Mahler - dying of valve problems, 100 years ago...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midpack

Hi!

As a classical music lover, i was looking at Gustav Mahler biography (not among my preferred composers, by the way). I found the following interesting article describing his heart problems and death (consequence of mitral valve problems and IE). No antibiotics, no echos, no cath, no heart surgery...
We are lucky to live 100 years later!

http://www.hektoeninternational.org/Mahler-at-100.html

Yes interesting description. Thanks God for medical advancements that have allowed us to live nearly normal lives.

I'm a real fan of classical music too. As far as Mahler goes, I really like his 4th and 5th symphonies. Otherwise, my 10 favorite composers in order are: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahams, Handel, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi. But I enjoy dozens of others from Renaissance to Modern.

Otherwise, my 10 favorite composers in order are: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahams, Handel, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi. But I enjoy dozens of others from Renaissance to Modern.
Bach….ah Bach, my favourite. Now I know why you are called chaconne ! Am listening to Partita no.3 right now. As Douglas Adams said "Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like to be the universe !"

I remember when watching Ken Russel's film about Mahler thinking about his heart problem when he got ill (and died). Yes thankgoodness for medical advances.

Good list Chaconne! But i need places for Schumann and Schubert in my top 10. So, i will probably remove Vivaldi and Handel. Dvorak is another composer that may be in my top 10, but i recognize that most would disagree. I deduce, from your list, that opera is not your favorite genre. Same here.

While on the topic of outing one's favs:

Beethoven (esp piano sonatas)
Avo Part
Phillip Glass

and (after mentioning the quintessential minimalist) may I be permitted to include Brian Eno?

Bach….ah Bach, my favourite. Now I know why you are called chaconne ! Am listening to Partita no.3 right now. As Douglas Adams said "Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like to be the universe !"

I remember when watching Ken Russel's film about Mahler thinking about his heart problem when he got ill (and died). Yes thankgoodness for medical advances.

Yes, Bach is amazing, especially the Chaconne in D minor of which I play a portion on classical guitar. I like the description of Beethoven. When he wrote his Eroica Symphony (#3), it was said that he shifted the focus of his music to what pleased him and gave everyone a look at his soul.

Clay,

No doubt there are great musicians in all genres of music. I also play 5-string bass, electric and folk guitar, so I admire these two you mentioned as well.

My father had his first heart attack in his thirties and there followed a series of them until he died in his forties.
Since my own heart problems and two heart surgeries, so often I've though my Dad might have been saved if he had been born later. His father and his father ahead of him all died very young of heart issues. No doubt about genetics.

When I had my valve replacement, there was a little piece of me that chose to go forward with that second surgery, which was very hard for me to do, thinking 'this one is for you, Dad'.

You don't have to go real far back . . . pretty certain both my twins and I would be dead without the modern medical care we received, even a decade back there would have been little hope for them. It's gone now but for a year or two I was able to use the scar on my neck from the Swan Ganz catheter as my "gratitude button." Push it, and repeat, "I'm alive, I'm alive!"

We all know the importance of modern health care in our life. In my opinion, we cannot neglect the importance of natural remedies. Many problem related to skin ailments, heart diseases, hormonal imbalance can be cured by using natural remedies. Elements like royal jelly , manuka honey, etc. are prime examples, which show that how important this substances are in our life.

Latest posts

Back