Lung collapse or Pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dearest Penny,
I didn't really have issues with my lungs, but....if I didn't take my pain meds, I definitely felt the pain there. They told me, when they do this surgery, they collapse your lungs. It's our job to do our breathing exercises, etc. to help get all the air-pockets out, etc. With this earthquake of a surgery you have just been through, you're going to be in pain for a bit. Just wondering, are you taking your pain meds on a regular basis? If not, and you're having all this lung pain, etc., I would definitely be taking those pain meds regularly for a little while and keep doing your breathing exercises, etc. I know I've told you before, but you cannot heal, when you're in pain. Your pain probably stresses your whole system and I would imagine would make for a longer recovery period. The pain meds will take your pain away, help you feel good and allow your body to heal and recover, that's what you need. If not much better soon, I'd talk to your Dr. Take care missy!! (((hugs)))

I my hand is flailing too.

People keep thinking I'm lying when I tell them that their heart, lungs and kidneys take hits during this surgery. Some of the posts lately are showing exactly what I mean.

I had problems for the first couple days, but it started getting better by about day 3 for me. Then had slow improvement after that (once I realized the breathing thing was my friend more than my enemy). They also gave me lasix (sp?) a couple times because I was starting to get fluid in my lungs, but that seemed to clear it up pretty quick (in addition to making me go pee every 15 min. for a couple hrs). Get well soon Penny! I'm sure, as painful as it is, this is just a temporary setback. But I also COMPLETELY agree with Angel about the pain meds. They kept telling me to "stay ahead of the pain" by taking the pain meds even if I wasn't feeling much pain. If you get to the point where you're feeling too much pain to do the breathing exercises, it makes it hard to do the work your lungs need you to do.

Penny, Are you having lung issues?

I had some awful pains in my back and shoulder blades shortly after surgery and then weeks later I had awful pains in my ribs. They were muscle and cartilage issues though. Hoping you're okay :)

I did. I was coughing up phelm for a couple days in the hospital.It went away after that.

Penny
I am 5 1/2 wks out of surgery and have been having lots of pain in right lung area. Docs have strongly encouraged me not to skip pain meds and to use the breathing device. I have been running temps off and on since the surgery and after a visit to ER on Sunday night ,I was diagnosed with Pleurisy. They tell me that this is inflamation in and around the lining of my lungs most often due to a viral infection. It causes sharp pain with breathing,coughing,sneezing and movement. hope this is not your issue

Hi Penny,
Chiming in to say that I too had lung issues.
I had pleural effusion in both lungs post surgery and a collapsed left lobe. As a result, I was very short of breath, had problems taking deep breaths and when lying down. I can't say I had a lot of pain from it. It took quite a while for it to settle down.

I hope you are doing OK.

thanks peeps for the replys,
Marcia to answer your question, yes I had the standard surgery not the min. invasive.
The lung issue has pretty much cleared up. Still a little pain once in awhile when I take a deep breath and I can't sleep on that side. The xray showed it was starting to collapse so they really stressed to do lots of breathing exercises and some heavy pain meds to kill the pain.. boy am I glad I am past that. :)

Latest posts

Back