Life Expectancy after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this interesting factoid on Wikipedia -- and we all know that Wikipedia is the most credible source of information that the Internet has to offer:

"Prognosis after aortic valve replacement for people who are younger than 65 is about five years less than that of the general population; for people older than 65 it is about the same."

This is from their "Aortic Valve Stenosis" article. The source cited for this factoid is here:

http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i5065.long

Considering that they were looking at bioprosthetics ONLY, my guess is that their "Under 65" group consisted mostly of people who were very CLOSE to 65.

And in fact, they state that "half weighted group" for the under 65 group was age 59 -- whatever that means. Sounds like an average? Most people getting bioprosthetics will be older folks.

It sounds like a more accurate statement would be that if you are about 60 when you have your first AVR done, your average lifespan will be about 5 years shorter than the norm.

Makes sense to me. ALL else being equal-race, diet, exercise etc..- I would expect someone who needs valve replacement wouldn't live quite as long. I figure they would factor in people who die soon after from complications, infections and the like.

cldlhd;n873780 said:
Makes sense to me. ALL else being equal-race, diet, exercise etc..- I would expect someone who needs valve replacement wouldn't live quite as long. I figure they would factor in people who die soon after from complications, infections and the like.

More risks of endocarditis, thrombosis , and bleeding ... :\ !!! Optimal anticoagulation which translates to maintaining an INR of 2-3 minimizes thrombosis and bleeding but its endocarditis thats out of control !!! How does one minimize the risk of endocarditis ?

when will they create a artificial tricuspid valve that lasts a lifetime without blood thinners....it sounds trivial :\ ... I mean its only cloning a small tissue flap

ashadds;n873783 said:
when will they create a artificial tricuspid valve that lasts a lifetime without blood thinners....it sounds trivial :\ ... I mean its only cloning a small tissue flap
The furtiva triflo is attempting to do just that.

Hi
ashadds;n873783 said:

I usually say to people that while the popular press and movies is on about nanotechnology, we are all made of it. All natures biological stuff is built on massive scales of nanotechnology. Stuff that's been machines of molecules building other molecule scaled machines for millennia

A great introduction comes from looking at the design of the heart valve "flap" here

http://circres.ahajournals.org/content/113/2/186

ashadds;n873782 said:
More risks of endocarditis, thrombosis , and bleeding ... :\ !!! Optimal anticoagulation which translates to maintaining an INR of 2-3 minimizes thrombosis and bleeding but its endocarditis thats out of control !!! How does one minimize the risk of endocarditis ?

Well you can reduce the risks of endo. Immaculate oral hygiene is a good first step. Other causes include breaks in the mucosa from procedures: bronchoscopy, colonoscopy, endoscopy; and infections that get out of control, usually lung and urinary. I just read a book that states the growths attach themselves to platelet/fibrin clots. You can minimise this risk with anti-platelet medication, aspirin or plavix, usually aspirin.

I use a mouthwash, wait five minutes, brush and floss twice a day. Antibiotics before six-monthly industrial cleans.

Back