Looking toward surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Hicks

I will enter AUB Hospital Sunday for surgery to replace aortic value and possibility aorta on Monday. This site has been a great blessing to me. When the surgeon from Birmingham called me after reviewing my records, I really had no questions because of this and other sites. I almost feel like an expert.

I had viral congestive heart failure ten years ago at which time they found my bicuspid congenital valve. I've done great in the last ten years, but now my left venticle(?) and the aorta have starting dilating even though my leakage is only moderate. The local cardiologist said I needed surgery and wanted it done locally, but since I have this CHF history, I decided to check out other venues. What I have found out about UAB is that it is a leading heart surgery hospital, and my doctor, Dr. Pacifico, is the best.

Anyway, I am doing good except that I wake up at about 3:00 in the morning and everything seems so scarey. I am staying busy, continuing to work. We live a little over 4 hours from Birmingham, so will have to get up early Sunday morning.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me including pointers on the surgery, hospitalization, after care, etc.

You will be in my prayers, Pat. Please let us know how you get along or if someone can post us when you are unable, it would be appreciated. I wish you well. One hint, get a SLEEP bra, not an exercise bra, if you can. It helps a lot. Godspeed

Surgery

Surgery

Hello Pat,
I just wanted to send you Kind thoughts and prayers
for your surgery, and wish you a speedy recovery,We
will all be thinking of you and your family.

Jan

Hi Pat - You sure do sound like an expert. Having the surgery while your conditions are still moderate sounds like a good idea. You found a good surgeon and good hospital. Excellent! I think you should not worry, you have done all you can, much better than average. Stay busy and keep your mind on what you will do after the surgery while you are recovering. Good luck and I will make sure you are in my prayers.

Back