Life Expectancy after aortic valve replacememt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petros

Last edited:
Well I had my St Jude installed at the sweet young age of 49 (2 months away from turning 50) and I sure as hell expect to live past 72??I don?t buy into these type of numbers:rolleyes:??If I had not had the surgery and made lifestyle changes that seemed to go along with it I may have bit the big one (died) already:eek:?..Live and love like to day is your last and it won?t really mater when you check out.;)

expiry date

expiry date

Screw the article! I plan to live to 102 and I don't see any reason to change that.

Jim

Totally contradicts everything we have been told. I am going with doctors and the words of the wise on this sight, way to many people here proving that theory wrong! Maybe they should change the wording to possible valve replacement times, that still would be off........................
remember you can find anything on the internet all is not true and proven.

Smiles :) and dont let one sight gloom your day !

Don't believe everything you read my friend! There's a lot of stuff out there that can scare the living daylights out of you! :eek:

The best knowledge to rely on is the experience of the vast majority of people on this forum. Many of us have lived many, many years without any real restrictions w/our mechanical valve(s) & we're here today to talk about it & encourage others that are facing this type of surgery.

Don't waste your time dwelling on the negatives or the what if's; focus on the positive & of the opportunity you are getting to live a long & meaningful life w/your new valve.

Best wishes to you & you're in my prayers! :)

Pish Tosh! There are plenty on this forum who have proven those statistics wrong, and several others who are determined to do the same. Certainly don't tell my brother, who just passed his 15th anniversary, that he is about to bite the big one! My doctor told me to expect at least 30 years out of my mitral valve, so I have a pre-set appointment for June 30, 2028. Obviously, dead people can't have appointments, so I will be alive! How's that for logic?:confused:

Not to start a valve war, but it looks as though that article might have been written by someone who prefers tissue valves. From what I've heard, both from the experts and those who have been through the surgery, tissue valves of the past lasted on average about 10 years, so saying that the life expectancy after replacement with tissue valve is 27 years is a little misleading. Those people were bound to have had more than one tissue valve implanted, possible 3. The modern tissue valves, of course, are predicted to last longer. I'd love to see how many people were in this "study", how far back the statistics go, what the people actually died of, etc.

Truth be told, we can all be expected to live until we die.

I didn't read the article, but from the replies, I would want to know HOW OLD were the study participants when they received their valves?

If the average longevity after AVR was 27 years but the average at implantation was 60 (or even 50), then the average at death would be 87 (or 77). NO SURPRISE THERE !

Yep! We are only allowed to use the alternative when doing the Cotton Eyed Joe!

Al, the article said if someone has aortic valve replacement with mechanical at age 35, their life expectancy is 16-22 years. If that same person had a tissue valve, the life expectancy is 27 years. For the older age (65, I think), life expectance was 7 years with mechanical and 11 with tissue.

Amazing

Amazing

This article is amazing. Anyone can post something on the Internet and have it pass for fact. I have learned long ago not to believe anything I read on the internet and apply it as fact in my life unless there are researchable statistics to go with it, outside of that one website.

All he cited was that "several clinical studies have indicated"..... but which ones??????

"the researcher noted a considerable variation in these life expectancies based on whether the patients developed blood clots or bleeding, which are two complications associated with the blood-thinning medicine required after a mechanical valve is used to replace the aortic valve" THE RESEARCHER??? ONLY ONE????

Those are my red flags to throw that information away as completely irrelevant in my life.

This is a prime example of how you can find any stats you want on the internet. You can be scared out of your wits, find backup to incorrect information, etc., etc., etc.

I find it interesting that this same site has no similar articles for MVR.

Just live your life and prove them wrong.

Dear All.

This is my first thread to the forum......while surfing, I was frightened to read articles written in the following web page:

http://heart.emedtv.com/aortic-valve-replacement/life-expectancy-after-aortic-valve-replacement.html

Did you read the entire article, or just the statistic in the synopsis?

The article itself reminds the reader several times over that there are many factors behind the statistics.

Remember that many people who need valve replacements have multiple medical problems. There can be young people with many congenital defects, of which a bicuspid valve is just one. There can be older people whose entire bodies were unhealthy for years before their surgeries.

Then there are people who have just one medical problem. For example, a woman might have a leaky bicuspid valve, but no other defect or illness whatsoever. A man might develop heart disease, but of the kind that he can control by choosing a healthy lifestyle and perhaps taking medications.

The statistics you are reading come from both the very sick people and the barely-sick people all lumped together. So don't be scared just because other people didn't live too long after their surgeries; they had lots of problems and complications that you do not have.

The statistics on that website are utterly meaningless, as becomes apparent even just from reading their own caveats.

We are all an experiment of one.

Live life to the fullest each day.

Meanwhile, welcome to the Forum -- if you want real-life success stories to cheer you up, you will find them in abundance here.

I second the "pish tosh"!

red flag number one : " ...developed blood clots or bleeding, which are two complications associated with the blood-thinning medicine required after . . ." emphasis is mine

any "professional" or "expert" who uses the blood-thinning word is neither !

red flag number two : "Patients with aortic valve disease " I had a bicuspid, but nothing else - this does not mean it is "diseased" in my opinion, it is defective, albeit from birth. So maybe the statistics are from people with valve disease, who will have other problems. I personally had no problems other than a defective heart valve (well, do, but none that affect my heart and/or circulation ;))

And how reliable is the site? I have never heard of the organization; there are a lot of generalities as well, nothing that can be substantiated by following a link to one of the studies, or looking up one of the researchers etc.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ !

I looked up Arthur Schoenstadt, MD thru Google. A doctor with that name has also written extensively on "Genital Warts":rolleyes:. I never trust articles that state "studies show" and then never reveal or footnote the studies. This sounds more like opinion and like A__Holes, everybody has one. My opinion of his opinion is that his opinion is BS:mad:.

Unfortunately, this kind of trash is to be expected on the internet.

I was just gonna say, Dick has had a mechanical valve for 40 years. I think of him when I start wigging out about life expectancy post op.

We should make a thread to poll how many years people have had their valves.

Please take note of Dicks signature! We have another inactive member, RCB who is the Guiness World Record holder as longest living survior of replacement. I forget what year he got his, he was one of the very first patients, but he's still alive today. The article is purely for someone who thrives on statistics and not much else. it certainly isn't true life.

About RCB
Surgery
3 AVRS, 1 MVR, TV repair, ASD repair and Maze
Heart History
Rheumatic Fever in 1st, 3rd and 8th grade
Interests
Gardening, pets, politics
Occupation
Disabled from stroke in 1981
Signature
The first child, the fifth patient to survive valve replacement surgery and the world's longest surviving heart valve recipient
1st AVR- Oct. 27th 1960, Dr. Kay/St. Vincent, Clev.,Kay tri-leaflet teflon prototype
2nd AVR- Feb. 1964, Dr. Kay/St. vincent, Clev., Starr-Edwards/early prototype
3rd AVR- Jan. 1982, Dr. Kay/St. Vincent, Clev. Bjork-Shiley 60 degree tilting disc

Internet stats sometimes need to be taken for what they "don't" say.
Maybe they surveyed 200 valve surgery patients, fine.....but maybe 150 of them were chain smoking alcoholics.
I choose to peruse the stats on better referenced web sites if possible.

Internet stats sometimes need to be taken for what they "don't" say.
Maybe they surveyed 200 valve surgery patients, fine.....but maybe 150 of them were chain smoking alcoholics.
I choose to peruse the stats on better referenced web sites if possible.

Hey - now don't be hassling us chain smoking alcoholics. We have rights too.;):D;)

Latest posts

Back