Loss of hearing after auortic valve replacement & by pass

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barum27

Lost hearing in one ear with tinnitus, noticed one week after op....is this normal and will it come back ?

Sorry no one responded. From what I read it is not normal. Maybe you have an ear infection or a allergy-sinus problem exacerbated by the hospital environment. Talk to your surgeon.

tom in MO;n856024 said:
Sorry no one responded. From what I read it is not normal. Maybe you have an ear infection or a allergy-sinus problem exacerbated by the hospital environment. Talk to your surgeon.
Thankyou very much for your reply....I did some research on internet and came up with loss of blood flow to ear when under surgery ! which may result in impaired hearing....but I will look into infection etc
thankyou.

Something else to check - your meds and their potential side-effects. Many years ago I had some chronic pain issues and took a lot of aspirin. I developed tinnitus - badly. I learned then that one of the side-effects of aspirin over-dose is tinnitus.

Not saying that you're taking too much aspirin, but suggesting that you explore the potential side effects of your meds and if you find that tinnitus is a possible effect, discuss it with the prescribing doc.

There is a condition called Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss which presents in this manner. It needs to be treated quickly, usually with a course of prednisone. It might be worth consulting an ENT just in case this is what's going on with you.

Latest posts

Back