Lowering Cholesterol Naturally

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

I am 40, moderate severe aortic regurgitation, BAV, slightly dilated ascending aorta.

Six months ago my MD told me that my LDL (bad cholesterol) was 130, higher than the ideal 100. While not a large difference he suggested considering Lipitor but given that I already take 10mg Altace, Coreg, Aspirin, and other meds and will for a long time, I want to avoid more meds as much as I can unless they are necessary and a last resort. I want my liver and kidneys to hopefully last with my heart another 40 years.

I just had the six month test and was 117 LDL, while overall cholesterol was fine.

My question is: Do any of you know or have experience with foods that reduce bad cholesterol or any other natural alternatives? I have heard pomegranate pills help but dont know.

Thanks,

Rick

Pomegranate hasn't been shown to reduce cholesterol. It's high in antioxidants, though. Garlic has been disproven as well.

However, there are diets that will lower your cholesterol. Exercise and weight control are very high on the list also. Avoid fats that are solid at room temperature. Avoid trans fats (hydrogenated oils). Do not eat deep fried foods. A tablespoon or so of extra virgin olive oil is a good grease for the pan. Better yet is macadamia nut oil, if you can find it. That's the best oil known for monosaturates and has a higher smoke point that even olive oil. I buy a stash of it every other year direct from Australia.

Best wishes,

Here are foods that the Mayo Clinic recommends for lowering bad cholesterol:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

Of course, General Mills heavily advertises the virtues of Honey Nut Cheerios (the whole grain oats) in this regard.

I eat oatmeal most every morning, and sometimes Honey Nut Cheerios, and my numbers are good. That's not proving a cause and effect relationship, of course. As Bob suggests, exercise and weight control are important, too. I do pretty well with the former, while struggling with the latter. :)

I was going to mention oatmeal since it is a soluble fibre. Although I do not eat oatmeal, I have been taking Metemucil (which is made from soluble fibre) for years, and my cholesterol numbers are very good.

Rick:

Some friends have been taking non-flush niacin (a B vitamin) to lower cholesterol, and have had great success. Don't know brand, but they ordered it online.

My cardiologist told me earlier this month that he advises using niacin and also fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids) for his patients. Said if I can't find the non-flush niacin to call his office for info.

I'm on vacation this week and finding the niacin & fish oil are on my "must" list while I'm off.

Steel cut oatmeal (not instant oatmeal) and General Mills Fiber One Bran Cereal (an amazing 14 gms of fiber per 1/2 cup serving with only 50 calories). Soy milk/tofu are also excellent. Other foods to consider are wild salmon (grilled - no butter) and, of course, many high fiber veggies steamed - no butter. Don't forget almonds and blueberries.

Have you considered Omega III as suggested above? Many cardios highly recommend it.

if it comes in a box, don't eat it. That is the advice of Jack LaLanne. And exercise will lower LDL (bad) and raise (HDL) good cholesterol. Fish Oil can also help raise your HDL.

Impact of BP meds maybe?

Impact of BP meds maybe?

Thanks for the comments, all useful:
1) The macadamia nut oil comment is something I did not know and will look into doing, if feasible where I am at.
2) The oatmeal is something I will look to see if I can buy naturally too.
3) The last comment from Scot also usefil. I am divorced and live alone and tend to eat a lot of cereal with milk as dinner or order food in so I do eat a lot from a box, which probably is not made with heart health in mind but with costs and flavor primarily in mind.
4) I will look into the fish/oil omega acids supplements and can find those.

In am already thin and have lost the 35 pounds extra weight my cardiologist indicated I should lose, a recommendation he game me when I was diagnosed March of 2008. I have also been told not to engage in competitive sports and I am a competitive person; so was told the safest thing was brisk walking for 30-45 minutes. I have been doing that 2-3 times as opposed to the 5-6 times suggested. So I need to improve on that.

The thing that is most perplexing is that my LDL has gone from 80 to 130 (or 117 latest) during the year and a half I dropped significant weight, stopped eating fast food and sodas, and started the 2-3 times per week walks (prior to that my biggest exercise was lifting my thumb when I changed TV channels on the remote - my job is a desk job).

I wonder whether Altace 10mg (Ramipril), Coreg (Carvedilol), benzodiazepams or baby aspirin (81mg) can impact cholesterol negatively?

I will do what I can do but cant help but wonder about the heart meds (ACE inhibitor at high dose, low dose Beta Blocker etc). Anyone ever heard of such potential negative interaction between heart meds and cholesterol?

Rick

Just a thought -- you might ask your doctor about Caduet, a med that reduces both high blood pressure and high cholesterol. However, it is rather pricey, being a brand name instead of a generic.

Zetia is a Brand Name Drug Alternative to the Statins and has fewer side effects.

Two Statins, Zocor (Simvastatin) and another (I have fogotten which... the one with the least side effects) are effective reducers of LDL and available in Generic form but do have side effects that some of our members prefer to avoid.

My herbal,which is a little dated, lists artichoke,fenugreek, ginger,green tea, guggul,red rice yeast,reishi, and garlic--but this comes from a book that was published in 2003. I believe that keeping up with your omega's(3,6 and 9) either from salmon or flax seed is helpful in a couple different ways,since it is known keep your veins and arteries healthy and smooth which helps to resist
the build up of cholesterol plaques.

I don't want to hurt any feelings,so please go to this website and read it carefully;
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

another excellent website:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

and another:
http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/evolutionpaleolithic.html

The Ornish diet plan will rasie your cholesterol. Ornish himself has had to admit that.
Carbohydrates in the form of grains-cereals, rice, breads and pasta will raise cholesterol. Atkins has been proven to be correct. (I can hear the screams now).

At best adding oatmeal to your diet may only reduce cholesterol a few points.

An overall dietary change is needed. You need to ask yourself how serious you are about doing this without statin drugs.

What I just posted is counter-intuitive. But science is bearing this out.

I have to chime in on a low-carbohydrate diet. After I found out I was diabetic, and was unable to drop blood sugars by eating "good whole grains" and low-glycemic index carbs, within days of starting low-carb diet, blood sugars came down into normal ranges and in less than 2 months on being on a low-carb diet, cholesterol and triglycerides both dropped over 100 points.

I eat probably 30-45 grams of carbohydates per day. No bread, rice, potatoes, starches, though I do eat maybe one low-carb tortilla a day or one of those Wasa crackers that taste like balsa wood. Main source of carbs are salad greens and veggies.

Luana; you can speak from experience. So can I. having a family history of high cholesterol, I watched mine rise over the years, dispite eating a diet high in "healthy grains" and low in fat. Not wanting to be on statin drugs with all of their associated side effects-I see these side effects daily in the patients I treat, I started doing the research and the results speak for themselves. My internist was demanding that I start a statin drug.

Like you, my charbohydrates come only in the form of vegetables and fruits, and the occasional drink of beer or wine. My diet consists of eggs, meats, fish, poultry, and cream in my coffee, as well as dark chocolate.

My total cholesterol is now slightly below 200, my LDL is well below 100, and my HDL's are off the scale. Triglycerides are also very low. These changes came about within 3 months of making the necessary dietary changes.

Many people are simply unwilling to make these changes. They ask "how can I live without bread"? "No cereal--what will I eat for breakfast".

Guess what---where is written that breakfast must be cereal? Madison avenue gave us that, along with all of the high carbohydrate "healthy grains" we see advertised.

carbohydrates are metabolized into sugars which are then converted into cholesterol by the liver. We need a certain amount of cholesterol in the body for proper hormonal functions. Statin drugs act by preventing the liver from doing this job--hence the potential for side effects. There are studies showing that people whose cholesterols are lowered too much suffer a higher incidence of stroke.

In the absence of excess dietary carbohydrates, fats in the diet are used for energy.
The more research that we do, the more we can see that we have been sold a "bill of goods consisting of falicies" regarding what makes up a healthy diet.

Here is a link to a 90 minute lecture provided by a pediatric endocrinologist at the Univ. Of California. it is well worth the time spent to watch. It will open some eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Rick, I don't know if this is helpful but sometimes a thyroid imbalance can contribute to high cholesterol.

I haven't been here for a while, so bear with me if I repeat something that's already shown up in the forum.

I have genetically high cholesterol, and have been on mega doses of Lipitor (80 mg) and Niaspan (2000 mg) for over fifteen years (since bypass surgery to deal with forty years of accumulated crap in my arteries). While I have some control over levels of serum cholesterol, some of it has to be addressed by drugs, and I've done fine over the years. After my AVR last spring, I ended up on lower doses of one BP drug and eliminated another, but the statin and niacin will be part of my life forever.

Diet is one of those factors that causes some folks to jump up and down on one side of the low carb/low fat line or another. The best advice I've ever gotten, however, was to follow the ancient Greek notion of "nothing to excess." Simply eat healthfully, without completely eliminating one particular group of foods (except for allergic reactions), and get plenty of exercise. Eat healthful fats (Omega 3s especially), complex carbohydrates, and cook for nutrition density. Eat desserts and high-fat/salt dairy foods sparingly, and do indeed avoid anything that comes in a box. Become a religious about reading labels: the fewer, the better. Look for extra salt and sugars, and try to cook from scratch (learn to if you don't already know how--it's a great way to attract friends) to avoid unnecessary additives.

One factor that doesn't come under the diet rubric is stress, which can cause LDL to rise. That's why exercise is so important in so many ways--it not only burns calories and aids BP, but it helps to reduce stress as well.

If we incorporate good oils, good carbs, lots of greens, nuts, berries, seeds, vegetables and associated fibers into our diets--and moderate amounts of meat (including the occasional bit of lean cow, pig, sheep, goat, buffalo, etc.) we don't have to look too far for things that will raise HDL and lower LDL. Supplements sometimes help, but only if you're not already eating well in the first place. At the moment I'm taking fish oil, calcium/vit. D, a multivitamin, and CoQ10, but nothing else except the various heart meds. Good company, worthwhile exercise, nutritionally sound food, and enough sleep are all means by which we can feel better.

Zetia, by the way, doesn't have the side-effect potential of statins, but that's because it's a different type of drug (it goes after the dietary cholesterol, rather than cholesterol in the blood). It's also somewhat controversial at the moment because at least one study indicates that it doesn't help reduce heart attacks. It's a component of Vytorin (a combo with a statin). The downside is that it's a proprietary drug not always covered by insurance formularies, or can require a sizable co-pay. It seems to have made no difference in my levels, and I'll probably go off it after my next doc visit.

I'm not sure any of this is helpful, Rick, but I would check into the stress quotient. You might also look into the role HDL is playing in your profile. The ratio is important (if your HDL is really high, it can help to ameliorate the effects of LDL), and so is the level of triglycerides. I'd ask the doc to recommend a visit to a dietitian, who can help you take a close look at what you might be able to do food-wise after you have all the numbers together.

Thanks, lots of good ideas

Thanks, lots of good ideas

Thank you all for responding to my question. I will
1. Discuss with cardiologist
2. See a dietician to have an evaluation of my current eating habits - travelling a lot for work does not help as eating out so much makes part of your dietary habits difficult to control (i.e if the hotel you stay at cooks with bad oil or you are invited to a business lunch at a restaurant etc)
3. As a new years resolution, I decided to give up steak for one month. It is my favorite food and tend to eat it 4-5 days a week. After I will try to limit my intake but have decided to do away with it for one month. I still get protein from non-fat milk etc.
4. Try to be more regular about my "brisk walks" : my cardio discouraged me from participating in "competitive sports or exercise" and lifting weights (aorta issue) but stated I should walk 5 or 6 days a week.

Hopefully I'll have better numbers to report in a few months.

My best wishes to all of you in 2010.

Rick

Back