Looks like I'm taking the 4th quarter off of work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I just returned from a visit with my surgeon at UAB and he has given me a window of "anytime within the next 3 months." I told him I was hoping for a Fall surgery date and he said that's okay with him, as long as I schedule the surgery for sometime within the next 3-5 months, with a promise extracted from me that I will call him if I become more fatigued or more short of breath. I will have AVR and the aortic root. I think delaying a month or two will be okay if I pay attention to my symptoms. I still have good heart function even though I am in the severe category. Mean gradient went from 33 to 40 between Nov-Mar. UAB did another echo yesterday and mean gradient is still only 40, so it looks like I have a little time.

I feel very fortunate that I am allowed to choose the date. My employer changed our short term disability in January of this year to 100% coverage from days 8-70 ( you use your leave for the first 7 days). It is simply incredible and so much different from the first time I had surgery. I had no pay / disability insurance the 1st time around. I went a few months with no income until I was able to return to work. That was stressful. I am feeling so blessed that I am going to be able to focus on my recovery and not stress about getting back to work sooner rather than later. My boss is very understanding and has told me to take as long as I need, and at least the full 12 weeks of paid time. What a blessing!

I am planning surgery in September and then back to work in Dec/Jan. I will have a cath done here locally sometime soon and a CT scan at UAB the day before surgery. I am waiting on my cardiologist's office to call me with the date of the cath. Fingers crossed it will be through the wrist and not the groin this time around.

All in all, things are well with me. I am starting a list of things I want to get done before surgery time, including Christmas shopping :). I plan to make some casseroles and put them in the freezer to make meal prep easy on my husband. He does not cook at all. I am going to hire a seamstress to make some shirts for me that will snap or zip on the sides. I remember that lifting your arms over your head is a little tough at first. I'm sure there are many more things to put on my list; but, that's the start.

I have a peace about this. I am ready to move forward and get my shiny new mechanical valve.

You just can't beat that feeling of peace that we get knowing we get another chance for life :)

The waiting room can be tough at times but you have the right idea. Get those lists written and checked off, keep reading the forums here, and treat yourself to some new shirts or lounging items. I read a book on meditation and practiced it a bit also.

Much luck and share your journey with us. We understand as most of us have been right where you are now.

Try some front zippered sweatshirts. Lots of this at local goodwill or consignment stores.

That's a wonderful medical leave plan. I used short-term disability at 60% of my pay for 8 weeks and was glad to have it; I didn't pay any taxes because it's insurance, not income, so in effect my cash flow was the same as if I'd been receiving a paycheck after all deductions. Glad you get to pick your date, too. Best of everything going forward.

Michele

Lisa2 would you mind sharing the name of your cardiologist and surgeon. I live in Birmingham and have BAV with severe stenosis. I have not been completely happy with my cardiologist and am looking into a 2nd opinion. Thanks so much.

Thank you all for your kind words.

cfwlaw - I live in the Panhandle, near Pensacola, FL and my cardiologist is here. His name is David Miles. My surgeon of choice is Dr. James Davies, Jr. He is with the Kirklin Clinic at UAB. He sees patients on Tuesdays. This is Dr. Davies:

Davies, James, M.D.

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"James Davies, M.D.","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"150","title":"James Davies, M.D.","width":"150","src":"https:\/\/uab.edu\/medicine\/surgery\/images\/NewDirectory\/FACULTY\/Faculty2\/davies_new.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Associate Professor of Surgery
Division Director, Cardiothoracic Surgery
Chief, Section of Adult Cardiac Surgery
Surgical Director of the Cardiothoracic Operating Room
Associate Program Director, Cardiothoracic Residency
Chief Cardiothoracic Surgery, Birmingham Veterans Hospital

Clinical Interests
cardiac valvular disease
Research Interests
Contact Information

Email
[email protected]

Phone
205-996-9256

Last edited:
Thanks Lisa2. That is very interesting because I grew up in Beulah by Pensacola. My folks still live there. We visit Pensacola all the time. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Cindi

cfwlaw;n877048 said:
Thanks Lisa2. That is very interesting because I grew up in Beulah by Pensacola. My folks still live there. We visit Pensacola all the time. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Cindi

Cindi, it's a small world indeed. I actually live just past Beulah, in AL, about 2 miles over the FL border. I am not a native of this area; but, I've been here almost twenty years so it is home!

Wow!! It is a small world! My parents live directly across the street from the Equestrian Center. That was home. Good luck to you and it appears I may not be far behind. God Bless!

Dang, 12 weeks paid leave, that's awesome!!! I'm self-employed, I own a little salon and typically only work weekends and stay home with my kids during the week. Luckily I have savings, so taking time off was fine, but I have missed doing hair! I actually colored someone's hair a little over a week post-op and I started back at work yesterday which is a little over 3 weeks post op. I've been feeling great, been off Tylenol for almost a week, sleeping good, feeling like my old (but new) self! I hope your surgery and recovery goes well!

Yeah I fully understand your positive outlook. Its great you feel that way and its very realistic. What they can do today is just amazing! I was terrified my whole life with the prospect of OHS and then I went through it 3 1/2 months ago and was so surprised that it just was not so bad as I imagined, not even close.

dreamy885 , yes I am so grateful to have paid leave and disability insurance. This is my 2nd surgery. I lived off of my savings the first time around, so I empathize with you. That's amazing that you are back at work at less than 4 weeks post op!!!! I went back to work at 9 weeks after my first surgery. I'm hopeful that I will have a similar recovery experience this time.

mikeccolella, It is amazing what they can do! You walk into into a hospital and 5-7 days walk out, or rather get wheeled out :). I remember feeling so amazed and thankful that I was alive!!

Heart cath will be this Friday afternoon (6/16). It has been a long time since I've had one of those. The didn't do a cath before my first surgery because of my young age;but, I had one somewhere around 2-3 years before the surgery with a different doctor.

I was was a little surprised they told me to pack an overnight bag "just in case." I don't remember doing that all of those years ago. I just remember having to lie flat for several hours before they released me and then being confined to the couch for 24 hours or so after I got home. I am hopeful that this experience will be similar.

They did did tell me that it will be through the groin and not the wrist. I will post the results sometime this weekend.

My AVR and root replacement are scheduled for 09/13. I am hoping that the data from the cath will support my choice of timing.

Just continuing the chronicle of this journey -

I had the left and right heart cath a week ago Fri. and my arteries are clean, so I'm cleared for surgery. I don't know what the pressures are, not sure I actually care to know, but will find out at he follow-up appointment on 7/18. My dad died at age 63 of undiagnosed CAD, so glad I could check clogged arteries off of the list of concerns.

Latest posts

Back