Link between Lp(a) and Aortic Valve Disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

http://www.lipoproteinafoundation.or...ve-Disease.htm

“These data demonstrate that among those with high Lp(a), nearly one third of heart attacks and half of all cases of aortic stenosis can be attributed to high Lp(a) and may be preventable with Lp(a) lowering therapy. Lowering Lp(a) could significantly reduce the impact of cardiovascular disease”

1 in 7 cases of aortic valve disease are due to high Lp(a).

More than 700,000 cases of aortic valve disease in the USA are due to high Lp(a).

And here on a forum specifically tailored to the needs of people with AVS, no one was aware of this when I first came here, and I was told to "grow some balls" and own up to the fact that I must have gotten AVS due to poor lifestyle choices, and feel lucky that my kids were not in danger of inheriting the condition from me -- when in fact every single one of my children inherited an allele from me that raises Lp(a) and the odds of acquiring AVS.

Thanks for sharing and good info. My aunt developed aortic stenosis (in her 80s) but did not have a bicuspid aortic valve. She did have high Lp. Sounds like lipoprotein and lifestyle can play a role for certain cases of aortic valve disease. It is good that you are being proactive with this knowledge and sharing it.

However, for those of us (such as myself) with bicuspid aortic valve disease, most of the studies have shown that statins are not beneficial in slowing AVS in those with bicuspid valve disease (unless I am not up to date in this area). There is also a familial tendency for bicuspid aortic valves and my cardiologist suggested my family members be tested for this as well as be checked for aneurysms. Luckily my Lp levels are good. :)
Certainly, I agree a good lifestyle is helpful for various reasons with any type of cardiovascular disease whether inherited or acquired.

Statins do nothing to slow the progression of AVS in anyone.

In theory, people with high Lp(a) who lower their Lp(a) might lower their odds of developing calcific AVS, and there is a study going on right now looking at whether or not lowering Lp(a) with niacin will slow the progression of AVS in people with high Lp(a). It is known that progression of AVS is faster in people with higher Lp(a) levels.

The Lp(a) Foundation advocates for the routine testing of people to check for high Lp(a) levels. Because Lp(a) is genetically determined, it only needs to be checked once.

Had I known I was in such extreme danger from a very young age, you can bet I'd have made a lot of different choices and watched my cholesterol like a hawk. I'd wager that would have at least pushed back the development of AVS by a decade or more.

But the real hope for the future, I think, lies in the development of Lp(a) lowering drugs. It will be an uphill battle to get the medical establishment to even screen for high Lp(a) until some drug company knows it can make money off the problem. Then all of a sudden...

Back