Life after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicusp

This is for those that have recently had OHS or are going to have it soon. Stay positive as life does go back to normal!

This past Father’s Day weekend, my son and I went dirt riding at the Allegheny National Forest in upper central Pennsylvania. We have been going there annually for around 15 years now. Our first day of riding was exactly 4 months to the day since my full sternotomy OHS with On-X aortic valve at the Cleveland Clinic. In total we did about 150 miles of dirt trails. I was on the quad and my son on the dirt bike.

No issues at all, other than being a little sore (as usual) the next day. Mostly muscle soreness and no sternum issues. But no pain relievers necessary. All is good.

Look forward to normality!

IMG_1598_RS.jpeg
IMG_1619_RS.jpeg

Stay positive as life does go back to normal!
Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing that!

Yes, life does indeed get back to normal. I had my SAVR 13 weeks ago yesterday and have been back climbing my favorite mountain, Mt. Monserate, for the past 3 weeks. Last week I climbed it 5 days in a row and no issues at all. Except, like you, the soreness :) Which is also very normal.

I live in Kansas so I like to go to Arkansas in the Ouachita mountains. Gone to Southeastern Colorado. We also have some dunes in Oklahoma. Want to take it to Moab, Utah and do some rock climbing. Real nice to go into secluded woods and bring a lunch.

This is for those that have recently had OHS or are going to have it soon. Stay positive as life does go back to normal!

This past Father’s Day weekend, my son and I went dirt riding at the Allegheny National Forest in upper central Pennsylvania. We have been going there annually for around 15 years now. Our first day of riding was exactly 4 months to the day since my full sternotomy OHS with On-X aortic valve at the Cleveland Clinic. In total we did about 150 miles of dirt trails. I was on the quad and my son on the dirt bike.

No issues at all, other than being a little sore (as usual) the next day. Mostly muscle soreness and no sternum issues. But no pain relievers necessary. All is good.

Look forward to normality!

View attachment 887883View attachment 887884
Congratulations and a happy belated Father's Day from a fellow Pennsylvanian.

Back to skiing in Telluride, Colorado this week. Beautiful conditions. My one year valveversary coming up this Saturday.
No issues on first day. Heart rate normal. Oxygen levels lower from norm of 99 to as low as 84 up at 13k feet elevation. INR today at 3.2 slightly higher than normal.
Snowshoe hike today.

Attachments

• 20220214_130959.jpg
    20220214_130959.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 67
Back to skiing in Telluride, Colorado this week. Beautiful conditions. My one year valveversary coming up this Saturday.
No issues on first day. Heart rate normal. Oxygen levels lower from norm of 99 to as low as 84 up at 13k feet elevation. INR today at 3.2 slightly higher than normal.
I love the good news stories.

however:
Snowshoe hike today.

perhaps its because I learned to ski in Finland my view is that snowshoes are hard work and good 1.8M XC skis with skins if needed are WAY better than snowshoes ... unless of course you're simply after a heavy cardio work out.

I had OHS (Bental Procedure) on November 18, 2021. I just went back to work this past Sunday. I've also been enjoying snowshoeing, going to the gym, and getting back in to my kitchen remodel I started a week prior to surgery! It's nice getting back into the things we enjoy!

You can't be married, because a move like that would have gotten me divorced! :LOL: :eek:
Not married but my GF of three years was a bit hesitant when I ripped the kitchen out a week prior. By the time I left for the hospital I had all the lowers and new appliances in so we still had a functioning kitchen.

Love hearing this from all of you! Wednesday was my 3 week post open heart surgery day (aortic valve replaced with a mechanical and then a pacemaker implanted a week later). Every day does get better, but the “brain fog” has been incredibly frustrating and some days the whole “normal” life target seems so out of reach. Y’all give me serious motivation to just keep pushing through.

Love hearing this from all of you! Wednesday was my 3 week post open heart surgery day (aortic valve replaced with a mechanical and then a pacemaker implanted a week later). Every day does get better, but the “brain fog” has been incredibly frustrating and some days the whole “normal” life target seems so out of reach. Y’all give me serious motivation to just keep pushing through.
I had my surgery, David V aortic valve repair (BAV) and aneurysm replacement ( root, arch and semi arch) back in February 2015. For the first few months I had plenty of days when I thought life would never be normal again but most days I don't even think about my surgery and when I do it's usually a passing thought. So hang in there

I'm feeling better than ever myself. I had no idea how short of breath I was pre-surgery, how much more difficult it was for my body to get blood to the rest of my body, and how much I was being limited by my valve.

While I get tired now playing basketball or frisbee or whatever else, I don't experience the extreme shortness of breath I used to, and I don't experience fatigue and lightheadedness for days afterwars. I'm the first guy back on defense and the first one running out on the break. My legs get tired and sore, but they recover so much faster. Deep breaths feel incredible. I can actually feel my body flooding with oxygen.

Just typing all this out, I feel so grateful to my surgeon and the doctors who discovered I was sick. Hang in there, folks. Keep walking, keep breathing, and keep talking to your loved ones. It should keep getting better.

It gets easier, and quicker than you think. I'm 8 months out and life is relatively normal again.

I had the whole brain fog thing for a while. My issue was remembering people's names. I was watching a film with my wife (whose name I thankfully remembered) and couldn't for the life of me remember Brad Pitt's name, but could remember loads of other films he was in.

It gets easier, and quicker than you think. I'm 8 months out and life is relatively normal again.

I had the whole brain fog thing for a while. My issue was remembering people's names. I was watching a film with my wife (whose name I thankfully remembered) and couldn't for the life of me remember Brad Pitt's name, but could remember loads of other films he was in.

I'm almost 5 months post op and I feel very close to back to normal except for that damn brain fog. It's still hanging around for me but hopefully improves with time.

Latest posts

Back