Losartan, aka Cozaar, prevents aortic aneurysm in a mouse model of Marfan synd

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff Man

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16601194

Aortic aneurysm and dissection are manifestations of Marfan syndrome (MFS), a disorder caused by mutations in the gene that encodes fibrillin-1. Selected manifestations of MFS reflect excessive signaling by the transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) family of cytokines. We show that aortic aneurysm in a mouse model of MFS is associated with increased TGF-beta signaling and can be prevented by TGF-beta antagonists such as TGF-beta-neutralizing antibody or the angiotensin II type 1 receptor (AT1) blocker, losartan. AT1 antagonism also partially reversed noncardiovascular manifestations of MFS, including impaired alveolar septation. These data suggest that losartan, a drug already in clinical use for hypertension, merits investigation as a therapeutic strategy for patients with MFS and has the potential to prevent the major life-threatening manifestation of this disorder.

Cozaar has been said to have a lot of different weird benefits that are kind of unexpected. I was on it for a couple years, but despite the good news about it's effect on aortas, my aorta still dialated.:confused:

Anyway, it's food for thought. I wouldn't go changing your medication just yet.

Nine years of Cozaar didn't help my enlargment. I'm at 5.1cm ascending aorta now.:(

upchurch131 said:
Nine years of Cozaar didn't help my enlargment. I'm at 5.1cm ascending aorta now.:(

when are you getting it repaired?

Maybe it does the exact opposite of what they think it does... who knows. I know that I never had an aneurysm before 2004 when my aorta was 3.1 cm and I just started taking bp meds.

Back