Made Decision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2legs

I had previously talked to my cardiologist and he said I would probably be ok till Labor Day. I have noticed I am having increasing shortness of breath. I went yesterday and had a new echo. Things haven't changed alot but like he said it isn't going away. I decided to go for it so am waiting to have my angiogram I believe it is called and to have a consultation with the surgeon that my cardiologist thinks would be the best for me. This thing scares me as I am sure you are all aware. I decided on a pig valve and I am hoping I don't have to have a bypass also. Will keep you informed. What should I be doing in the mean time to help my chances of things going well. I have quit smoking almost. Down to one a day and I use an ecig or personal vaporizor. I still like to drink a beer or two. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I think it's great that you're trying to quit smoking!!!!

My best advice for you is to completely quit smoking, if you can and to listen to your doctors, they know you and your condition the very best and will be able to guide you through the process.

Other than that, try really hard to not worry about things that are out of your control (easier said than done, I know).

I know you have some other issues and so I'll be thinking about you!!!

Rachel

I think it is great that you are quiting smoking also. I have heard that when you reduce, you end up sucking in more nicotine. Food for thought.

I would think that doing whatever exercise you can do, that would help you to be in your best shape for surgery.

The beers are probably OK...but Vodka is better.

Making the decision is sometimes the toughest thing- I second guess my tough decisions and am still not sure what happened the first valve replacement- Maybe I would go a little slower getting back to heavy labor.
But 9 months out the second surgery - I am the proud owner of a "pig valve" - I now climb the stairs with no heavy breathing and am starting to slowing get my stride. Good job on the smoking plan - we all will pray and think of you.

welcome aboard,yes the waiting is defo the worst part, you will do just fine,if i can do it believe me anybody can,it isnt half as bad as you think,and if you choose the piggy valve you are part of the piggy club fanbase lol, one drawback no bacon sandwiches

I'm glad things are moving along. quitting, or at least cutting down smoking is probably the best thing you can do now to help the recovery. Have you talked to your doctor about possible things that might need to be in place, at the hospital or your home that might be needed when you cant use your arms to get up etc? Or even if they might reccomend going to a rehab for a little while instead of right home from the hospital? Incase you have to start getting insurance to approve things, or any other plan you might need to have in place to make things easier and not have to figure things out at the last minute

Latest posts

Back