Life is...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

...too short. We are NOT guaranteed a "next time" to take action, meet, gather, talk, or say what is on our mind or how we feel. Just sayin'.

I've been scarce 'round these parts and probably will be for a while because life happens. Along with other issues, I finally received the results of my CT scan of the chest. My aorta is, indeed, enlarged. So, the next step is to see the surgeon ASAP to discuss surgery options. While I still haven't really processed this news myself, I suppose the good news is that people who THINK I have a "big heart" now have proof....

Not sure what this means for my cars or my road trips, but we'll see.

MEANTIME ... some quotes:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light."

"I'm a personal luxury coupe in a beige crossover vehicle world."

"Life is like photography; you develop from the negatives."

"Worry is pulling tomorrow’s clouds over today’s sunshine!"

"Bad decisions make good stories."

"Cars are new once, but old forever...!"

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

"Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off until further notice."

"Mileage wears out an automobile, while walking three miles a day keeps the body in shape."

"Travel is a triple delight: anticipation, performance, and recollection."

"We'll never be ready if we keep waiting for the perfect time to come."

"One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter."

"Happiness does not depend on circumstances; it is an attitude. It's like finding your favorite radio station that you can tune into at any time!"

"Life is like a snow globe; you think everything has finally settled down, then someone comes along and shakes up all those little pieces again."

"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once."

"The road is a place where we can free our minds from the distractions of the world and focus on the journey ahead."

"Broken people are dangerous because they know they can survive...!"

"Scars are just tattoos with better stories."

"Sometimes life is just about rolling down the windows in your car, blasting your favorite song & forgetting the world for a while."

"How lucky it is to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"The hope is we have so much to feel good about" __ One Republic __ 'Good Life'

Cort, Sorry to hear you need another surgery again. Do you mind my asking which part of your aorta is enlaged and how big it is? We've been keeping an eye on Justin's Aortic Root for a couple years now, like you most of his recent surgeries have been pulmonary /right side, but with his origonal CHDs /surgeries we always knew the left side could have more issues too. Thankfully his has been relatively stable for a few years tho, so hopefully it will be a while. Were you watching yours and its been slowly getting larger, or was this out of the Blue?
The good thing is there are great surgeons and centers now that have lots of experience taking care of people who'v had multiple REDOs. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I know you have a few sites, but are you going to have a caringbridge type site for updates?

Last edited:
Cort,
I hate to read this news. I am anxious to hear what your surgeon suggests in terms of the next step. In the meantime, and beyond, I hope that you make yourself more available to the forum so others new to the group can learn from your trials and tribulations. Besides, you are sorely missed when you're not around.

Cort,

Sorry to read your thread. I will keep you in my prayers. Yes, you do have a big heart, I remember when I first joined this forum, you were one of the first to say "Prayers in route". Take care.

Cort,
I'm a bit shocked by your news, but not really surprised. Some of us seem to just "collect" complications. . .

I think this sort of trial is saved for those of us strong enough to deal with them. I hope and pray that you can maintain your strength through yet another of these upheavals. If you have time, and want to just talk, you have my cell number. I'm here for you.

Which surgeons are you considering this time, and which hospitals? You probably know many of the local notables, but I'm curious whether you are going to use Northwestern, etc.

Keep us posted, bro.

Sorry, you've got this latest turn to deal with, Cort. A positive is that you have the knowledge and strength and experience to deal with it successfully. We are all here for you. Hang tough!

Oh Cort, I am so sorry to learn of your latest issue. I will be thinking and praying for you. I know that the Lord will give you guidance on this bumpy road called life. Please keep us updated on your decsions. "One Day At A Time"

*nods*

Thank you, everyone ... I sure appreciate the support.

Don't have any answers, Lyn, about my aorta itself. I'll have more info when I see the surgeon. Yes, this was being watched, but the seriousness of the situation came out of the blue for me ... if that makes sense :(.

'Fraid this is just a "quick" visit again ... basically to let ya'll know that my appointment with the surgeon is THIS Thursday, September 15, 2011.

Some background details:
My 3 previous open heart surgeries were...
...November 1977, 1st pig's valve installed
...March 1987, 2nd pig's valve installed (outgrew 1st one)
...January 2003, 3rd pig's valve installed (2nd one too calcified) & 1st pacemaker installed

Hope everyone remembered on 9|11. I had a good day with...

..."Nephew Time":
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...678114.2146020.1300282613&type=1&l=f202ae6938

...and a Cruise Night:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...678114.2146020.1300282613&type=1&l=f202ae6938

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Someday tomorrow will smile" __ Oak Ridge Boys __ 'Dream On'

Hi Cort,

As Steve metioned, we are here for you. Drop me a PM on FB if you think about it. Would like to stay up to date on your progress. I rarley get over to VR :(. If time and schedules align, perhaps we can all meet for lunch or dinner before surgery? You are in my thoughts and prayers my friend!
PS.....Hello Steve! Hope you are well!

Hey, gang!
I'm doing fine. Graduated from rehab, elected class clown, too! Now it is back to work (ugh).
Let's see if we can find a time to get together. I know Cort's schedules are tight, but maybe we can pull it off.

Yeah, great idea, guys. I'm down for getting together.

Cort, you see the support you got here. Please do keep us posted.

*nods*

Yes, I see and appreciate the support. And, I agree ... let's see if we can get lunch/dinner scheduled prior to surgery....

The waiting is the hardest part. So they say.

My 09/15/2011 appointment never happened. If a friend of mine at the hospital hadn't sent me a message that morning asking what time I'd be there, I wouldn't have known. She noticed I wasn't on the schedule. So, I called and was told the surgeon was out of town at a conference. They CLAIMED to have called me, but the number they told me they called wasn't mine. UGH. So, LONG story short, the appointment is Thursday, September 29, 2011....

AYE ... TOO much on my mind and NOT enough happening (in certain ways), if that makes sense. I HATE medical bills and wasting time.

Sure wish I was on a ROAD TRIP right now or back on the RADIO ... or both.

One good thing about surgery? I'll have time to read, WRITE more of my Route 66 story, plan road trips, listen to music, etc.

"This ferris wheel just keeps on spinning 'round, playin' mind games with the ground. Can we stop this time, or must we go again?"

"Hopelessly, I feel like there might be something that I'll miss ... I feel like the window closes oh so quick."

"Tell me what you think about your situation. Complication, aggravation is getting to you."

"Just don't let me lose my mind. All I need is a real friend to pick me up again."

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm fading away" __ Simple Plan __ 'Untitled'

Back