Lipoprotein or LP(a) + HDL

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone here had any luck lowering Lipoprotein or LP(a) and/or raising HDL ?

I suspect both those may have contributed to having Calcified Aortic Stenosis as well as calcification of the arterial and cardiac systems.

I just had my LP(a) checked and it was 88 ! I am doing Niacin since August to try bring it down..Trying to go more keto and do more intermittent fasting, low (bad) carb

My HDL has been stuck in the 30's since I was 27---drugs, diet and lots of exercise do not seem to bring it up.

Thanks !

My LP(a) is fine but I have had to work to get ldl down and hdl up.

How much niacin do you take? You probably need about 2 g/day. I take extended release niacin.

Good video by Dr Davis of Wheat Belly fame (I raised my HDL by 350%).

And this looks like a good video for lp(a).

Last edited:
My HDL sucks, always 37-38 and they tell me to exercise is only way to boost it, I do workout 40 minutes 4 days a week for years. I tried real niacin and while my HDL went up I got side effects of my skin getting dark blotches and had to stop. Tried daily glass of red wine with in consistent results. My LDL and overall ratio is decent so I gave up. After my pre-OHS cath and them telling me my my arties looked clear I give up on HDL for now.

Keith yes I have heard increased cardio/exercise can raise HDL as well as niacin...My LDL was last tested at 75--my HDL is no more than 37

My LP(a) is fine but I have had to work to get ldl down and hdl up.

How much niacin do you take? You probably need about 2 g/day. I take extended release niacin.

Good video by Dr Davis of Wheat Belly fame (I raised my HDL by 350%).

And this looks like a good video for lp(a).

Rich thanks..I have heard of the wheatbelly guy --will have to check him out again

Keith yes I have heard increased cardio/exercise can raise HDL as well as niacin...My LDL was last tested at 75--my HDL is no more than 47

Has anyone here had any luck lowering Lipoprotein or LP(a) and/or raising HDL ?

I suspect both those may have contributed to having Calcified Aortic Stenosis as well as calcification of the arterial and cardiac systems.

I just had my LP(a) checked and it was 88 ! I am doing Niacin since August to try bring it down..Trying to go more keto and do more intermittent fasting, low (bad) carb

My HDL has been stuck in the 30's since I was 27---drugs, diet and lots of exercise do not seem to bring it up.

Thanks !

I don't believe there is any definitive proof that any type of drug therapy, exercise or food that will stop aortic stenosis. There are ideas, but not empirical proof.

And have you had any feedback/tests if its making a difference?
Im on K2D3 combination as I read the D3 helps put the calcium in your bones rather than ur heart.. I have MV calcification happening
Figure might at least slow it down

Niacin dose was prescribed by the doc, Dad described it as “massive.” A lot of people don’t pursue niacin because the hot flashes and flushing are significant but my dad is pretty calm about things like that.

And have you had any feedback/tests if its making a difference?
Im on K2D3 combination as I read the D3 helps put the calcium in your bones rather than ur heart.. I have MV calcification happening
Figure might at least slow it down
I did Google searches on K2 and mag that supported this.>D3 still confused about

Niacin dose was prescribed by the doc, Dad described it as “massive.” A lot of people don’t pursue niacin because the hot flashes and flushing are significant but my dad is pretty calm about things like that.
Flush is cool..I took Niacin as far back as 1997 for tinnitus

Has anyone here had any luck lowering Lipoprotein or LP(a) and/or raising HDL ?....<snip>......Trying to go more keto and do more intermittent fasting, low (bad) carb

High dose vitamin C can help protect those who have high levels of Lp(a) - not sure if it lowers it but it protects from it’s effects on the arteries. Google 'Lp(a) and vitamin C’ for more info.

My HDL used to be a good normal level of 70. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 and adopted a very low carb Paleo diet of around 30g carbs per day in divided amounts (as per Dr Richard Bernstein’s protocol). You could call it keto. Very low carb diets naturally mean that one has a high fat diet (saturated and monounsaturated fats mainly) and moderate protein. As time went along, to my surprise, my HDL levels rose steadily, measured six monthly, it peaked at 150 but averages 135 now. At the same time my triglycerides fell, though my total cholesterol and my LDL rose very high - that is often a normal result of a very low carb diet. Also because LDL is only calculated using the Friedewald formula, it's not measured accurately as the HDL, triglycerides and the total are, and the Friedewald formula is not accurate if you get very low triglycerides, eg mine are 44, which are as a result of low carb. Carbs raise triglycerides.

So one way to raise HDL can be a keto very low carb/high fat diet but no point in doing it intermittently.….it takes a few years of steady rises. This has happened to others on high fat/low carb. I eat very well, plenty of non-starchy veggies, meat, oily fish, eggs, nuts, and fats such as coconut oil.

Btw, my diabetes consultant thinks my diabetes has resolved as a result of the very low carb diet as my blood glucose measurements are so good and my HbA1c is in the non-diabetic range. I’m having two more measurements to check that it really has resolved. I will keep to low carb Paleo even if diabetes resolved as I eat so well on it.

I also take vitamin K2 as MK7 to make sure calcium goes to my bones, not my arteries, and I take vitamin D3.

Latest posts

Back