Long term post surgery maintainence plan??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Hi Guys/Gals!

Its been 8 yrs since i had my mitral valve repaired at CCF. Doing great but have a question. How often do you still visit your cardiologist assuming no problems, symptoms or other issues? I hadnt seen mine for a few years and needed clearance for a gallbladder surgery and he bawled me out for not getting an echo every few years. I had one and it was fine. He also wanted a stress test which i declined. Curious as to what kind of schedule anyone in a similar situation is following. Im 53, male and in good health. I dont want to pay for any unnecessary tests. If i truly need them fine but would like a second opinion. Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I also had mitral valve repair. My cardiologist said that the only followup I need is to have my internist listen to my heart once a year to make sure I don't develop a murmur again. No echoes, no EKGs, no regular cardiologist appointments.

That said, I went to my internist recently because of a couple of days of unexplained low-grade fever (i.e. no upper respiratory symptoms). By the time I saw her I was feeling fine again, but I wanted to get checked anyway because of the possibility of endocarditis, mycobacterium chimerae, etc. Out of an abundance of caution she ordered not only a bunch of blood tests but also an echo. Everything was reassuringly normal.

I would actually prefer to see my cardiologist regularly and get echoes, just for the reassurance (plus he's a nice guy and I enjoy talking to him), but there's really no need for me to use that level of medical services unless something crops up.

I'm an aortic valver. I had the valve replaced 6 1/2 years ago, and I see my cardio twice a year. One visit is for an echo and then consultation regarding general heart health and the results of the echo (usually in summer), the other visit is simply an office consult where he listens to my heart, runs an EKG, and we discuss how I'm doing. Both very low pressure events for me, and it gives me some reassurance that things are remaining on track.

Oh, and I also see my device clinic once a year for a pacemaker interrogation. Then about 6 months later, they do a remote interrogation and email me the results.

Post mitral repair, I get echoes once or twice a year depending on cardiologist's call at each one. Definitely complying since one of my husband's colleagues never followed up after surgery and ended up with irreversible ventricle damage that could have been avoided with regular echoes.

I had an echo about 10 months after my AVR (september last year) at which I was told they'll see me again in 5 years time, so I guess they were pretty happy with the craftsmanship, so its eat sleep warfarin repeat :)

Warrick;n877512 said:
I had an echo about 10 months after my AVR (september last year) at which I was told they'll see me again in 5 years time, so I guess they were pretty happy with the craftsmanship, so its eat sleep warfarin repeat :)
5 years. That's brilliant.

I am two years out from surgery - have mechanical aortic valve conduit. I see my cardio every 6 months - they do EKG each visit and echo every year or two. I also see my surgeon for CT scan every two years (just had my follow up - all good!) although I have now requested every three years for surgeon visit and CT scan, as I am only 44 so not thrilled with level of radiation. They do have a new scanner with a much lower dose, apparently.

SMS, I am surprised that your cardio at the time did not go over the long term of visits, for you it would have been once a year. You need to get set up through you insurance, a new cardio and get am overdue checkup. You need to keep on top of your heart condition, even though you had repair, things tend to get bad after time, repairs are not guaranteed for life. I had my repair in 1973 at 8 years old and was told then about the future replacement of the aortic valve. Sure enough, after years of checkups as a child, when I grew up, no checks for some years. When I did get caught up. aortic valve had to be replaced. So glad when I got it, St. Judes' leaflet aortic valve. So get to a cardio as soon as you can arrange an appointment. Good luck and hugs for you today. :)

Latest posts

Back