Low/No Salt Products

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Mimi and Shari

To Mimi and Shari

To Mimi, you may want to think about have low sodium meals for a little while. It is because after surgery, your taste buds get ultra sensitive to salt and you will have a little retension problem. I was not put on a salt-free diet, but to watch the intake.

To Shari, Premium crackers has a very low sodium cracker. I was not looking too hard one day and came across them. Takes some getting used to, but real good to low-sodium diets. Good luck in finding low-salt or salt- free products and share with us.

Caroline
St. jude's valve
9-13-01

Brussel sprouts

Brussel sprouts

I looooove brussel sprouts. My favourite vegetable. Do you have them in America? They are so tasty and really cheer up what to me is the bland taste of low salt food.

Brussel sprouts

Brussel sprouts

Golly...I love brussel sprouts, too, as long as they're not overcooked. Put a little Molly McButter on them and just steam in the microwave or steam them first and then the Molly. What is it in them that's a problem? Would cabbage also be a problem?

Hey Janie,

Thanks for the tip on the coumadin cook book! I hadn't even thought of looking for one. Rob won't eat any thing "green". I worry that he isn't getting enough nutrients from the veggies he will eat. Never mind the weight gain from only eating starchy veggies. His cardiologist tells him as long as he takes a multi vitamin he's fine. Maybe I can get some good ideas from the cookbook. He isn't on a salt restricted diet, he's not one to use alot of salt anyway. He does miss his spinach and broccolli!

CristiD (wife of Robthatsme)

Re bread. Every try makin your own? Or in a bread machine. You could leave out the salt - there's only about 1/4 tsp anyway. And it's very good from the machine. Just dump in stuff, go away, come back later and there it is. A whole slice is a meal!!

PS Love brussels sprouts, too. Brought my family up on them. They are listed in brother's coumadin book, tho, as one to watch out for and only do in small amts.

Thank you, Janie

Thank you, Janie

Janie...I see that we're almost neighbors. Where 'bouts in Texas are you from? I'm originally from Louisiana...Alexandria, but went to college in Natchitoches. My daughter lived with her dad for a year or so in Longview.

Thanks for the kind words and all the good food imfo.

Barbara

For Shari RE: Bananas and a lot of other fruits

For Shari RE: Bananas and a lot of other fruits

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Bananas and Tomatoes and a lot of other fruits yes, (technically, tomatoes are a fruit) you buy at grocery stores are often gas-ripened.

They are put into a sealed room and they pump a gas in that speeds the ripening process dramatically.

I don't know what the gas is, but it allows them to control the lifespan of the produce for storage and shipping.

Yuk.
Kev

update on gassing fruits

update on gassing fruits

hello all, i realize this is a old post.. (from last year), however i found it searching for recipies.. someone brought up the topic of gassing fruits... being in the produce biz.. i wanted to explain what it is and why we do it.. for future readers like myself who might stumble upon this thread..

bananas themselves produce ethelyne gas naturally. this causes them to ripen on the vine.. the industry gasses bananas's with ethelyne gas in a controlled environment to promote even ripening. if left to ripen on their own, some hands in a box would turn yellow quickly and others would take a long time. the forcing of the ripening allows for stores to get a consistant box of color to sell to consumers..

this gassing process is completely safe

thanks
christine

Back