little guy need prayers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here it is (I haven't even read it yet just copied and pasted)

here it is (I haven't even read it yet just copied and pasted)

May 08, 2006 at 10:05 PM EDT
This is a 2-part post. Sorry for my long-windedness, but there was a lot to tell since yesterday morning.

Part I:

2 Corinthians 4:
6 For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;

9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; . .

16 Therefore, we do not lose heart.

How kind of God to bring new mercy and healing THIS day. Although Corbin is still critical and not stable, I feel encouraged by many small steps reported today. I feel that there is improved understanding of his condition and improved strength in his body. I trust that these feelings are from God.

Corbin is off the nitric oxide, epinephrine and vasopressin, but the steroids have been increased. This helps maintain his blood pressure at a mean of 60, but hurts his immune system fighting the infections. They do not yet know the results of today's doppler of his extremities. The narcotic sedatives are being weaned and Corbin is awakening more, allowing him to move and cough and thus helping to loosen congestion in his lungs. The vent setting is 45% and he is breathing over it at times -- good news, but still a long way to go toward getting off the ventilator.

The kidneys are working well eliminating fluid and the catheter has been removed to help eliminate one infection source, but the bladder infection is worse and his kidneys are not cleansing as indicated by the high BUN and creatinin numbers. Nephrology and Infectious Disease doctors desire opposing treatments: the heavy duty antibiotics needed to fight the infection are damaging to the kidneys but the infections need to be controlled and kept from the kidneys.

They need to change as many lines as possible to help eliminate sources of infection and hope to change the subclavean line to a PICC. They need to change the ET (ventilator tube) where infection is colonizing, but he is not stable enough to remove it. His chest x-ray is looking better so they are uncertain as to why he requires so much ventilator support. He is down to 2 chest tubes and there is talk of removing them, despite continued drainage, because of the need to remove all plastics. They have restarted the thyroid medicine because his thyroid has not resumed normal function.

They have determined that there are four distinctly different infections working in the blood, bladder, chest and lungs, but his blood cultures are now negative for infection -- that may be the best news today. The fungal infection in the chest is different from the fungal infection in his bladder. The bacterial infection in his lungs is not responding to antibiotic treatment, which makes them wonder if the infection is in the plastic tubing. They won't know until they can change the ET.

Although his heart rate is generally good (130's), he has occasional PVC's and rhythm abnormalities that resolve on their own.

(Continue to Part II below)

243 May 08, 2006 at 09:59 PM EDT
PART II:
Three things make me feel (from 1000 miles away) that he's somewhat improved: He is awakening more and when he does, his blood pressure increases, but he will be comforted. He opens his eyes, lifts his arms and feet and wants to roll over. He's coughing more and loves those pink mouth swabs! They have now found a med to help him calm to sleep at night when Terri isn't there, which is not an increase in the narcotic sedatives.

Secondly, although the cardiologists maintain concern over Corbin's lungs and their ability to adjust to the fontan circulation, I find encouragement in Dr. Ohye's attitude. He's Corbin's surgeon who is "forever optimistic" but feels that Corbin's lungs, blood pressure and oxygenation will respond once the infections are resolved. Dr. Ohye's hands have been used by God to work miracles in Corbin on several occasions and we trust his opinion and wisdom.

Thirdly, I can hear some relief in Terri's voice. Granted, she was able to go to RMH and sleep last night due to comfort with staffing and careplan, but also more comfort with Corbin's condition, I believe.

Please understand that so much of this report is my impressions. Corbin now has pediatricians, cardiologists, pulmonologist, nephrologists, surgeons, infectious disease, hematologists and other -ologists I don't even know, rendering opinions and ordering (sometimes opposing) meds and procedures. He even has physical therapy apply special "boots" to help re-train his feet and leg muscles. But God is giving me a peace today that is new and brings joy to my heart, as I find new confidence in God's healing of Corbin. I keep hoping for the words "stable" in describing his condition, but my only real security is from the Lord, the Great Comforter, Who is telling me today that each of the "baby steps" add up to forward progress.

Your prayers sustain us and honor God, the Great Physician, who provides for Corbin. Thank you for your faithfulness to pray and to care for our family.
May God be glorified THIS day.
GrandPenny

Happy Mother's day

Happy Mother's day

May 13, 2006 at 10:28 PM EDT
Sorry for the delay in posting an update. All's well, but year-end events have all of us running in too many directions. Praise God these little boys have good dispositions, because they sure are on the go!

Be sure to check out the new photos on this page. God has given me my heart's desire for Mother's Day. I've prayed that Corbin would get off the ventilator and Terri would be able to hold him tomorrow -- the gift arrived early! Last night Terri held Corbin for the first time since his Code Blue "crash" 3 weeks ago. It has been a full month since his fontan surgery -- WOW!

Yes, Corbin is still extubated, although his CO2 reading is still high. The oxygen cannula is down to 3.5 - 4 liters with sats holding near 90, but his lungs are more "wet" today, so diuretics have been increased. Corbin is more comfortable now that he can regularly be rolled over, and they've removed the NJ tube. As soon as the vent was gone he started gagging on it, and since he's not being fed now, they pulled it. Doesn't his face look SO much better?!

The cath lab is "backed up" so he may not get in for a PICC line on Monday. Also, he will be scheduled for the OR next week to get a G-J tube through his G tube access so that his stomach can be vented while he is fed into the duodenum. He's currently on TPN and lipids.

So today was another day of rest and weaning sedatives. Corbin tries to open his eyes, but can only hold them open for seconds. Terri heard him say "op" (stop) when they were working with him, so we just wait for him to wean off sedation enough to be awake with eyes open.

Thank you for your faithfulness to pray. Please pray that Terri will enjoy an encouraging Mother's Day, feeling God's comfort and love, content with Travis and Corbin, and looking forward to a sweet reunion with the older boys. Please pray for Corbin's infections to resolve, for him to tolerate feeds, to tolerate weaning from the sedation, to gain strength, for his kidneys to work well and tolerate the antibiotics, to be protected from human error and for his lungs to clear and strengthen.

"I will glory in my Redeemer
Who waits for me at gates of gold
And when He calls me it will be paradise
His face forever to behold
His face forever to behold!"

And when I see Him, I will Praise Him, face to face, for all the blessings of THIS day.
GrandPenny

I'm so glad Corbin is extubated, and his mom was able to hold him.
He remains in my prayers.

Update 5/18

Update 5/18

May 18, 2006 at 08:11 AM EDT
URGENT PRAYER NEEDED: Corbin's lungs are both collapsed and he's struggling to breathe. He was receiving Xeoponex treatments for wheezing yesterday but by 9 pm he was retracting, flaring nostrils and panicking. They had to bag him, bring in x-ray, stop feeds, do an echo all while a Code Blue was going on elsewhere in a very full PCTU. They're suspecting withdrawal from the morphine as part of the difficulty, but even benadryl, chloral hydrate, versed and morphine could not get him sedated. They inserted 3 chest tubes without anesthesia.

Corbin is now "shocky" with low blood pressure and high respiration and heart rate. He's retaining 3 liters of excess fluid. Terri expects them to add a lasix drip, but continue albumen for low blood pressure. He's on 5 liters oxygen plus blow-by, but they are trying to avoid the ventilator as it is so dangerous to the fontan circulation. They will continue albumen to improve blood pressure and movement of the fluid. Terri found this situation when she returned from a visit last evening with a heart-mom.

Corbin was scheduled for a PICC line in the cath lab today, but that has been postponed. They may bring in a doppler to explore his right leg where the pulse has weakened.

Terri had a blessed time with heart-friend Colleen last evening. Colleen brought her favorite Mexican dinner and a devotions book. This morning Terri shared the passage for May 18, which is 2 Corinthians 1: 8-9, and I've included 10 - 11 as it is so appropriate:

"For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction . . . that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; Indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves in order that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead; who delivered us from so great a peril and will deliver us, He on whom we have set our HOPE. And He will yet deliver us, you also joining in helping us through YOUR prayers, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the favor bestowed upon us through the prayers of many."

Thank you for rejoicing with us in all that God has done and will CONTINUE to do to heal Corbin. Thank you for being faithful to pray. Our requests today are that:
God will fill Terri with peace and contentment with Corbin's care and she may have some rest after a very scary night;
Corbin's congestion will clear and his breathing relax for improved oxygenation and circulation;
Corbin's blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration will stabilize.

Terri had just brought in some toys for Corbin and had hopes of soon reaching the point of one-week post-op when they were moving to moderate care. He now has no interest in toys. Please pray that she will not be discouraged. Corbin is now 5 weeks post-fontan and I am tempted to fear Thursdays as they seem to bring great difficulties both during this hospitalization and his prior lengthy one! Please pray that everyone will have patience and wait on God's perfect timing with Corbin, not rushing any aspect of his recovery or treatment. Terri is so patient -- may God richly bless her with peace and rest.

To God be the glory for great things He has done and will continue to do to heal Corbin.
GrandPenny

I am so sorry to hear of this setback. Extra prayers heading up right now.

another update

another update

May 18, 2006 at 02:46 PM EDT
Corbin, "for whom God will provide".

God's mercy and kindness sustain Corbin and he is improving. Pain is the primary culprit as they cannot sedate him enough to relieve the discomfort. Terri reports that he is no longer clenching his teeth and hands nor lifting his legs as the sedation has been returned to continual drip. He is still working to breathe, with those telltale "grunts" at each breath, but the respiration rate is down and the oxygen saturation up at a reduced rate of 4 liters oxygen. His lungs show only 50% collapse. His blood pressure is now stable but he will get a 3rd unit of blood this week as his hematocrit is low once again. Diuretics have been increased and they've resumed half strength feeds at 5cc's/hour.

Terri's sister sat with Corbin a while so Terri could rest and she's feeling that he has improved somewhat -- thank you Sherri! Oh how the Lord loves to give us our hearts' desire. How we praise Him for His love and care for Corbin. How we thank YOU for your prayers and caring for Corbin. God is glorified by your faithfulness to pray and we are richly blessed.

Please pray for Corbin's lungs to clear, to open, for his G-J tube site to heal, for protection from infection, for relief from pain and for general stability and contentment. Please pray for Terri to get rest and have peace, and for Travis to feel at peace with being at work in VA while concerned for Corbin and Terri in Michigan.

Thank you so much,
GrandPenny

I will keep praying.

I will keep praying.

Poor baby..to not be able to relieve his pain must make it so hard for him. I will keep praying that he is soon on his way to complete recovery.

It is really hard for me to read your posts. It pains me utterly to think of your sweet little boy enduring such pain and hardship. I have a little boy who is about Corbin's age and I cannot imagine the heart ache you must being going through. Please tell Corbin's mother that we will be praying for her and her family and her little boy, Corbin. We hope it is God's will that Corbin remain with them and we pray for continued miracles. I don't understand the circumstances surrounding his surgery but I did look up fontan surgery and I undertand it to be the blood being re-directed in the heart so they can do surgery. God be with you!
--Janea

I pray that God in His perfect will will help relieve the pain that Corbin is in and that his family will feel a peace and comfort during this time that only the Holy Spirit can provide. They all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. LINDA

Oh my Corbin is an amazing little boy!!
I will add him and his family to my prayers!
that little boy has incredible strength.. he must be a very very special little man:)

thank you so much for the updates on him!

Mary said:
Lynn,
Any updates on Corbin?
Thanks,
Mary

he had a rough couple days, but now things seem to be going in the right direction here is the last 2 updates
May 23, 2006 at 10:20 PM EDT
2 Corinthians 4,
7But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;
9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
10We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
11For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body.
12So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Friends,

A few hours ago, I received a phone call from a very ecstatic Terri -- "Corbin spoke!" "What?" They asked him if he wanted to hold one of the percussion instruments, and he said "no". They then asked if he wanted the cheese from his plastic Subway build-a-sandwich toy, and he answered, "no". "Corbin, what do you want?" "Mama." What precious words! He also sat up on his own, today. The nurse positioned him to sit up and lean forward to support his weight on his arms and hands and he was able to hold himself there of his own strength for some time. Again, a very ecstatic Terri was able to take pictures and share her joy with others in nearby units. In the midst of many medical challenges and mysteries, we're reminded that Corbin isn't just a patient or a medical case -- he's a son, brother, nephew, grandson, and precious child of God and these small signs of a fabulous miracle being done are reason for much rejoicing!

In other news, Corbin's body continues to struggle with digestion. All oral meds have been resumed through IV, as Corbin's stomach is not absorbing nutrients or medicines. His stomach is swollen to three times its proper size, such that doctors are venting it continuously. Feeds will continue, as Corbin has no means to receive lipids through another line and must have the nutrition. A doppler scan to the neck showed good circulation and there didn't appear to be occlusions in arteries surrounding the subclavian artery. Finally, Corbin's PICC line is completely occluding the vein through which it is placed. Doctors prefer to have some circulation surrounding the line and will wait to see if the line clots (common when there is insufficient circulation) before deciding on alternative measures. You may recall that they have exhausted all optimal options for PICC placement, including both legs, and finding an alternate site could prove difficult. There is talk of adding heparin (anti-coagulant) to Corbin's drug-cocktail if the occlusion becomes more problematic and, though I won't go into all the details of his history with heparin, it is reasonable to say that Corbin cannot safely receive heparin based on past adverse reactions.

I will trust that the above helps you to know how to pray. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

Lattany

May 24, 2006 at 06:13 PM EDT
You who have grieved with us in our grief are invited to share in our joy as we rejoice in God's great kindness and mercy. Corbin has had his "best day ever" since the fontan surgery, 6 weeks ago tomorrow!

Terri reports that today he has been held by her or by a nurse most of the day, watched a movie and was sitting up and throwing blocks! She thinks she saw a smile. His trials off CPAP have gone well so he's now 8 hours on and 8 hours off and his feeding has been increased to 15 cc's/hour. His chest x-ray looks a little better. The only negative news is that he's running a fever and his incision and a chest tube site do not look good, so they're putting him back on the "big gun" antibiotics and antifungals. All other meds and treatments are the same, for the most part.

Thank you for your faithfulness to pray and enjoy this opportunity to rejoice in witnessing as the Lord "surprises and delights" us by giving us our hearts' desire. May God be glorified THIS day.

GrandPenny

Lyn
www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

Better news, but it looks like we've still got a way to go.
Please keep posting updates, if you don't mind.
Thanks,
Mary

thur 5/25

thur 5/25

May 25, 2006 at 11:55 AM EDT
"But as for me, I shall sing of His strength;
Yes, I shall joyfully sing of His lovingkindness in the morning,
For He has been my stronghold,
And a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my strength, I will sing praises to God;
For God is my stronghold, the God who shows me lovingkindness."
Psalm 59:16

Can you stand some more really good news?! Are you just as excited as I am to hear what God has done?! This morning Corbin took a stroller ride outside! His wonderful nurse Erica made the extraordinary effort, while he was off CPAP, to disconnect his feeds after his chest tubes were removed (they are not draining the right places), and load him up with his IV tower to take a tour of the hall and atrium. Terri says she could tell how excited he was by his hand movements, but after a coughing fit he became VERY tired and could not hold his head up for the ride back. They have left the stroller by his bed in hopes that this can become part of his recovery routine!
Please understand that he is still in very serious condition in ICU and has to make considerable improvements in many regards before even being considered for moderate care.

Praises: His lungs are better with only 1/4 collapse in each and nothing has grown yet on the cultures. Corbin is enjoying being held, awakens for longer periods and is comfortable. He is tolerating his feeds. The doctors are concurring with Terri that they need to move VERY slowly in changing his meds and the nurses are reminding them! He will now only be on CPAP at night with nasal cannula by day.

Please Pray that: the fever will diminish and any infection will resolve; the excess fluid in his body will be eliminated; his stomach will begin to work so he can return to full feeds; he can tolerate reductions in the narcotics; Corbin will be able to breathe effectively without CPAP; and, he will regain strength. Please pray also that Terri will remain patient with the need to move slowly in Corbin's recovery and the expectation that she has many, many more weeks in the hospital yet. Please pray for Travis' back to improve and for him to be able to have sweet time with the older boys this weekend. Please pray for the wonderful doctors and nurses who care for Corbin and so many others. May they be blessed as they work with skill and wisdom and patience so tirelessly to serve their patients and their families.

We thank God for YOU and praise Him that you do not grow weary of praying for our needs and for the recovery of our precious Corbin. May God be glorified THIS day.
GrandPenny

Back