Life Expectancy after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superman;n870913 said:
Ooh... now there's a question. Would the valve survive the crematorium? Pretty sure I'll get buried in one piece, but for those who choose cremation, it'd be cool if there was this little hunk of pyrolytic carbon left with all the ashes.
when I lived in Japan my partners father passed away and there were not so many male relatives. So I and my "brother in law" (who was Japanese) got to do the ceremony of taking the ashes and putting them into the urn.

We were given little hammers to pound the harder bits into dust (and there were quite a few).

Having a beer later (has anyone mentioned how much Japanese drink?) with the undertaker I asked about the amount of remains which were un-combusted. He said it was on the rise and during his career (and he was no spring chicken himself) they'd had to turn up the furnaces substantially. They were then at the operational limits of their constructions and it still wasn't hot enough. He attributed it to the changes in diet and himself thought it was linked to more preservatives in food which are not excreted by the body but "plated down" where they can cause less harm.

Given that pyrolytic carbon was designed initially for missile tips (to withstand the high temperatures of high velocity travel in air) I'd say they will be able to pull it whole out of the pile left behind.

Given how much was recognisable of Seiji I'd say that and a few other things too.

A few pictures from an old old website here.

Assuming it came out in one piece, I wonder if the family would take it out of the pile, wash it off, and keep in on a bookshelf?

Would the guarantee language on the valve still be legible?

Superman;n870916 said:
Assuming it came out in one piece, I wonder if the family would take it out of the pile, wash it off, and keep in on a bookshelf?

I would ...

Would the guarantee language on the valve still be legible?

well I dunno ... I think they use a QR code to identify them. I understand this is stencilled on the valve leaflets

31451797576_337caa9a8b_o.png

I have noticed the Japanese and their drinking first hand. My buddy is half Japanese ( born in the states though so American ) and has a good bit of relatives and their co workers here from Japan. I got sucked into a few nights of drinking with them a long time ago. The worst/best was a night with dinner and drinks at his cousins Japanese restaurant in north Jersey than a foray into Manhattan then down to Atlantic City..

Last edited:
Superman;n870913 said:
Ooh... now there's a question. Would the valve survive the crematorium? Pretty sure I'll get buried in one piece, but for those who choose cremation, it'd be cool if there was this little hunk of pyrolytic carbon left with all the ashes.
Imagine it rattling in the urn on the way home. It'd scare the crap outta the kids.

A positive attitude can't hurt. Maybe 15 years from now they'll invent a new pharmaceutical that will work like a top shelf cancer causing carburetor cleaner banned decades ago by the EPA for killing everything it comes in contact with that'll melt the calcification away to be flushed down the hopper with your next proper BM. Sorry for the run on sentence.

cldlhd;n870923 said:
.... Maybe 15 years from now they'll invent a new pharmaceutical that will work like a top shelf cancer causing carburetor cleaner banned decades ago by the EPA for killing everything it comes in contact with that'll melt the calcification away to be flushed down the hopper with your next proper BM.

I think that the "killing everything it comes into contact with" is one of the impediments .... but perhaps they'll manage to cover up the side effects till there is enough public outcry over the deaths. Then by the time there is a class action the Pharma has moved its profits off shore to (say) China where its "safe".

Sorry for the run on sentence.
not at all ... extra points awarded for that :)

pellicle;n870924 said:
I think that the "killing everything it comes into contact with" is one of the impediments .... but perhaps they'll manage to cover up the side effects till there is enough public outcry over the deaths. Then by the time there is a class action the Pharma has moved its profits off shore to (say) China where its "safe".

not at all ... extra points awarded for that :)
Well that's how a lot of the drug commercials are here in the States. The drug treats the symptoms of something like an itchy toe and the possible side effects are your balls fall off, assuming you were born into the half of the population allotted a set and you still have them, your liver eats your gall bladder etc...Then 5 years later if you're unfortunate enough to be watching daytime TV you see a cheesy commercial prompting you to sue.
However , these are all technicalities.

Last edited:
cldlhd;n870927 said:
Well that's how a lot of the drug commercials are here in the States. The drug treats the symptoms of something like an itchy toe and the possible side effects are your balls fall off, assuming you were born into the half of the population allotted a set and you still have them, your liver eats your gall bladder etc...Then 5 years later if you're unfortunate enough to be watching daytime TV you see a cheesy commercial prompting you to sue.
However , these are all technicalities.

Pull up a video of the old SNL "Happy Fun Ball" commercial parody from either the late 1980's or early 1990's. "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball". I start hearing those product warnings in my head every time a pharmaceutical commercial comes on.

Superman;n870928 said:
...I start hearing those product warnings in my head every time a pharmaceutical commercial comes on.
My sister in law is a sales rep for a pharma

She has no degree but she has attitude and spends big on clothes, makeup, fingernails ... I just bleed out my mouth when she's on about warfarin. (She markets Clopidogrel, I usually tolerate it to a point where I mention that it's not approved for me as a valver , which truncates the argument)

Superman;n870930 said:
See! Even talking about it can cause a bleeding event! Dangerous drug.

I know ... but I think the bleeds are caused more by ideological dissonance VS my desire to limit the fallout and my tongue is collateral damage...

Superman;n870928 said:
Pull up a video of the old SNL "Happy Fun Ball" commercial parody from either the late 1980's or early 1990's. "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball". I start hearing those product warnings in my head every time a pharmaceutical commercial comes on.

That was one of the best commercial parodies they ever did!

Nocturne;n870932 said:
That was one of the best commercial parodies they ever did!

Top three in no particular order for me:

Happy Fun Ball
Colon Blow Cereal
Super Bass-O-Matic '76

Honorable mention to Schmidt's Gay (but I never did warm up to that cast).

Nocturne;n870822 said:
Deb, you will be happy to know that I have seen several studies revealing that after the age of 65 or so, AVR has no real impact on lifespan (other than the obvious extension afforded as compared to needing it and not getting it!)

Your mother should have a normal lifespan. I hope she has many years left to share with you and others!

Nocturne thank you so much!! So appreciate it! May you and everyone on here do the same and have a long happy life :)

Nocturne, it is easy to be convienced that an article is the truth. No one knows the real life expectancy after OHS, because the range is wide due to the different valves and types of surgical procedures. I just figure that only God know how long I have and he will decide when I die.

Caroline brings up a good point - variability. The studies do not address the pre-surgical health and condition of the members of their cohorts. Also, the published averages only apply to their survey populations, not to any of us as individuals. We may fall on one extreme or the other compared to average, or we may be in that vast mid-range. It just isn't worth the time to worry about it. Don't waste any more of your precious lifetime trying to figure it out. Put that life to a better use - one that you can enjoy.

ONE article? Sure.

MULTIPLE studies published in respected medical journals with multiple cohorts revealing roughly the same thing? Not so much.

And I have no doubt that overall health prior to surgery factors in considerably. And my coronary calcium score at 43 is about average for a 73 year old man. With an average progression, it will be over 10000 by the time I am 65 -- higher than the highest mentioned in any study I have read so far. It's almost like people just don't live with scores any higher than that.

So... Yeah. What you're saying is that I am on the crap end of crappy odds.

I GET that worrying about it is just throwing good time after bad, really I do. But I'm not ready for self delusion just yet.

Sure, maybe everyone in every "Age 60 or below" cohort of every study I have seen on the subject was 59, and diabetic, and on dialysis. Could be. But probably not.

Back