March 5, 2014 is going to be my extra birthday!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBray

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I can't wait! The past few weeks of experiencing stronger symptoms, arguing with the insurance company about what hospitals I can go to and what surgeons I can use, anxiety about having OPEN HEART SURGERY! is finally turning into a concrete schedule.

I'm 42. I'll be having AVR for a BAV on Wednesday March 5, at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater FL. I am so blessed that I get to use my first-choice surgeon, and his back-up is my second choice surgeon. The two of them, along with my cardiologist, are part of The Valve Clinic. I've read both books - Adam Pick's "The Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery" and Cohan & Pimm's "Coping With Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression" and they have been a HUGE help to me and my family.

Husband is so supportive, I couldn't ask for a better person by my side. Mom is coming this weekend to get familiar with our home, and help stock the freezer (bean soup, meatloaf!). Dad & step-mom are down the road 25 miles. I just found a nice electric recliner at a thrift store for $175. I'm thankful I live in Florida where there's lots of this stuff available!

Brother 500 miles away is looking for a reason to come to Florida in March for a few days :) Sister in Ohio is looking for a reason to leave her 4 kids at home for a few days in March. :)

Re-starting Netflix subscription March 1. Hiring a house-cleaner Before March 1. Completing paperwork for medical leave of absence this week. Completing paperwork for short-term disability insurance payments this week.

Now the only thing I have to worry about is....

Cleaning the house before the housekeeper gets here.
Cleaning the house before my *mom* gets here!
Finishing up tasks at work.
Finding someone to cover my 1099-contract job while I can't drive.
Busy, busy, busy.

I still have to make a decision on the type of valve (different thread!). The worst part is when I don't have anything to do and I start thinking inward. What happens if....

Oh, and I need some cotton pajamas. I bet there will be some Valentine's pjs on clearance at Target in a few weeks!

Humor. I have my sense of humor. It's my self-defense against the what-ifs.
<3

<3

I like your sense of humor.....and it appears you have all your bases covered.

BTW, I understand why you want to clean the house before your mom comes......but why clean it before the housekeeper comes??? My wife does the same thing and I keep asking her "why do we pay a housekeeper if you're gonna clean it for them". LOL

Last edited:
I can't wait! The past few weeks of experiencing stronger symptoms, arguing with the insurance company about what hospitals I can go to and what surgeons I can use, anxiety about having OPEN HEART SURGERY! is finally turning into a concrete schedule.

I'm 42. I'll be having AVR for a BAV on Wednesday March 5, at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater FL. I am so blessed that I get to use my first-choice surgeon, and his back-up is my second choice surgeon. The two of them, along with my cardiologist, are part of The Valve Clinic. I've read both books - Adam Pick's "The Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery" and Cohan & Pimm's "Coping With Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression" and they have been a HUGE help to me and my family.

Husband is so supportive, I couldn't ask for a better person by my side. Mom is coming this weekend to get familiar with our home, and help stock the freezer (bean soup, meatloaf!). Dad & step-mom are down the road 25 miles. I just found a nice electric recliner at a thrift store for $175. I'm thankful I live in Florida where there's lots of this stuff available!

Brother 500 miles away is looking for a reason to come to Florida in March for a few days :) Sister in Ohio is looking for a reason to leave her 4 kids at home for a few days in March. :)

Re-starting Netflix subscription March 1. Hiring a house-cleaner Before March 1. Completing paperwork for medical leave of absence this week. Completing paperwork for short-term disability insurance payments this week.

Now the only thing I have to worry about is....

Cleaning the house before the housekeeper gets here.
Cleaning the house before my *mom* gets here!
Finishing up tasks at work.
Finding someone to cover my 1099-contract job while I can't drive.
Busy, busy, busy.

I still have to make a decision on the type of valve (different thread!). The worst part is when I don't have anything to do and I start thinking inward. What happens if....

Oh, and I need some cotton pajamas. I bet there will be some Valentine's pjs on clearance at Target in a few weeks!

<3

You do that too! My husband always says, "why in the world do you hire a housekeeper, when you end up cleaning before and after she leaves!" :)
Men just don't understand.....I just don't want anyone coming in and thinking I'm such a slob! Ha, ha!

Sounds like you are in the right frame of mind and ready to "get ir done!" Keep up the good humor....that's what's kept me going all these years! :)

Hi

I can't wait!

Thats the spirit!!

<3

exactly!! My wife visited me in a bunny suit
2011-11-28%2B19.26.37.jpg

that was her sense of humor at work in coping with negativity

go for it!

and take some Korean KimChi in with you to have as a side dish with meals. Helps "get things started" and is much better than "movicol"

:)

mrs bray you have a great attitude and cert a sense of humour helps, my mate still laughs at the txt i sent him on the morning of my op, he txted asking what time i was going down to theatre, i replied when there catch me lol, you will do just fine esp with your sense of humour

What kind of pre-op testing should I expect? I have an appointment with my Primary Care Provider to schedule the pre-ops. It seems like a waste of my insurance money to go see her to schedule the tests that the surgeon ordered. The appt scheduler said something about a left-heart-cath and a right-heart-cath. A lung test, a blood test, and a carotid ultrasound. What's the left- and right-heart cath? I had a catheterization a year ago and it was miserable. (Nobody ever told me I was supposed to pee! I collapsed shortly after getting dressed to be released, and ended up staying overnight, and was pulled off driving duties for 30 days while they straightened everything out.)

How early before surgery will I have to be at the hospital? Am I allowed to wear my own pajamas? Slippers? WHERE CAN I FIND DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO USE A BEDPAN? <grimace>

Oh Lord, when I start asking questions rapid fire like that, you *know* I'm tired and anxious.

You guys are awesome. I so hope to pay it forward.

I can't recall exactly what was before vs. after but it seemed like I always had blood work, chest x-ray, and EKG. I did have a Cardiac catheterization a day or two before the surgery. The catheterization is standard prior to heart surgery as it gives them a good look at what they are going to be working with. Blood work is necessary to ensure that you are healthy (no signs of virus, etc). I think I had to be at the hospital 2-3 hours prior to the start time but this varies by hospital. Not sure about the pajama's as you will have a lot of tubes/wires afterward, but they will come out quickly over a couple days. After the surgery, as long as the Dr's/nurses can get at what they need to I'm sure you can wear what you like, including your own slippers or robe. I wore my boxers and the hospital gown and slipper socks. There may be little need for a bed pan. I had a urinary catheter and I was up and walking before it came out.

It's normal to be nervous but for me the surgery was not as big a deal as expected. Soon it will just be a memory with a scar to remember it by.

I think AZ Don pretty much covered your question concerning pre-op testing.

My question is, why is your PCP ordering pre-op tests too? Are they not aware that your surgeon has already ordered them? I would question this because your insurance company may refuse to pay for duplicate tests so find out. As far as when they want you to check into the hospital, they should be the ones that let you know when to check in.

And on the items you may want to take with you to the hospital, here is a link that may be helpful: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist.

Like AZ Don, you will have a catheter for urine and the nurses will help you with everything else. Don't be shy.....they've seen it all and heard it all....that's why they are there, to help you with a good recovery. I've never had a bad or moody nurse....all of them have been so kind and patient, thank goodness.

You might want to freeze some soups or dishes that your husband or another family member can just thaw and warm up for you once you're home. This comes in very handy.

Best wishes to you!

Njean, I've got a freezer full of ground beef, chicken breasts, and pork steaks, and my mother is arriving Friday for a long weekend of cooking. My PCP isn't ordering more tests, she's simply scheduling them. Humana requires authorizations from the PCP for any tests ordered. It's frustrating, I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie. I have a $3000 out of pocket limit, I will reach that pretty darn quick!

Az don,
Are you telling me that you have a heart cath before any valve replacement surgery.? I had one last August, when I was first diagnosed with BAV and aorta aneurysm (4.2) at 58 yr old. I have no blockage. I hoped to never have another one of those again. It was awful.

Oh well, I shouldn't be such a wimp...everyone has something. I know they do the Cath's through the wrist now some places.

I can't recall exactly what was before vs. after but it seemed like I always had blood work, chest x-ray, and EKG. I did have a Cardiac catheterization a day or two before the surgery. The catheterization is standard prior to heart surgery as it gives them a good look at what they are going to be working with. Blood work is necessary to ensure that you are healthy (no signs of virus, etc). I think I had to be at the hospital 2-3 hours prior to the start time but this varies by hospital. Not sure about the pajama's as you will have a lot of tubes/wires afterward, but they will come out quickly over a couple days. After the surgery, as long as the Dr's/nurses can get at what they need to I'm sure you can wear what you like, including your own slippers or robe. I wore my boxers and the hospital gown and slipper socks. There may be little need for a bed pan. I had a urinary catheter and I was up and walking before it came out.

It's normal to be nervous but for me the surgery was not as big a deal as expected. Soon it will just be a memory with a scar to remember it by.

Njean, I've got a freezer full of ground beef, chicken breasts, and pork steaks, and my mother is arriving Friday for a long weekend of cooking. My PCP isn't ordering more tests, she's simply scheduling them. Humana requires authorizations from the PCP for any tests ordered. It's frustrating, I guess everyone wants a piece of the pie. I have a $3000 out of pocket limit, I will reach that pretty darn quick!

Oh, okay and yes, you will be reaching $3000 pretty quickly! That's wonderful that your mom is coming down to help you with some cooking.....thank God for our mom's. :thumbup:

Mbeard,
Well I had a valve sparing aneurysm repair which is a little different, but they were working at the aortic root. I think the catheterization is standard prior to any heart surgery. The Dr. that did the Cath said it is to check for any blockages, so they could fix those while they are in there. The surgeon said that was secondary, he needed it to get more information about what he was going to be working on.

Njean,
For a different surgery the surgeon suggested that my PCP order my pre-op tests as it would be more cost effective. She contacted my primary Dr. with the list of tests needed. I had my OHS surgery at Mayo and they like to do everything themselves, so they did all pre-op testing for my OHS. Since I had the other surgery first I was already long past my max out of pocket before I even knew I needed OHS.

Bedpan? You won't need one of those, once the catheter comes out they get you up and walking.

PJs - why? PJs are for people who are either asleep, or sick. Be proactive about your recovery, you're not going to be sick, you are just making new bone to heal the sternum they cut through. :) Once they get you out of the hospital scrubs, which will be when you leave ICU, you can wear whatever you want. I went with big t-shirts and exercise pants, I could even put on my running shoes without any issue. And then I was OFF. The additional benefit to not walking around in PJs is that no-one suspects you're a patient and you can escape!

Kidding a bit - but you sound a bit like me in gung-ho-ness so wearing normal clothes may help you feel like you're on the road to recovery (which you are) more quickly!!

Good luck from down under :)

6 days and counting! I had my last pre-op appointment today, at the hospital. Here's a quick timeline once 1/23:
1/23 Echo (easy & painless)
1/28 Dr. Cardiologist suggested it may be time for surgery, sent me to meet the surgeon.
(arguing with primary physician about who is and isn't in-network)
2/6 CT Scan (easy & painless), showed Bicuspid valve, slightly enlarged ascending aorta, and cavernous hemangioma (I know, what the hell? put it on the list for later, I guess)
2/7 Dr. Surgeon agrees it's time for surgery, sets the date of March 5th.
2/12 Carotid Ultrasound (easy & painless)
2/12 Dr Primary Care pre-op clearance, EKG, blood draw, pregnancy test
2/14 Pulmonary Function Test & Arterial Blood Gas test (easy and mostly painless - blood test was a little more than a regular blood draw)
2/17 Dr Pulmonologist appt cancelled by Dr Primary, no reason given, rescheduled for 3/3
2/18 paid $120 for a blood test that was already completed at my primary, but primary never forwarded results despite 3 attempts
2/19 Left & Right heart catheterization (easy & painless, from what I remember. Learned how to use a bedpan!)
2/21 Dr. Surgeon, final consult pre-surgery, decided on mechanical valve replacement, full sternotomy (very emotional visit for me)
2/24 Dr Primary's office called to tell me they faxed all my test results to the surgeon. :l
2/26 Final Pre-op appt at hospital, meetings w/nurse, pre-pay bill, blood draw, EKG, chest xray, medical history
2/26 Dr Pulmonologist called to remind me of appt 2/27 (Not sure who scheduled it), then told me the Dr Primary won't authorize despite 3 requests. No record of appt on 3/3. Cancelled all appts until post-op.
2/26 Dr Primary authorization/referral clerk refused to speak with me. F&(# her, right?

Will & advance directive ready to be signed & notarized this weekend.
Freezer full.
Seems like all I have to do is pack my chapstick, glasses, & tablet, take an antibiotic soap shower, and I'm good to go.

<Twiddling thumbs>

Mrs. Bray,

You are amazing with your "get it done and mark it off list" attitude. I am proud to know you on this forum.

Aww shucks, thanks!

this is comparable to waiting for a hurricane to hit. you can see it coming, know what to expect, have done all you can, and all you can do is wait. Wait. Wait.

I know what to expect after, but not really. I haven't EVER been in the hospital overnight.

Back