Low Platelet Count and Liver Issues after AVR Surger.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike dab

I am 16 days post op and feeling better. But I just got a call from the Doctor that alarmed me; my platelet count is down and my liver function is off.

They told me to drink more water, stop taking Zetia, and come back Monday for more tests.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing? Should I be worried?

Platelet counts down, well, many of us were RX iron supplements after OHS...or we got blood transfusions.

the liver enzyme and Zetia, I know nothing about.

My GP was concerned about my low platelet count after surgery. It has since come back up on its own. It is on the low side of the normal range, but Dr. told me not to bother with iron supplement.

I was somewhat anemic before surgery, received 2 units of blood during surgery, and was somewhat anemic several weeks after surgery. I took iron supplements for months after surgery to reverse my anemia and build up my iron reserves. A year later, I'm still a little below normal on my iron stores (ferratin). I'm told it's not unusual. Not sure about the liver function. So far as I know, mine has always been normal.

Are you taking Zetia for high cholesterol? If so maybe that 's effecting your liver. Low platelets are something else. It could be your immune system is affecting platelets, antibodies may be coating your platelets (I have this) or if you were on heparin or lovenox, that will also affect platelets. I have had low platelet counts, post surgery they returned to normal, anytime I have a procedure where I bridge with Lovenox, they drop. Look at the medications you take, if any, and make sure they don't affect platelets. If it continues, see a hematologist.

Back