Made it!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurmurSinceForever

Just a quick update , had AVR and mitral valve decalcification on Nov. 25/14 and I was discharged on day 5 after surgery. I still have to go daily to the INR clinic back at the hospital until I reach therapeutic range, but sleeping in my own bed makes that well worth the travel.

The surgeon said my valves had the look of previous rheumatic fever, of which I have no recollection but he cleaned up the mitral valve while he was changing the aortic. I have absolutely no regrets choosing mechanical. I can only barely hear it during quiet times and once I get into therapeutic range, I will manage my warfarin locally.

Thanks to all the information on this site, I was well informed on what to expect and was able to make a good choice for myself. I am thankful that I was able to get this surgery when I was healthy. I know how fortunate I am to be recovering so well and quickly.

Congratulations. Your INR will settle down in a few weeks. For me I went every 5 days or so for the first few weeks. If you will do home monitoring, make sure you keep track of who you talk to and what they say. Home monitoring is easy, it's the paperwork and process that can be a real twisty road to navigate depending upon your provider and your insurance company.

Whoo hoo! Glad you made it. I never heard of them being able to decalcify a valve before, that's intriguing.

Re: rheumatic fever, I never knew I had that either but they assure me I did. I think I read in a paper that a significant number (maybe 25%?) of patients who have rheumatic heart damage don't remember having rheumatic fever.

Super glad you're out of the hospital and feel good about your choice - wishing you a smooth recovery and full return to vigor and health!

So glad to see your update and happy that you are 'on the other side'. Don't forget the drill, walk, rest and breathe!
Wishing you a smooth recovery from this day forward.
Best wishes,

So happy to hear that all went well with you and you are now in recovery mode! Take it slow and easy...everything will fall back into place as time goes on.

Stay well!

YEAH!!! Been lookin for ya. Now you will find yourself becoming an expert on your vitals!!! lol. I had excel spreadsheets made up on my laptop to log all the stuff I was tracking. Happy holidays to you, and a speedy and successful recovery.

I took about 5 months to settle into to an anti-coag routine. Now my dose hasn't changed since July.

I read somewhere that untreated strep throat can be a rheumatic fever trigger. I suspect that may have been my case, but I'm not sure. I had strep many times in college, but was only treated once.

Welcome to the other side!

Latest posts

Back