Lots of Foreplay some Kisses but

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken taylor

But no surgery, After my cath yesterday . The cardiologist and surgeon decided no go. They say keep doing what im doing until I show symptions. Best guess 6 months to 4 years. 4 years [Sure] any way I tried to get this done . Before the cath I was asked when I wanted surgery? my reply , how about in the morning. Any way all my veins look clean . Except the mamory. It is blocked, because the vein it was suposed to replace is still at 50% and working fine. It will most certain need a stent in the future. So Ill let you all know as soon as I pass out and wake up. GOD IS ALWAYS IN CONTROL!!!!!!!

I want to caution on the "until I show symptoms" instructions. Some of our members report they had no symptoms - and a totally jacked-up valve. Symptoms don't always tattle on a bad valve. I assume that they plan on doing annual echos?

YEP, it does NO GOOD to Bypass an ARTERY (not vein) that is still working.
The Guidelines I recall from years ago were to do Angioplasty between 70 and 90% blockage and Bypass when over 90%.

Re: AVR, my Cardio was hopeing to get 3 to 5 years with medication.

ONE Year Later, I got to Surgery "Just in Time".

WATCH your Symptoms Closely!

... and INSIST on another Echo in 4 to 6 months.

Al capshaw2 - After reading my post , you know I wanted to go for it . But they just said no. I thought they were close to doing the surgery but after two trips to houston ,they have the final say . And that vein was exactly the same 5 years ago so the good thing is no change. And I will get eco done every two months. The cost in Panama is 150.00 bucks so I will try and stay ahead of the game. God willing . I just wonder if my walking to stay strong will make things worse, But setting around and getting out of shape is no good either. It seems we are damed if we do and damed if we do not. I guess the new thing in my life is to try and live with this thing hanging over my head. THANK YOU ALL Ken

I'm a walker and my cardio fully supported my doing all the walking I could/wanted while he was watching my regurgitating valve. There is no doubt in my mind that staying in the best possible shape from good diet and exercise made a significant difference in how well I went through surgery and recovered.

Of course, check with your doctors about whether you should continue your walking.

While my cardio was watching my valve, I had echos every three months toward the end.

Best wishes.

That certainly is a turn of events...have to admit that the title of your thread certainly piqued my curiousity. ;)

Seriously, I had to wait almost 1.5 years from being told that I had severe aortic stenosis to 'now' for surgery. I complained of fatigue and palpitations, but the cardio. still waited. He didn't feel I was symptomatic enough, but did say it would be within 6 months to 2 years. These past 9 months (with no more additional symptoms), my aortic valve deteriorated very rapidly and the pulmonary valve as well. I am now scheduled for surgery. I have been told that I can do 'leisurely' activities such as walking. I am normally a very active individual and am trying to keep up with walking until the surgery date.
I think it is a great idea to continue to get echos on a frequent basis and keep some level of physical activity that is considered 'safe'. Keep us posted.
P.S. I would have been more comfortable with 6 month echos so I applaud you for being proactive in this area.

I have a very good cardiologist in Panama, actually he saved my life 5 years ago. And for 40 bucks a visit and 150.00 for eco I will wear that eco out I will go every two months, and if we see a change more often . I want to see change not damage. Ken

I didn't have any syptoms prior to my first AVR 7 years ago. When they took out the valve the surgeon told me the valve was around .4 My cardio at the time suggested sooner would be better than later after a treadmill test. I really don't know what would have happened if I would have waited for symptons to surface.

This time I believe this issue leaking more that stenosis and I'm definetly short of breath and tired more than normal. Have a surgicalical consult tomorrow. Yikes.

Just make sure you're not overlooking symptoms because you are used to living with them. And if you are ready to get this done sooner than later to spare any damage to your heart, you can always embellish your symptoms some. Before my surgery my cardio was asking me if I had this, did I experience that, etc. and I tended to say yes to much of it. That triggered a cath within six weeks and surgery within two months. When you know you have to have this surgery eventually, what's the use of waiting for possibly more damage to your heart?

Glad you have good care in Panama and seems you are going to follow this closely. Good luck!

Midge

I so soooo dreaded this surgery that I wanted to wait as LONG as possible with the hopes that maybe I would never have to do it, even though I was also being told otherwise. So, each time I would visit the cardiologist and he said "Not yet"...thats what I wanted to hear. As a matter of fact, I had the numbers worked out......I was losing .1 cm a year on my Mitral. So, the last couple of times I had an echo, there was so little change that I thought I had around 3-4 years before surgery. To help finances I decided to wait 18 months between check-ups. I made it to around 17 and was planning on a appointment with the doctor when I became ill SUDDENLY. I couldn't walk across the room without become so out of breath I had to sit down.

I asked my surgeon last Wednesday why my valve got so bad so quick and he said it's normal. Most people do it, AND he said the Aorta is the same. The only damage to my heart is a VERY enlarged left Ventricle. I was told this may never go back to normal. I know you can't force surgery when your doctor says to wait.....and AHA wants your quality of life to be down before having the surgery. The thing is, like the others I would say to keep a vigil on symptoms and be aware of what is normal for your body and not what you have learned to live with. Since I had surgery and am now healing I didn't realize how sick I had become.
I wish you luck.

Mileena

title caught my eye, too.

some thoughtful posts here. I wish you well and hope you will stay in touch with us as your life moves along. You can only gain more knowledge here and that's a very good thing. Blessins........

I so soooo dreaded this surgery that I wanted to wait as LONG as possible with the hopes that maybe I would never have to do it, even though I was also being told otherwise. So, each time I would visit the cardiologist and he said "Not yet"...thats what I wanted to hear. As a matter of fact, I had the numbers worked out......I was losing .1 cm a year on my Mitral. So, the last couple of times I had an echo, there was so little change that I thought I had around 3-4 years before surgery. To help finances I decided to wait 18 months between check-ups. I made it to around 17 and was planning on a appointment with the doctor when I became ill SUDDENLY. I couldn't walk across the room without become so out of breath I had to sit down.

I asked my surgeon last Wednesday why my valve got so bad so quick and he said it's normal. Most people do it, AND he said the Aorta is the same. The only damage to my heart is a VERY enlarged left Ventricle. I was told this may never go back to normal. I know you can't force surgery when your doctor says to wait.....and AHA wants your quality of life to be down before having the surgery. The thing is, like the others I would say to keep a vigil on symptoms and be aware of what is normal for your body and not what you have learned to live with. Since I had surgery and am now healing I didn't realize how sick I had become.
I wish you luck.

Mileena

Mileena -

THANK YOU for providing a Perfect Example of why some of us advocate Surgery Sooner rather than Later, to avoid the pitfall of Permanent Damage to the Heart Muscles and Walls.

'AL Capshaw'

Back