Martial Arts...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic8Ball

I went to watch my son at tae-kwondo tonight and REALLY REALLY miss it.

It was on my list of things too risky post surgery but i may re-evaluate.

I know a few of you on here still do this so what pre-cautions did you take.

Do you wear a helmet?

Regards.

I still practice martial arts, but I am not on coumadin. I had a valve sparing aortic aneurysm repair. Coumadin may be an issue, and I will let the coumadin experts comment on that.

Coumadin can get out of hand without your knowing. That's why they have you test it at least monthly. If the INR is stable it wouldn't normally be a problem, but if it goes too high you can bleed a lot.

Mine is normally between 2.6 and 3.2 and I have no problems with any sort of activity. Then I had the flu over Xmas and my INR shot up to 4.3, not from taking any other drugs or anything, and with the pukes and the shits, I surely wasn't drinking or eating anything. It shot up solely because my whole system got out of whack.

I only noticed something was wrong when I rubbed my eyes, y'know simply because they were itchy, and within an hour the whole eyeball filled up with blood. Evil eye. It really grossed out everyone in the family but it was merely a burst vessel. Then just flossing my teeth made a big mess, filled the basin with blood.

It only took a day off the coumadin to set things right but while it was that high I could bleed heavily from nearly anything. Going through the motions wouldn't worry me, but taking a hard fall or an unblocked shot from an opponent could raise some serious bruises.

Your mileage may vary.

Magic, I have returned to the dojang with my mechanical valve and Coumadin. My original intent was not to spar but I can't help myself. We fight by Olympic rules (with contact) with protective gear that includes a foam head protector. In the dojang it is not full contact because that is your friend you are fighting and you don't want to bury your foot in their face yet you want enough contact to stop their attack, a very fine line. In tournament fighting the goals are very different so I will no longer fight outside the dojang and I am re-evaluating if I should continue in class. Pre-valve I was kicked in the face hard enough that a trip to the ER was required to stop the bleeding without Coumadin. The intense contact was not intentional yet it happened. For now I am cautiously continuing to spar and asking my opponents not to use, blind, jump, flying or spinning kicks to the head. This is a difficult decision despite the known risk.
For those thinking "are you crazy!" try to understand that martial arts becomes far more than something you do a few days per week. Who knows, I may hang up the pads soon?
Good luck with your decision.
Now a question for you and the other martial artist: Would it be as much fun without sparring?
Philip

Magic,

Tough question. I have twice had concussion from unintentional heavy contact during sparring (both with two-on-one with lower belts). Both incidents were years ago but could have been more of an issue with coumadin.

At the very least, headgear would be an abolute must. I do not think I would participate in competitions on coumadin.

Would I continue sparring in dojo on coumadin??? Probably/maybe not. If I were younger maybe I would but at 40 I'm not sure it is so important to risk stroke.

Would I continue taekwondo without sparring? I don't think so.

David

I just started back to practicing forms. I would like to do some sparing, but at the moment, I'm too worried about getting hit in the chest, even with chest protection. Good luck.

with the consent of both my cardiologist and surgeon, i started training in muay thai 8 weeks post avr figuring it would be a great way to get back in shape. my cardiologist was a little reluctant given the brutal reputation muay thai has, but in the end, he didn't think it posed any special or dangerous threat to me; or at least not any more than my cycling and rock climbing tendencies. i am not on coumadin nor any other blood thinner (save baby aspririn) though. over the last 4 months, i have been hit in the chest quite hard on several occasions (sparring mistakes, dropping my gaurd, erent knees, pads mistakes, etc..), and often, with moderate to light force. besides the normal pain one would associate with such blows, my chest doesnt bother me. interestingly, the biggest downside i have found comes from incision irritation which sometimes follows clinching sessions and/or frequent front kicks (front kicks, or teeps in thai, are defensive moves used to back up an offensive strike). i plan to have my first fight within the next 9 months and i will not be using any chest protection. as with all martial arts, there is always the possibility of an errent blow; such is the case when one is learning. my instructor needed me in the face while demonstrating a clinch combo (it was my fault since i moved) and it was enough to give me a bloody nose. such things happen often. as always, i would suggest consulting your doctor.

I for one don't think it's a good idea. I've tried to get a hold of my old Sensei to get his input on the matter, but it appears he turned Ninjitsu on me and disappeared.

I spoke to my cardiologist and he calmly discussed the risks. I was only considering a head blow as a risk but there are far more risks associated with the soft areas around your middle and damage to kidney's, liver, spleen etc so my initial want to go back has been well and truely quashed.

Its a shame but a small price to pay for living....time to find a new set of hobbies now..;)

Interesting thread

Interesting thread

These are the types of reasons you may choose a tissue valve to avoid warfarin if it is an option.
Not everyone’s life is based around simply "being around for the kids"; there are others whose life isn't centred on dependents.
I think this is often overlooked in the warfarin issue. ;)
I know there are no guarantees, however, if possable not everyone wants to live with the restrictions of a heart patient. :)

rachel_howell said:
It sounds like you are taking a good attitude....It is a gift and a blessing just to still be here....To become wiser in the process is both a gift and an accomplishment. Congratulations, Magic8Ball.

Cheers :eek: i wasn't looking for an endorsement :eek: but i agree with you that the adjustments we face after surgery are not always things we would not have faced in time anyway.

My desire to keep doing martial arts at 37 would probably only last another 5 or 6 years before my body was too wrecked to cope. Giving up gracefully probably saved me some painful injuries...

My one big thank to warafin (although at times i sometimes dont agree with myself) is the lack of alcohol.....i feel great without it so i'm mostly happy that this lifestyle change has been forced upon me.

Hopefully i'll still be posting in 30+ years with no additional heart surgery stories to add to my collection....

Back