Mechanical Aortic Valve and Female Contraception

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamwarrior13

So I find myself in a fun situation. My AVR surgery was in January and a few months after that, I began seeing my current boyfriend and started using birth control for the first time. (I am 24 years old.) I started out taking the progestin-only mini pill, but I've had some trouble with excessive bleeding -- my periods have been closer together and my last one lasted almost 3 weeks -- and so I went to see the gynecologist the other day and she said she didn't think the pill was best for me and that I should try something else.

After she examined me, she said that my anatomy is a bit small for IUDs and she would not recommend them because it would be such a tight fit (I've never been pregnant) -- and honestly, the idea of IUDs kind of freaks me out anyway.

So my options, according to her, are either the depo provera shot every 3 months or the nexplanon implant every 3 years. I've been doing research on both and am a bit concerned about some of the side effects -- so please, if you have any knowledge or experience concerning either of these options, please share.

My biggest concerns so far are:

-Loss of bone density and hair loss with the depo provera shot. According to Mayo Clinic, the FDA actually recommends not using the shot for more than 2 years because of the bone density issue, and because it may increase the risk of osteoperosis and bone fractures later in life.
- The nexplanon implant either breaking or getting dislodged or being improperly placed. According to their official site, in rare cases the implant has even wound up in the chest, in the pulmonary valve, and in cases like this surgery would be required to remove it.
-Warnings regarding headaches and migraines. I suffer from migraines with aura, and the info about both methods suggested that anyone with migraines should tell their doctor about said migraines before starting either one.

I have just messaged my gynecologist with these concerns (including informing her about the migraines) and am waiting to hear back from her, but I would love as much input as possible before I make a decision.

EDIT 10/19/15: I messaged my gynecologist about the aforementioned concerns. She didn't say anything about my migraines; she did say that the bone density loss with the depo provera is rare and very minimal and that she has not heard of any patients having the hair loss issue. She also said that she has never had a patient with the implant who had the implant break or get dislodged or misplaced. I'm tempted to wait another month or two and see if the mini pill will stop messing with me. At any rate, I would love some more input before I decide -- particularly from women who have tried either the shot or the implant. :)

Have you made up your mind against an IUD? Because if it is something you would consider, I would recommend getting a second opinion on the placement and size issue. I am far beyond worrying about pregnacy but had an IUD for years and now my 26 year old daughter has one after going through the different options. All problemm free. Sometimes a doc will avoid procedures they are not completely confident with, of course I don't know if that is the case here but you never know. bonbet

Hi

my wife (before we were married and until we decided to have a family) used a kind of plastic ring which is inserted into the vagina which is a slow release hormone device. It (being delivered locally) was much lower dose and is popular in Europe (where she is from). Perhaps that exists in the place you live? I can see if I can find ou the brand if you wish.

I'm old so my experience is that l had nothing but trouble with an IUD so much pain and excessive bleeding eventually l had it removed after several mths of agony! 😕 Turned out to be copper 7 which caused alot if trouble for alot of women including a class action lawsuite back 8n the late 70 early 80's . I am sure they have come along way since. I like the idea of a shot every 3 mths or the 3 yr thing !! 3 months sound good to me !
Good luck on your decision l am sure you will find the one best suites your need and lifestyle.

McCbon I'm pretty sure I won't be going the IUD route, since I don't really like the idea of it and my doctor seemed really convinced it wouldn't work out well for me, but just in case, may I ask which ones you and your daughter have so I can check them out?

pellicle Well, I live in the US but I always appreciate having as many options as possible and would definitely consider that idea, at the very least. I would appreciate it if you could find out the brand name for me so I could look into it. :)

harrietW That is a good point, maybe by then they'll come up with something even better... or maybe I'll just get sick of the whole thing and get something more permanent done. Who knows?

dreamwarrior13;n859525 said:
pellicle Well, I live in the US but I always appreciate having as many options as possible and would definitely consider that idea, at the very least. I would appreciate it if you could find out the brand name for me so I could look into it. :)

Its this one:
http://www.nuvaring.com/

Anita noticed that moving to this her periods were less problematic and generally she felt better on this than on the pill

Dreamwarrior13,
I understand you will not be considering the Mirena IUD. I can't help you with the other choices, but I can tell you about my situation. I had the Mirena implanted for both contraception and to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding and I have a smaller anatomy and had never had children. Although it was not a very pleasant experience having it placed, I had an ObGyn who had alot of experience and had me load up on advil and tylenol before the procedure. If you go that route, I was told to take pre-meds for the insertion. I, too suffer from migraines and aura. It did take some getting used to for the first 6 months, but after that I was glad to have it as it took care of two issues. Good luck with your decision.

There is no way to remember what I had like 45 years ago and it's probably not even made anymore. But my daughter has the Mirena. Similar, in that it took care of her heavy bleeding and cramps, and was uncomfortable to have placed. She's happy with it now. Good luck with navigating all these issues. Sometimes this AVR is not so simple as just replacing a broken part. McCbon

Thank you everyone for your answers and feedback! I will definitely look into the NuvaRing and I will try and keep my mind open concerning the Mirena since it's been recommended by multiple people now.

Roberta and McCbon, may I ask exactly what you mean when you say it was "uncomfortable" to have it placed? Is that a euphemism for "it hurts like heck" or is it just a really weird unpleasant sensation because you can feel what's going on down there? And does it cause pain or discomfort for long after the procedure? Either way the thought of being awake and able to feel it freaks me out a lot. I had some trouble getting a heart catheterization for that exact reason. XP

No, it wasn't horribly painful. Her first IUD, which was different, did hurt like heck with horrible cramping afterwards. Really bad. So she went into this procedure scared and was initially reluctant but her research convinced her it was the best option for her. So I think they gave her something like ibuprofen, and then a nurse held her hand, and it was a little crampy but not bad. She was fine afterward. Boy, I've gotten so much more squeamish or sensitive to pain in my old age. When I was a kid and getting allergy shots the doc would show me off to other kids becasue I was so sanguine about the whole thing. I just got a flu shot and it freaked me out, especially thinking about, if a flu shot bothers me what am I going to do when they split me open etc. etc? I just divert those thoughts when I can., Good luck with your procedure (if you get one) you'll be fine, just remember to breath. McCbon

My doctor did mention the Skyla at first but after checking me out she didn't seem to think any of the IUDs would be great for me.

It occurs to me she also might not like that option for me because around the time she first brought it up I almost fainted in her office. Still not sure if that was a reaction to what she was saying or a random blood pressure drop or what, but it sure surprised us both.

Also it's not just you @McCabon! I usually deal with needles fine but the flu shot hurts like heck for some reason!

Latest posts

Back