LionHeart-Six days til AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheart

I’m scheduled for aortic valve replacement next Tuesday March 4th, 2008, so I’m seeking encouragement as I prepare for the climb over the mountain. I’ve been reading VR.com for several months and really appreciate the knowledge and experiences that people so openly share and thought it was time to stop lurking and introduce myself.

I had Coarctation of the aorta repaired when I was 11 and for the last 7 years have been monitoring a bicuspid aortic valve (BAV) through Echos. My cardiologist said some day I would face surgery, but I figured not until my late 50s. Well, I figured wrong, my cardio said it was time last August. He confirmed it with an angiogram in October that also showed that my coronary arteries were in good shape, so I don’t need a bypass which is good news.

The valve is stenotic and incompetent. Back in October my AV opening was about ½ the normal size (1.4 cm^2), mean gradient (pressure?) was about 50 mm Hg, and ejection fraction was 50-55%. Last week the Cleveland Clinic measured an aortic valve opening of about 1/3 normal (1 cm^2) and a gradient of 88 mm Hg, so it’s getting worse. They did a Cat-Scan Angio (CTA) and found the old coarc repair was in good condition but found a moderately enlarged ascending aorta (4.5 cm dia.). The cadio there said it would have to be replaced but my surgeon assured me that if the aortic tissue was in good condition, he would first attempt a repair to resize it. That was somewhat comforting. The surgeon was confident but not cocky and I really trust him. Although my surgery is fairly routine, I am very glad to be able to go to Cleveland Clinic- Overall, I was really impressed with the place. The people were knowledgeable but very friendly and helpful. It’s a big place but the people make it feel personal. Worst part about the place is the high cost of lodging at the close motels.

For the most part, I am asymptomatic, but there are times (now most days) when my batteries feel a little run down. I guess I am somewhat fatigued but I can still go out and ski or walk for several miles with little trouble- although I do develop a little throat-clearing cough when I go hiking or skiing in the mountains. In the past I attributed the cough to an allergic reaction to trees, but now I think it might be due to my stenotic valve.

I’m hoping to connect to some of you valvers that are physically active.

I am 52 and active with hiking, biking, rafting and cross country skiing. Not that I do these things all the time. A lot of the time I'm sitting on my butt in front of a computer, but I do get out to do them occasionally as time allows. I am a field biologist, so I spend my spring and summers outside in remote areas of Colorado. I have a motorcycle but haven’t ridden it in ages due to work. I love working on old cars and I do some weekend warrior auto-racing and would like to keep the ability to participate in those activities, which means that I am facing a valve choice. My surgeon says I can tell him whether I want a tissue or mechanical valve up until the time I go to sleep. I’ll wander over to the valve selection forum for that discussion.

Thanks,
John

Good luck with the valve choice, best of luck with surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Upcoming Surgery

Upcoming Surgery

Best wishes as you prepare for surgery at Cleveland Clinic. My husband had surgery there on September 27th for an ascending aortic aneurysm repair and a bicuspid aortic valve repair! We went in for surgery expecting a valve replacement but the valve was able to be repaired. We had made the decision for a tissue valve so we were thrilled with the repair.

Valve selection is a very personal decision. As you know, there are pros and cons on each side of the fence. I feel confident that you will make the right decision for YOU!!

My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you prepare for surgery and recovery...........................

John, I added your surgery to the calendar and I know everyone will be wishing you the best with your final decision and the surgery. You are going to a great hospital and I am sure you will have good results, no matter the decision. You are at an age that makes the decision a difficult one!:( Hope you find help in making that decision in the valve selection forum. Keep reading and remember that whicever valve you choose in the end, is the right decision for you!

Hi John - Best wishes to you, for all to go well with your surgery. Take care!

Avr

Avr

Hey Lionheart,

Welcome aboard! Your situation sounds similar to mine. I had AVR surgery last March. I hoped my original equipment would last longer than it did. It sounds like you've had the good sense to have your valve monitored regularly. I skipped seeing a cardio doc for mine for twenty-seven years. Still, I got 55 years out of mind despite engaging in lots of rigorous work and activities. Despite my bad valve, I used to do a lot of resource management work for a federal agency and never had any problem passing stress tests or physicals.

The new valve hasn't restricted any of my activity stuff. I golf, bicycle, sail, hike, ski, and kayak. Essentially, my surgeon and cardio doc told me my new valve is better than my original equipment and encouraged me to pursue an active lifestyle.

A number of members have had AVR surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and have reported excellent experiences. You can feel confident that you'll be well taken care of at the Cleveland Clinic.

Fifty-two is a great age to get your valve replaced. You're probably in decent physical condition and don't have a lot of complicating health issues. You'll do great.

-Philip

..."The cadio there said it would have to be replaced but my surgeon assured me that if the aortic tissue was in good condition, he would first attempt a repair to resize it."

John

I had this exact operation less than 12 weeks ago. I had an original AVR with a tissue valve in 2001. So this time it was a re-do. My valve was leaking & narrowing and my AA was 4.5cm.

As my aortic tissue was in top condition (i.e. walls strong) my sugeon also proceeded to do a reduction, rather than the replacement he had predicted pre-op. My operation went really well, and I am back exercising with no limitations. Having said that, i have had to give up my sport (due to the warafrin) :( , which involves alot of bodily contact and potential for heavy knocks. That was the hardest thing for me, but at 29/30 I knew I was only going to get another couple of more years at the level I was playing.

Last wednesday I ran 3 miles, and this week I played 7 aside soccer on synthetic grass. If you are going to be on warafrin, you just need to weigh up the risks of encountering a tricky bleeding event during your activities, then make your choices/alterations accordingly.

If you have any more questions fire away. Good luck :)

Good luck

Good luck

I had my AV replaced 13 months ago at age 52. I only hope your recovery is as "bumpless" as mine. Many of us are back into exercize, mine being running. As others have stated, valve choice is very personal, but when it came my time, I really didn't care...reading everything here convinced me I could live well with either. Although some say there is no perfect choice, I believe there is no really wrong choice...just a preference. See you on this side of that mountain!

Lionhart,

Like you I was at 1.4cm and went to 0.9 in three months,They told me once it starts to go it goes quickly. I was experiencing shortness of breath during exercise and fatigue almost daily.
Like you Im in my fifties and like to stay active so my choice to have surgery was made easier. My experience after surgery seems to be that I am able to exercise now without shortness of breath and I seem to recover faster after exercise. As far as the valve choice is concerned, I read up as much as possible and listened to the professionals as well as using this site, then in the end I followed my gut, tough decision but I dont believe you can go wrong,
either way you will probably feel better than you did before.
As my friend a surgeon at Stanford said ...your gonna have more gas in your tank
Wishing you the very best possible outcome and a very smooth proceedure.
Keith.

Latest posts

Back