Losing an icon...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Harpoon

I can't recall if this came up already here or not but if it hasn't I thought I'd mention it.

Oh, and this doesn't really apply to most of the folks here I know, but if you've got a congenital defect of some kind, you might pay closer attention to these sort of things....

A little birdy (from an email list I'm on) mentioned that Dr. Roger Mee is no longer practicing the fine art of saving lives at Cleveland Clinic. Word is he's left to finish out his career where he started, in Australia.

Mee set the bar EXTREMELY high when it came to treating infants and small children with congenital heart defects. His outcomes were far above and beyond that of most other surgeons across the world and he's somewhere at the top of the top five pediatric heart surgeons in the world, dpending on who's numbers you use.

I've got special place in my heart for Dr. Mee, he fixed it.... :cool:

I'm trying to get some more information from Cleveland Clinic to at least confirm the change.

Just some general information.

I'd still recommend Cleveland for any one with a congenital heart defect.

And for anyone that just needs a good heart mechanic! :D

Say it isn't so

Say it isn't so

I sure hope that Dr Mee hasn't left. He is my hero along with the others there who have helped save my live. I first met Dr. Mee in May of 2003 and I was very impressed with him. He did my ASD and Mitral Repairs on June 11, 2003. My family really loved him. He is so caring and so gentle with patients and I have seen him with the children. He is the best!!

I haven't been to Cleveland since Feb. But when I do go I seem to run into him and he always remembers who I am. I was the BIG KID in the pediatric Ward. I have seem videos on different surgeries that he has performed. He has done some amazing work and has saved many childrens lives, when there was little hope.

Do you have the book WALK ON WATER by MICHAEL RUHLMAN? It is great. I bought it, after the staff told me about it. It is about Dr. Roger Mee. I have read it and so has my son. We even got Dr. Mee to sign it personally. If you can, get it and read it.

Please let me know more if you hear anything. He is super and they would be losing the # 1 Dr. as far as I am concerned. I am alive today because of his great team and I hope that others will be able to have that chance, too. Thank you for the info and keep me posted.

Mary:

I've heard of that book. Ruhlman's name sounds familiar -- did he also write "Making of a Chef" and a sequel about candidates for the certified master chef exam at Culinary Institute of America? Those books were very well-written, ones you couldn't put down -- would be worth hunting for "Walk on Water."

I did some hunting last night at the office and I couldn't find anything on Dr. Mee leaving Cleveland or "arriving" in Australia (I checked his "old haunts," hospitals where he started out in Au before getting recruited by CCF to building their pediatric cardiac surgery facilities)

I then tried submitting a request for information through the CCF website and I'm waiting to see if I get a response form that.

Short of that, I may just up and call his office, I still have the numbers....

Misinformed

Misinformed

WHOOPS!!!!

Perhaps I spoke too soon....

>
> Dear Steve:
>
> I received your e-mail through the Cleveland Clinic Web Mail. No, Dr.
> Mee has not left the Cleveland Clinic. He hopes to work out another
> couple of years before he retires. When he does leave CCF it will be
> for retirement and to go back home to Australia & New Zealand with his
> family. However, there is nothing being planned yet (thank goodness).
>
> Take care. It was good to hear from you.
>
> Debra L. Gilchrist
> Department Coordinator & Secretary to Dr. Roger Mee
>

I'm going to go back and let that "little birdie" know it was wrong....

Many apologies. :(

And here I was thinking I might finally find a decent cardio who knew what they were doing!!!

Bugger...!

A : )

....seriously though, I know how hard it is to find someone "good" (..let alone very good.....or exceptional!!!..), so I'm glad you get to keep your gem. :)

A : )

Well you could always fly out to Cleveland.....

If you do, let me know I'll meet you there and show you around.

Not every day that someone flies from the other side of the planet to see a doctor so itwould be well worth going out of my way to help out.

Besides, gives me a good excuse to drop in on Mee myself AND I've yet to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I could probably get you cheep accomidations too. My aunt just loves me and I doubt she'd mind putting us both up for a few nights....

They got a big house....

Well thanks so much for the offer Harpoon. Unfortunately no energy = no job = no money = no swanky trips anywhere!! :( Doh!!

Actually, my dear ol' dad is springing for a trip to Brisbane later this year.... I've heard they've got a great ACHD centre there, so I may have to see if I can get a consultation while I'm in the area..! Any Brisbanites that can clue me in??

Cheers
Anna : )

Thanks Bob! I'm not even going to ask how you know this, but I appreciate you passing it on.

Cheers
Anna : )

There's another Australian Heart Surgeon practicing at the University of Alabama at Birmingham named Dr. McGiffin.

I was VERY impressed with his 'bed side manner' and willingness to answer any and all questions from patients and nurses alike while on rounds in the ICU. It was clear that he was respected by all. Lee and Lisa have both attested to what a great person and surgeon he is.

'AL'

Back