person had valve replacement surgery due to Marfans, aortic artery disection, or aneurysm repair, they should "NOT" lift heavy weights as this may lead to further disection or new aneurysm development.
^^^
I have this..and I have been doing pushups and sit ups. Lifting some mediocre size weights. Maybe Im hurting myself :( Maybe I should stop till I reach a year :(

Latest posts

Back