Life after AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fernac911

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the site and just wanted to see if there is anyone in their 20's or early 30's that has had ARV. I just found out that I will be needing this soon and would like to hear from others who have already gone through this experience.

I live a very active lifestyle, so my questions are: How has life change after surgery? Are you still able to workout if so, are you limited? Can you weight train? How did/do you feel pre-/post surgery?

Thank you!!!

It's quiet over the weekend but just want to say Welcome to VR.... happy you found us but sorry for the reason.

We have a number of members here who are your age, have had your surgery and are extremely active, athletic and busy in their very full lives. AVR will save your life and in just about all cases, make it possible for you to do most anything you wish including weight training..... all, of course, after suitable healing time and clearance from your doctors.

Others will be along to provide specifics in their own experiences. :)

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the site and just wanted to see if there is anyone in their 20's or early 30's.......

Thank you!!!

Hi Fernac911.....welcome, and your have found a very, very good forum for a guy like you. I had valve replacement(mechanical aortic valve) at age 31.....46+ years ago....and so far it has interfered very little with my life.

I had a Ross Procedure 11 years ago when I was 26. Since then I've competed in triathlons, cycle races, a marathon, masters swim races and a parents egg and spoon race at my sons Sports Day (which was the most competitive of the lot!). AVR really didn't have much impact on my lifestyle. I recently had to have another surgery because of an aortic aneurysm but I'm on the mend now and definitely plan to pick up some / all of my previous activities. Whether you go down the Ross / tissue / mechanical valve route, experience of people on this forum shows that you can continue to lead a very active lifestyle if that's what you want after AVR. Best wishes!

Hi

I'm new to the site and just wanted to see if there is anyone in their 20's or early 30's that has had ARV.
well I was 28 when I had my first AVR, it was a homograft.

I live a very active lifestyle, so my questions are: How has life change after surgery? Are you still able to workout if so, are you limited? Can you weight train? How did/do you feel pre-/post surgery?

I took recovery seriously and did not rush in like an idiot "bull at a gate" style and ramped up my recovery over a year. By the end of two years I was cycling about 20Km every evening after work and doing better up long climbs than pretty much ever in my life. I was back playing squash and doing light weight training. (I'm not a body builder or power lifter, I just train for strength and endurance to compliment sports). I lived a pretty active life

Twenty years later I had that valve replaced with a mechanical and am now doing about as much as I did when I was in my twenties. Waiting for decent snow so I can get out and cross country ski on skiis not wheels!

There are challenges, there are changes, but if you use you head and keep the goals themselves in mind then its all just part of the challenges life tosses in your way. You'll find keen and serious athletes in the group here (yes, even serious competitive power lifters) ...

best wishes.

Hi

Pellicle, how's your sternum going? Hope the infection has resolved.

There was that small eruption a month ago, but seems to have been steady since that closed up again. Won't know for sure (well another eruption would be a giveaway) till after June or so. Then I'll go off antibiotics and have a pet scan after a bit.

I keep updating that thread as I know what's going on...

Thanks for asking :)

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the site and just wanted to see if there is anyone in their 20's or early 30's that has had ARV. I just found out that I will be needing this soon and would like to hear from others who have already gone through this experience.

Thank you!!!

I actually created a profile here partially because of this, the other reason being this seems like a great community and a great place for support through some dark days. I just turned 26 about a month ago and found out back in may I had a 5.4 cm ATAA (Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm), and then found out about my Bicuspid Aortic Valve after the surgery was done and I had my Mechanical Valve put in.

My life change after surgery was rather drastic, I would believe. You're going to be very limited for the first month or so, even after. I'm six weeks out of my first surgery, four weeks out of a surgery for pericarditis. I'm still not back to normal and from what I've been reading, the standard recovery is not 6 to 8 weeks. Depending on your definition of "weight train", power squats and bench presses? I wouldn't expect to be doing those any time soon, as for the first month or so after surgery you'll feel it when you lift a grocery bag.

Pre-Surgery, I was very nervous. But I knew this had to be done, the surgical staff at the hospital was very caring. My surgeon gave me peace of mind when I asked him his track record (how many repairs he's done prior, experience, etc.) and that put me at ease a lot. But on the day of, if you're like me, you're going to be nervous and/or scared. I know I was. Post-Surgery, I felt pretty awful when I woke up. They'll have you out of bed and walking within a day (brace yourself when they turn you on your side, that was the most painful part of getting out of bed), I spent most of my time in the chair, as laying down was extremely uncomfortable. Walking isn't so bad the day after, but don't over-do it. Even six/four weeks out of surgery, I'm still pretty sore, but there are going to be good days and bad days. Some days you'll feel like a million bucks, others you'll feel like you had that million bucks put into a cannon and shot at you. I still have a lot of problems sleeping, all positions are uncomfortable and I really don't sleep for more than a few hours at a time.

Best advice I can give, which I learned the hard way: Do not over-exert yourself. You're probably going to do it at least once, and once is all it takes to realize your limitations after surgery. But in due time, of course you'll be able to do all of those things again. But don't get your hopes up, your body is going to be going through a very traumatic and very different experience, and it's going to be a bumpy road until you find a state of complete normalcy again, so buckle up.

I hope I didn't scare you, this is just what I've been experiencing and as my Surgeon told me: Every patient is different.

Good luck to you!

Best advice I can give, which I learned the hard way: Do not over-exert yourself. You're probably going to do it at least once, and once is all it takes to realize your limitations after surgery...
+1 - 8 weeks post surgery I was feeling strong and well healed, and then was wrangling a 40 pound bag of topsoil and experienced a nasty pain in my sternum right at the bottom of my incision. It hurt when I did it and continued to hurt for a couple of days after. It has resolved ok, but I have taken a lesson - don't over-exert!

I actually created a profile here partially because of this, the other reason being this seems like a great community and a great place for support through some dark days. I just turned 26 about a month ago and found out back in may I had a 5.4 cm ATAA (Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm), and then found out about my Bicuspid Aortic Valve after the surgery was done and I had my Mechanical Valve put in.

My life change after surgery was rather drastic, I would believe. You're going to be very limited for the first month or so, even after. I'm six weeks out of my first surgery, four weeks out of a surgery for pericarditis. I'm still not back to normal and from what I've been reading, the standard recovery is not 6 to 8 weeks. Depending on your definition of "weight train", power squats and bench presses? I wouldn't expect to be doing those any time soon, as for the first month or so after surgery you'll feel it when you lift a grocery bag.

Pre-Surgery, I was very nervous. But I knew this had to be done, the surgical staff at the hospital was very caring. My surgeon gave me peace of mind when I asked him his track record (how many repairs he's done prior, experience, etc.) and that put me at ease a lot. But on the day of, if you're like me, you're going to be nervous and/or scared. I know I was. Post-Surgery, I felt pretty awful when I woke up. They'll have you out of bed and walking within a day (brace yourself when they turn you on your side, that was the most painful part of getting out of bed), I spent most of my time in the chair, as laying down was extremely uncomfortable. Walking isn't so bad the day after, but don't over-do it. Even six/four weeks out of surgery, I'm still pretty sore, but there are going to be good days and bad days. Some days you'll feel like a million bucks, others you'll feel like you had that million bucks put into a cannon and shot at you. I still have a lot of problems sleeping, all positions are uncomfortable and I really don't sleep for more than a few hours at a time.

Best advice I can give, which I learned the hard way: Do not over-exert yourself. You're probably going to do it at least once, and once is all it takes to realize your limitations after surgery. But in due time, of course you'll be able to do all of those things again. But don't get your hopes up, your body is going to be going through a very traumatic and very different experience, and it's going to be a bumpy road until you find a state of complete normalcy again, so buckle up.

I hope I didn't scare you, this is just what I've been experiencing and as my Surgeon told me: Every patient is different.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info!!!

Keep me updated on your recovery and good luck to you too!!

Some of us recover quicker than others. I was well into CHF and a smoker and about 40 pounds overweight before my surgery.

My life change after surgery was rather drastic, I would believe.
From right after I woke up, I felt like the pink bunny with a brand new set of Energizers.

You're going to be very limited for the first month or so, even after. ...for the first month or so after surgery you'll feel it when you lift a grocery bag.
About the only pain I felt (even in the hospital) was coughing/sneezing and trying to sleep on my side.

Even six/four weeks out of surgery, I'm still pretty sore, but there are going to be good days and bad days. Some days you'll feel like a million bucks, others you'll feel like you had that million bucks put into a cannon and shot at you.
By four weeks, I was stir crazy; at six weeks I went back to work and started getting serious about getting into shape.

Best advice I can give, which I learned the hard way: Do not over-exert yourself. You're probably going to do it at least once, and once is all it takes to realize your limitations after surgery.
Haven't been able to over-exert myself yet. No limitations - that's from my cardio and surgeon.

But in due time, of course you'll be able to do all of those things again. But don't get your hopes up, your body is going to be going through a very traumatic and very different experience, and it's going to be a bumpy road until you find a state of complete normalcy again, so buckle up.
It might be okay to get your hopes up. I did and still do. Normalcy? I'm still redefining it.

Every patient is different.
Amen.

(Just wanted to illustrate some of the range of possibilities of what you might expect.)

Hi Fernca911,

I was 22 when I had my aorta valve replaced. I was in college at the time. I had the surgery over the summer (Aug. 02, 1996). I was back in school with no problems in September. In college I was very active. I did a ton of outdoor activities and sports. After surgery I was able to continue doing everything with no problems at all.

My rehab experience was quite good. I was cleared early on to resume doing what I enjoy. As soon as I was able to walk down to the end of my block and back I never looked back. I just picked up where I left off. The one thing I had to learn after surgery is how to sleep on my back. I never slept on my back prior to surgery.

Being young you will be back doing what you want in no time at all.

MC

Hi Fernca911,

I'm what i call a very young 43, ( i have no kids and still rock it like i'm 30 i like to think lol) and i am 3 1\2 weeks out from my AVR. I think the statement that we are all very different is true, but it seems easier by and large for younger folks.

I was quite petrified in the days before surgery, this was a big fat hairy deal!! When i woke up the day after in ICU all the scary tubes were gone and i felt pretty good! I went for a walk that very day and thought i was a rock star!! I kept pushing after, only had 1 bad day in the hospital, and that was due to nausea not pain. They fixed me right up with a quick shot and i was walking laps around the ward after that. I was able to go home 4 days after surgery.

Now i am 3 weeks out and i'm walking over 5 km a day, in 2 separate walks mind you, and feeling stronger all the time. I have been off pain meds for almost a week, i do have discomfort and tightness in my chest, but thT is to be expected after being opened up i hear. Some days, most really, i feel pretty awesome, occasionally i have had a tired day, but again, thats par for the course. Usually its After i did something dumb like mop the floor with a heavy wet mop like they said i shouldn't. They know their stuff with those recommendations.

All in all, i feel like i could get back to my routine and my life soon, maybe not any power lifting just yet but my normal active routine and work in a few weeks.

Good luck and the best analogy i can offer you on my experience so far wAs that i climbed Mount Everest, and now i am sledding down the other side. The anticipation was harder than the surgery.

Back