Life Insurance after Mitral Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

I've read dozens of posts here over the years relating to the difficulties in securing life insurance both before and after valve surgery. Between 1998 and 2004 my wife (who is now 33) was consistently rejected by about a dozen life insurance companies due to her mitral valve regurgitation.

She had mitral valve repair in November of 2005. She applied in June of 2006 with Northwestern Mutual life and was rejected again.

Rather than giving up, she applied with USAA (for the third time) in October of 2006 and, lo and behold, was approved yesterday for a 20 year level term policy at reasonable rates (about double what I pay as a healthy 34 year old). I guess the underwriters finally think that she'll be fine.

The point of this post is simply to say "there's hope." It took about nine years and a lot of paperwork, but we finally got what we wanted.

that is so good for her:) So many insurance companies write us off!

I can't get life insurance b/c I have another heart condition.. which required a defibrillator being implanted.. You would think.. since I have a full time 'guarentee' that my heart won't stop.. I would be eligible .. but still no:(

I am glad that you and your wife were persistant and it paid off!

I just received

I just received

a 20-year life insurance policy through Empire General for 45 dollars a month. They did offer me a 30-year policy for 75 dollars a month. I chose the 20-year policy as after 20 years (and hopefully I will still be here) I don't figure $100,000 will be as important to us as we (God willing) will have equity in a home and a lot of other pluses financially going for us.

It was kind of a weird thing to get life insurance at my age of 47 - it makes you REALLY realize how much time you probably have left on the planet. Even if I live to a ripe old age, that still is maybe 30 more years tops! Wild to think about!

P.S. I have my payment automatically deducted from my checking account so I don't worry about losing the policy because of missed payments.

They really put me through the ringer with this test and that test and getting doctors' records, but now I am insured and I rest easy knowing that Wayne will be taken care of and our child that we are in the process of adopting from China. :) However, I don't want Wayne to see a penny of that money any time soon!

Christina L

Congratualtions Christian!

Happened to pick my policy up in my ealry 20's. Had a good friend that was in the biz. So happy it was suggested. Was really thinking longevity at that point! Not a care in the world pretty much. Policy was taken out 10 years prior to my MVR. There was an old history of MVP. Dating back to when I was 8. Had not been treated for it in the years prior to my application. Went through without a problem. Actually not sure if I even mentioned it at the time because I was told it was a benign condition. Ah, ok:eek:

Like Christina mentioned. If you are fortunate enough to have other assests. The ins may not be too necessary. Though, I would not want to dip in to the equity in my home to pay the bills either! Good idea to have the ins!

Latest posts

Back