little guy need prayers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's been a week since they could do no more

it's been a week since they could do no more

April 30, 2006 at 09:01 AM EDT
Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow! We rejoice this morning in His great Goodness. What a difference a week can make as God continues to answer each specific prayer.

This time last week the doctors were saying there was nothing more they could do. This morning there is no bleeding and Corbin succeeded in a 3 hour trial off the ECMO circuit with just a little epinephrine, vasopressen and milrinone. He is still on LOTS of narcotics to keep him calm. Last night he was kicking and scooting so much that he kicked the doctor in the chest! Nearly 2 weeks of immobility and he has strength to fight and muscle tone to kick -- praise God! All that activity is not good on the ECMO machine, so they've had to increase the sedation and paralytics while they prepare him to come off the ECMO. We need lots of prayer at this time, because anatomically Corbin can never go back on ECMO. This is his second stint on it and he has used up all access points.

Praise God for Corbin's strength and progress. Please pray:
That Corbin's lung will continue to improve -- last x-ray showed upper lobe still collapsed;
that Corbin will be calm and comfortable, able to come down on the narcotics;
that no infection will grow and he can come off of some antibiotics;
that Corbin's body and skin will remain strong and protected from weeks in bed;
that his kidneys will manage output -- now he's eliminating TOO much and is off all diuretics;
that the doctors will have skill and wisdom and PATIENCE allowing enough rest time and not pushing Corbin too fast and changing too many variables at once;
that the medical team will skillfully prepare all aspects of Corbin's care toward removing him successfully from ECMO at just the right time;
that Terri and Travis continue to lean on God whose timing is perfect in ALL things;
that they continue to rest well and draw strength and patience from the Lord and Giver of Life.

We have great Hope because of our faithful and powerful God. May He receive ALL Glory and Honor for preserving Corbin and upholding our family through this continuing trial. We pray that every one of you would feel the love and care of God in your situations as well.

Thank YOU for your precious prayers and for standing beside us because you care. May God be Glorified in ALL things THIS day.

GrandPenny

Until he is released from the hospital, Corbin will remain in my prayers.

Lynn,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Corbin is certainly a little fighter. Praying still that God gets him through this quickly and back home with his wonderful family.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow....

I will continue to keep that little fighter and his family in my prayers.

a few extra prayers please

a few extra prayers please

229 April 30, 2006 at 03:55 PM EDT
"My feet are firm held by His grace."

I'm beginning to think that Corbin's sedation should be shared with GrandPenny! Terri just called to say, "They are decannulating your grandson." Well, it was a tense moment until I realized what that must mean -- taking him off the cannulas for ECMO. We didn't expect that to happen today, but Terri will call when it is complete and they have seen him. PLEASE PRAY. Although exciting, this is very dangerous and he cannot go back on.

We pray for God's divine intervention again to sustain Corbin during the change in circuit and to guide the surgeon's hands as they close off the carotid artery and jugglar veins that have carried the ECMO circuit.

I'll post as soon as we hear how Corbin is. God loves to surprise and delight His children. We await His blessings. Because there is God, there is Hope. Making this quick so you can PRAY!

GrandPenny

Hopefully all will go well and Corbin will take this huge step toward recovery, thanks so much for all the prayers, lyn

so far so good

so far so good

:)
April 30, 2006 at 05:53 PM EDT
Blessed be the Lord, Great things He has done!

Corbin is successfully off of ECMO! I don't know any details except that he's on his way back to Pod A (PCTU) and T&T are with him. That means things are going well because they're kept in the waiting room whenever there are serious difficulties or procedures happening.

Thanks again for your faithfulness to pray. What a privilege to share with you all that God is doing for Corbin and our family.

GrandPenny

and the rollercoaster continues

and the rollercoaster continues

April 30, 2006 at 06:47 PM EDT
This roller coaster ride feels more like an off-cable elevator.

Terri just called for URGENT PRAYER. As soon as they moved Corbin his oxygen saturations dropped from 90's to 60's, the ventilator is not ventilating him and they are "bagging" him continuously.

I'm so sorry to be sending such contrasting and ever-changing messages, but that's the situation at present and all we can do is offer Corbin up to God, once again, for His intervention and healing. Thank you for your prayers and I pray that I can soon write with better news that he is stable.

To God be the Glory, THIS day,
GrandPenny

Just saw this on the care page as I have been following this story since you posted about it Lyn - will be thinking of them hard and hoping for a miracle for Corbin!!!! Come on little man, fight hard!!

Emma
xxx

and a little better

and a little better

This family and their faith (not to mention what a great job grand Penny does w/ updates) really amazes me. Thank you so much I know the family really appreciates all the prayers and good thoughts going their way, Lyn
^^^^^^^
30, 2006 at 10:04 PM EDT
Thanks for your prayers and the many messages. The scripture you've shared sustains us, and all who read these pages are blessed by your thoughtfulness.

Travis just called and feels that Corbin has stabilized in oxygen saturation. By giving back the epinephrine and returning, once again, to nitric oxide, Corbin is staying in the low-mid 80's %. His blood pressure is ok and they confirmed proper placement of the ventilator. The docs seem to feel that since this has happened each time he's suffered trauma (such as today, coming off the ECMO circuit), that it will resolve with some time.

Thank you for your faithfulness to pray and please know how much we appreciate and thank God for each of you who care for Corbin. Please join me in praying that T&T will get good rest tonight and awaken with joy in God's new mercies for tomorrow.

GrandPenny

angel.gif

angel.gif

what a little trooper corbin is

what a little trooper corbin is

(Lyn here, I just wanted to give Corbin's page again incase anyone would like to read what a fighter he is (not to mention the amazing faith of his family. He also survived EMCO during the 2nd surgery, I can't think of another child that has been on it 2xs anyway his page is www.carepages.com (you probably are registerred for carepages from checking on 'our" little katie
then corbingrabb speaking of Katie if anyone joined after her last (and hopefully final, )surg her page is KatelynSteffen
another amzing one of our "heart kids' Lyn)

May 03, 2006 at 09:42 PM EDT
"A little better each day". What glorious words from Travis this evening.

There is not much NEWs today, but steady and onward. Corbin's on the minimum amount of nitric oxide and the minimum dose of epinephrine, but not quite ready to come off of either. Oxygen saturations holding in low-mid 80's and mean bp 55-60. They've just begun feeding him a little pedialyte through the J tube extension of his G tube (into the intestine). Probably the very best news is that he's required no additional sedation (beyond the planned IV drips) and is signing "more" and "milk". My household is rejoicing that Corbin is signing -- it indicates so many positive things after all he has endured the past 3 weeks.

Today the older boys received special gifts they selected from the generous gift certificate sent by a heart-friend. Gunnar and Aiden have taken up roller blading and Brodie has his favorite vehicle, a frr-angin (fire engine). The boys were thrilled to be able to choose something they wanted and kept saying how great it was for someone they don't even know to send them a present (there have been a number of those this week and the boys are truly appreciative -- so is GrandPenny -- great distractions!)

A dear friend was up in the wee hours last night praying for us -- that must be why I slept so soundly -- and shared this scripture with me this morning:
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
2 Corinthians 4

We Praise God for His mercy and kindness that has sustained us thus far and will continue without end. His Promises of Unseen eternity are enough. We Praise Him also for what is seen. The joy of Corbin's recovery, those precious hands signing, living proof that Corbin is still Corbin, after so much trauma. How kind of God to bless us with the seen AND the unseen. How kind of God to sustain Corbin's life. How kind of God to provide YOU to support us through the trial. How very kind of God.

Speaking of "seen", I may be visible as the one to update this carepage, but I want to tell you about the wonderful man these grandsons call "Pa". Pa took Aiden to work with him, rushes home every night ready to help, takes the boys to the lake to throw rocks so I can get some work done (yes, we're trying to keep 2 businesses going), runs errands with whomever wants to go along, always has gummi worms ready for little boys, has a lap full of boys every Sunday at church, takes over driving the 3 teens whenever he's home, works a second job/ministry after a full week of work, calms anyone in the house who is troubled, gets us up to have devotions first thing in the morning, returns grumbles with kindness, reigns me in when I over-commit, encourages a son who just lost his job, comforts a daughter involved in an auto accident, spends a day of medical appointments with a daughter who broke her toe, calls regularly to make sure I know how to reach him, shows up regularly with my favorite latte, and tries to keep me calm as I enter week 3 of NO COMPUTER for our businesses! Yes, you're right, he should be nominated for "saint-hood". That's "Pa" to 4 little boys, "Dad" to our children and "Coach" to the world; not in the front row, but on the mission God has designated for him. Hasn't God been so good to us? WE rejoice with you in that which is "seen" and what is "unseen" in your lives. May God be glorified THIS day.

Thank you for your prayers, dear friends.
GrandPenny

not doing well

not doing well

I didn't post yesterdays so I'll post it first then todays the little guy needs lots of prayers, Lyn
May 04, 2006 at 11:44 AM EDT
Is there a perfect scripture for today? Try the entire book of Psalms. Thank you for your messages of scripture reminders I read on this site each day. I am focused on Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the substance of things not seen, the evidence of things hoped for." This roller coaster ride of Corbin's surgery and recovery for the past 3 weeks is an intensification of what our lives reflect. Lattany has selected this Psalm:

Psalm 42
5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.
My soul is downcast within me;
therefore I will remember you . . .

7 Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

8 By day the LORD directs his love,
at night his song is with me?
a prayer to the God of my life.

11 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.

Terri called this morning to say that what ground Corbin gained yesterday was lost overnight. Apparently the reason we received little news for 2 days is that T&T have had to be "on their toes" in advocacy for Corbin due to inconsistent staffing. They have worked to improve the situation and feel that there is an acceptable plan in place today. Corbin begins receiving physical therapy today to improve the joint movement and muscle tone in his limbs. He's tolerating 6cc/hour pedialyte by the J tube.
Corbin was off nitric and they were accepting less-than-optimum levels to allow his body to work to improve in all areas today. Then we received another call that he was back on nitric and they are working to maintain blood pressure and increasing the vent settings to improve oxygenation.
An hour later I received the tearful call that the chest culture taken Monday had grown the same fungal infection that was in his bladder. The bladder's been treated with anti-fungal "washes", but since they can't do that in the chest cavity they must now begin a very strong IV that requires benadryl and Tylenol before each injection.

Hebrews 11:1 is my "song" today. Thank you God for all that you will do in Corbin's life and in us who call on Your Name. We know that you are working good in ALL things because your promises are faithful and true. Thank you God for your peace and for the knowledge that we are right where you want us to be.

Please pray that Corbin will be free of fungal and bacterial infection; that he will have consistent, skillful, wise, diligent and loving care; that T&T will be content with his careplan and able to leave to eat and rest; that Corbin's body will respond to medication adjustments; that God will grant him healing strength and comfort during treatment. We thank God for the precious child, Corbin, "for whom God will provide" and for the faithful friends who stand beside us in prayer.

GrandPenny

May 05, 2006 at 09:14 AM EDT
I went to sleep last night and awoke again this morning only by God's grace. Both times I was singing the words written by Casting Crowns, words written for worship, and my heart sings. . .

"I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You"

Praise Be to God that He is faithful and true. We can always find Him because He is unchanging. I find comfort this morning in knowing that God loves Corbin even more than all of us do. I find comfort in God.

Corbin had a "bad night" and the nurses are expecting blood labs to confirm sepsis. His blood pressure is very unstable and he is not tolerating movement. He is on the maximum dosage epinephrine but they also have vasopressen available to give, if necessary. They feel that it may take a few days for the anti-fungals and antibiotics to relieve the infections. They are attempting to clear his chest tubes in hopes that will provide some relief. His lungs are congested and cannot be suctioned at this time.

Mercies for today: Two of the nurses will come in voluntarily this evening to sit with Corbin (in addition to his 2 nurses on duty) so that T&T can leave the hospital, with a pager, and go out to dinner with Terri's sister and her husband. Terri did not leave the ICU last night and they've been there now 3 weeks -- this will be a blessed respite.

Please pray for God's healing hand to work another miracle of healing on Corbin; that he will be free of infections; that his blood pressure will stabilize; that he will become responsive; that he is comfortable and content; that he will be protected from human error; that all who see him will feel the love of God; that T&T will feel God's "peace that passes all understanding".

Because there is God, there is Hope, and we pray for healing and complete recovery.
May God be glorified THIS day.

GrandPenny

I have Corbin in my prayers at all times. Truly it is in God's hands.

He is still in my prayers. Thank you for reminding us how good our lives are.

Oh, Lyn.................

Oh, Lyn.................

I just read this a while ago on Corbin's page.................He is still very much in our prayers. Thanks for updating. Hugs. J.

What's the latest word?

What's the latest word?

Lyn,
What's the latest on Corbin?
I've been gone and was almost afraid to look, but when I did, I see there's been no update.
I hope he's holding his own.
Mary

Latest posts

Back