Lumps and bruises

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffey -- that's what I thought, too, until I re-read his post. I originally wrote grandfather, then changed it, based on his original message.

Either way, it was a relative who is, no doubt, older than he is -- and probably fictional, anyway.

@Protimenow youv got me mixed up with @Agian .
I never said it was horseshit!!!
It was my father and he is not fictional, he has had his valve for 35 years and it is a 25A-101 St Jude.
I was saying he believes by swinging a “spiritual” pendulum over his hand he can tell what his INR is thats all. He also still believes warfarin makes his blood physically thinner and he is colder because of it.

Im not sure how this turned into a big muddle.. but sorry there was no malice intended.

Either way, it was a relative who is, no doubt, older than he is -- and probably fictional, anyway.
my experience is that truth is often stranger than fiction. My Aunt makes part time money "divining for water" ... she keeps her methods close to her chest.

I didn't see the part about the spiritual pendulum over his hand.

Hey, 12 or more years ago, I thought that I could tell when my INR was out of range just from some physical signs (whatever they were). I was taking a stable dose of coumadin (samples from the manufacturer), and this probably kept me within a fairly broad range.

I'm much more comfortable using my meter than I was 'guessing' when my INR changed dramatically.

Now, I'm confused.
Warrick mentioned the pendulum, not me. But we're actually the same person, writing under different accounts.
I seriously thought Protime was joking, but since he wasn't, the comment about horse **** doesn't apply.
Sorry to add to the confusion, but this is farken hilarious.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. I guess it may sound funny, describing how a pendulum can be used to test INR -- I thought that using a pendulum was a ridiculous idea, too -- but then it hit me -- the pendulum can be used as a time source. I almost sent a post about NOT thinking that a pendulum can be used for INR, and then the possibility of using it hit me. (Of course, this also requires a reagent of known value and a device (tilt table) for detecting when the clot forms - which I suspect that few pendulum owners have available). Today, if you want to actually time a clot's formation, a Coag-Sense meter can do that for you. CoaguChek XS can make a very educated guess. It's probably a lot easier than using a pendulum.

But, then again, the idea of swinging a pendulum over your hand to detect your INR IS a bit odd...

And, yes, these things sometimed DO get a bit contentious and out of hand. Without facial or voice cues, it's really hard to tell who's joking and who's serious. That's how this 'pendulum' thing went awry -- my description of how to use a pendulum to test INR COULD HAVE seemed to be extending a joke - but I was dead serious. But how would anyone know?

In the past, I've been involved in some nasty confrontations with others. Fortunately, I've learned to ignore most of them or just walk away. And sometimes, I'm a grouchier old fool than I am at other times.

We can't ALWAYS be apolitical, or perhaps overly sensitive about our statements, and others may have an equally rough edge, and it can accelerate into considerable unpleasantness.

At the core, though, I think we're all 'friends,' aren't we? (Although there are a few here whose posts I'd really rather not read).

Warrick/Agian: Again, I learned something. If you write horseshit as one word, the system doesn't catch the last four letters, and lets it post unedited. Split it into two words, and the editor catches them. That's chicken **** - oops - chickenshit.
(There are other words that it hates even more -- I suspect that (and I'm self-censoring here) motherf***er will go through but the four letter word in the last half wouldn't. It may even get flagged by the administrator. No, I didn't use that word, because, if it DID catch it, I wouldn't want to have to explain myself to the forum's gods or risk being thrown out for violating some arcane policy.

(These are words commonly in print in most magazines. They've become less sensitive parts of the English language. Some of the remnant prudishness still in the language deserve a bit of rethinking.)

Call me a prude, but is it really that important to use that language that we have to spend brain power trying to get passed the censor software. The idea is just so significant that no other words will suffice?

Family friendly cite and I’d like to think a parent should be perfectly comfortable having their kids use this resource.

I use the same language in appropriate settings, but not when I’m volunteering at my kids school.

I suppose it’s easy to assume only older adults face this issue being the vast majority are in their 40’s and older for their first AVR. Having been a younger patient and having kids, I see it differently.

Hey, Superman -- spend a few minutes at recess with these kids, and see how THEY talk. Listen to the words that THEY use. Unless it's a parochial school, these words are probably common and lack the 'learned' shock value. As for that 's' word that they like to block, Sara Silverman (comedienne) (if I remember the right female comedienne) argued that there's no suitable alternative to that word -- poo? kaka? poopoo? -- that doesn't sound like a word, and doesn't work well in combination with animal names - horsepoopoo? chickenkaka? - so we may as well stop worrying about it being offensive and JUST USE IT.

As for other words, the 'f' word, for example - it's a word that is commonly used - and even if kids use it, they probably have no idea what it's supposed to mean. I don't think we use that word to signify what it's supposed to mean more than, perhaps, one time in 10,000. There are better words than that one to describe that act.
This is ancient history - and I may be one of the only ones here who remember reading about it, but in the trial of the Chicago Eight (following a demonstration during the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago), Abby Hoffman's three year old son was silenced (or banned from the courtroom?) for shouting 'F*** you' multiple times during court proceedings. That three year old was just repeating what he heard from parents and associates - the only shock value was to the adults in the room.

"Dirty or Nasty" words lose their sting when they're used a lot. Damn and Hell couldn't be used on TV or in the movies in the '50s and, probably, most of the '60s. Lucy wasn't 'pregnant' - she was 'expecting.' People didn't get 'pissed' or 'pissed off' until the '80s or later. (Personally, I don't like the word, but that's just me).

The president gave us 'shithole countries' and for a while, it was broadcast without editing. Now, the networks refer to it as 'S-hole' (as if we don't already know what the 's' means.

Language is evolving. Words that were shocking, don't stay that way.

And how the 'f' did this thread turn into my diatribe about linguistics?

If I’m reading you right (and I just skimmed- barely), “But all the other kids are doing it!”
That's really barely skimming. Yes, the kids are doing it -- they may have to learn that these are 'bad' words. If it's already okay for them to use these words, why shouldn't we? Or, should we let them learn that some words are 'bad,' and can't be used, because earlier generations decided that they're not for public consumption?

This was only part of what I wrote - if you ever get the time to read what I wrote, there's a lot more there.

I'm a writer. Words are important to me. But so is progress...

@Paul1972 , did you ever get an answer as to where the pea-sized lumps came from?
Hi Duffey, no I haven’t. I went to see my gp who didn’t have an answer at all ,just said it’s proberbly because I’m on warfarin.The hospital only check my inr every 12 weeks so they haven’t got a clue about my inr on a weekly basis, they don’t even know I self test,I put my name down for a self test trial but they never got back to me .I do struggle to keep my inr below 3.5 at times.Thats why I asked the question on here because at times I feel as if I am just left alone to sort myseft out. I do take a lot of knocks at work on a construction site so maybe that’s why I’ve got lumps and bruises everywhere 😊

Hi Duffey, no I haven’t. I went to see my gp who didn’t have an answer at all ,just said it’s proberbly because I’m on warfarin.The hospital only check my inr every 12 weeks so they haven’t got a clue about my inr on a weekly basis, they don’t even know I self test,I put my name down for a self test trial but they never got back to me .I do struggle to keep my inr below 3.5 at times.Thats why I asked the question on here because at times I feel as if I am just left alone to sort myseft out. I do take a lot of knocks at work on a construction site so maybe that’s why I’ve got lumps and bruises everywhere 😊
By the way hard lumps are all still there but the bruises are fading slowly 👍

Latest posts

Back