Mayo Doctor Leads?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

raedberg

This is my first post as a new member. I am 61 years old and 7 years out from an initial mitral valve repair. Echo measurements indicate probable re-repair or replacement, but I am not convinced due to conflicting opinions among cardiologists and surgeons at the Emory Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic. I have made an appointment for late July at the Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Center in Rochester, but haven't yet made specific requests for doctor consultations.

Please reply if you can recommend Mayo valve specialty surgeon(s) or cardiologists. My objectives are to better determine WHEN I need to go again, and if re-repair shouldn't be attempted, what is the best Bio replace option. (Emory surgeons suggest the Medtronic Mosaic, Cleveland surgeons seem to favor the bovine pericardium variety.)

Welcome to the site

Welcome to the site

Sorry I can't be of any help on your question but just wanted to welcome you to the site. I am sure someone will be able to help.

Hey, finally a fellow Georgian has joined our ranks.
I had MVR at Emory in 1989 and am also looking at a second surgery sometime down the round. ( the longer, the better).
What kind of conflicting reports are you getting?
Do you have stenosis or regurgitation of the valve.
You were lucky they could repair it last time - Was your surgeon Dr. Craven?
Sorry to bombard you but I'm excited to see another Georgian on the board.
:) Tammy

Live each moment while you can for you may never get the chance again. Each moment is the last of not the future but the past. By: me :cool:

Hi Tammy--My Emory surgeon for MVr seven years ago was Robert Guyton. My continuing problem is moderate to severe mitral regurgitation with primarily posterior leaflet prolapse. The valve is thickening with myxomatous changes. The conflicting opinions relate to how soon I need to have MVr or MVR and which Bio valve is the best choice if secondary repair can't or shouldn't be done.
I've heard the range of "you should have done this last February" to "You haven't crossed the line on key measurements yet, so get another echo in a year"------from different cardiologists. So------I'll get another opinion from the Mayo Clinic staff next month. Hopefully one of the members has experience there and can suggest doctors to request for consultation.

You mentioned a procedure 12 years ago----was it repair or replace? Did Joe Craver do the operation?

Glad to hear from you!

Hello there.
Yes it was Joe Craver (I can't type) LOL
He wanted to do a repair but had to replace. He chose a mechanical because of my age he said. (26 at the time of surgery).
I don't blame you for checking all your options and getting more opinions. Let me know how it goes.
I may cross that bridge in a few years with my Aortic.
Take Care.
Do you know Dr. Craver? He is suppose to be one of the best at Emory (at least thats what my cardio said).
They may get kick backs - hahaha.

How are you feeling, are you aware of a difference in your energy level as of late?

Tammy

What kind of tests have you had ?

I had MVR scheduled after a catheterization and 'calculated' valve opening but a TEE (transesophagael echogram) showed the calculated numbers were probably too pessimistic. It also found some mitral valve regurgitation which had not been previously diagnosed so I am a big believer in the TEE procedure.

At age 57, I'm leaning toward the Bovine Pericardial Valve but like you, would be interested in knowing of any other promising options that do not require Coumadin for the rest of my life.

'AL'

Tammy and Al,
The only tests I've had in the past 7 years since initial repair are basic echos. I will request a TEE from the Mayo Clinic when I'm there. The two leading Bios currently recommended for Mitral position (in my experience with the Cleveland and Emory Clinics) seem to be the Edwards Bovine Pericardium and the Medtronic Mosaic. Neither has enough history to really predict how long they will last, but the Mosaic is not really a new design; rather a new treatment technique to prevent calcification. Mosaic has been approved for use in Europe for several years, but only now being used by some US surgeons. I'll try to get an opinion from the Mayo staff on those two options.

Speaking of kickbacks, some surgeons in major centers are tied financially to valve manufacturers and have endorsed them with their names in the name of the prosthetic valve. So----one might not expect to get a totally objective opinion on replacement options.

My research on Atlanta based doctors indicates that Joe Craver, Robert Guyton (both Emory Docs) and Doug Murphy (St. Josephs)
are among the best for MVr and MVR.

I appear to be asymptomatic unless I drink too much wine. Then my heart rate gets a bit too fast and wakes me up a few hours after going to bed. No unusual fatigue as yet----I swam a half mile Thursday and rode my bike 30 miles yesterday, both efforts seemed about the same as several years ago.

Best Regards. Have a good time on the Fourth of July!

Latest posts

Back