Low Magnesium triggers atrial fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This has been just one of those days. A week or so ago I got a call from my GI doctor's office that she wanted me to come in and talk to her. The appointment was this AM. I woke up at 4 AM and knew I was in rapid atrial fib. I took my meds early and hoped it would go away on its own. It didn't. I went on in for my GI appointment and didn't bring it to her attention. She was explaining that I might need a portion of my colon removed due to recurring bouts of colitis. I wasn't in a receptive mood and thanked her for her concern.

Two days ago I had my annual cardiac check-up and had no real surprises. I had no changes in medication and I was in sinus rhythm. All my labs were in normal range. After seeing my GI doctor I went down one floor and asked to speak to my cardiac doc's nurse to find out how they wanted me to handle this episode of atrial fib. I ended up on a monitor with a rate of 140 at rest. I had more labs drawn and my Magnesium level was low. A few years ago we discussed this topic here on VR and then I took additional magnesium but got out of the habit since my multi vitamin also has minerals.

I'm back on it now and also Cardizem and Amiodorone again. I'm still in atrial fib but now the rate is under 120 at rest. I go back Friday for recheck and ?? cardioversion.

I had just gotten home with all my new meds and had a call to please pick my 9 y/o grandson from school...fever, headache, cough:(. I had promised to completely rest which kept me out of the hospital so my hubby picked him up. I think he has the flu. He has asthma so I hope not.

It is just a good reminder about how important Magnesium is. It is depleted by many diuretics just as potassium is. So many of us carefully replace our potassium but like me, get slack about our other minerals.

Hopefully, I can get back into sinus rhythm and I won't forget it again.

Wow..sorry to hear this...and scary too. I am really worried about going back into a-fib! I use to take a magnesium supplement every day for my heart....I read about it online and when my heart really acted up, (jumping and skipping) I would take it and it would do wonders for me. Since my surgery though I haven't had to take it....and they told me not to take anything without letting them know because of my INR. So, do a lot of you guys take magnesium? I still have some...just not sure about taking it now.

Mileena

I take magnesium supplements. I used to take a tablet that combined calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. Now my doctor prescribes a calcium and vitamin D pill, so I take the magnesium 2 hours after the calcium since my doctor said that the calcium is better absorbed if the magnesium is not taken at the same time. When I started with the combination pill, I wanted the magnesium more because they say that it can counteract the constipating effect of calcium. Now, as I continue to take magnesium, I think about the benefits of the heart rhythm as well.

Betty,
Atrial fib is no fun. I hope and pray that you will do better and self convert back to a nice slow sinus rhythm. Hang in there and try not to get the flu from your grandson.
Take care,
John

Oh, Betty-

You have so many things on your plate and they came all at once. I hope everything gets straightened out asap.

Sorry to hear that you had to go back on Amiodarone.

Have you ever tried Sotalol for A-Fib?
It has almost no side-effects (once your body adjusts to it). I'm guessing that Amiodarone acts more quickly so that is why Doc's like it. You might also ask your Doc about the new Amiodarone-Light (Dronedarone) that acts similarly to Amiodrone but with fewer and less severe side effects (and less interaction with Coumadin !)

'AL C'

Hi Betty -

Something else my doctors did for me once during A-fib was magnesium IVs. They had to be released slowly and caused a burning sensation at the entry point.

I think loose bowels can contribute to lower magnesium levels also; even some bp meds can contribute to that combined situation.

Hoping all goes well for you.

What kind of magnesium do you use? I just take a small dose of Slow mag but I have heard that some are better than others and have always been a little confused about which does what! It does seem to help along with my other meds.

Sorry to hear you're having afib. I'm in and out of it, but don't really feel it. Just had an echo on Tuesday, so I'm sure they'll want to bring it up if it's still there.

Unfortunately, I already take magnesium, so that isn't the answer for me. I certainly hope it works for you, as we know that it has for quite a few folks.

Very best wishes,

Sorry to hear about the a-fib, but glad you're getting it under control.

On the subject of magnesium--
* it can reduce cravings for sugar and chocolate
* it can reduce or eliminate migraines for some people

HTH,
Marcia

Ye ole magnesium soapbox..

Ye ole magnesium soapbox..

I've always been a strong proponent for magnesium. Betty, I know you remember the olden days when I use to be on my soapbox. I regret you have so much on your plate..and send out my hugs to you for quick and easy solutions.

Do you think magnesium is checked, along with potassium levels, in the routine blood work I have every four months? Is that how you keep track of yours?
I got into a real mess six months ago with low potassium. Something's going on again, and I wondered if I needed to mention it to the GP at my next appointment. The cardio never pays attention to any of the blood work results and has quit ordering it.:(
I hope you get this straightened out pretty quick, Betty.

Sorry to hear you're having afib. I'm in and out of it, but don't really feel it. Just had an echo on Tuesday, so I'm sure they'll want to bring it up if it's still there.

Unfortunately, I already take magnesium, so that isn't the answer for me. I certainly hope it works for you, as we know that it has for quite a few folks.

Very best wishes,

Had you started with the a-fib a while back or just since this last surgery? I was wondering how this recovery was going compared to the last one. Is this one more difficult? I felt really bad that you had to go through it all again. I don't remember reading if you have had a post-op echo yet.

Today is a better day for me. I've had a-fib episodes for over 7 years now but this last year had been really good. Some people can't feel it but even when the rate is controlled it can wear me out so if I don't have to adapt to it permanently I would prefer not to. So the good news is that I think I'm totally back into sinus rhythm.

I developed it (along with "pauses") when they overprescribed me on BP medication, a few months before the reop. They are still terming it "temporary," rather than chronic.

I had my first real post-op echo Tuesday. Haven't heard anything from that yet.

I'm glad today is a better day for you. You've really had enough of all this by now, and the Almighty should consider giving you a break from these issues.

Be well,

I developed it (along with "pauses") when they overprescribed me on BP medication, a few months before the reop. They are still terming it "temporary," rather than chronic.

I had my first real post-op echo Tuesday. Haven't heard anything from that yet.

I'm glad today is a better day for you. You've really had enough of all this by now, and the Almighty should consider giving you a break from these issues.

Be well,

Thanks, I've put in a special request (actually more for my hubby than me). Let me know your echo results. How are you feeling?

After my 3rd OHS, I started showing some A-fib patterns in my EKG's. My PCP put me on 250mg of Magnesium a day & that took care of the problem!

I hope that your issues are resolved soon!

Latest posts

Back