Let's set some goals! A throwdown!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goal update- July summary

Steps
I finished July strong, with an average daily steps of 16,603, comfortably above my goal of 14,000

Lifting weights: Meeting my target of 3x per week. During the Covid closure, my gym built a crossfit section which includes a tire flip area. This is a lot of fun and a great work out for cardio and strength training. I'm up to the 80kg tire.
Tire flip work out video: No, that is not me in the video :)

Weight: This is going to take some time. I was at 184.9, which is only .1 below my start point. But, I've been lifting hard and this tends to make me gain weight- went up to 188+ but I expect the gain was mostly muscle and now the weight seems to be gradually coming down as I continue my disciplined eating and training. Weight is definitely not the best metric, but it is easy to measure. An accurate measurement for body fat % is a better metric, but unless you get real high tech, most of those aren't accurate.

Mountain under 30 minutes: I haven't challenged myself yet with a timed climb, but plan to do so in the next 30 days. I believe I'll probably need to drop a few more pounds before I have a shot at this.

Where are ya'll at with your goals?

Last edited:
So my goals were:
  • Spend as much time as possible with my daughter before the operation
  • Survive the operation
  • Jog 5km within 6 months and run a half marathon within 12 months (ideally sub 90 minutes).
Goals 1 and 2 achieved (although still recovering in hospital). The third I shall hopefully start on soon!

So my goals were:
  • Spend as much time as possible with my daughter before the operation
  • Survive the operation
  • Jog 5km within 6 months and run a half marathon within 12 months (ideally sub 90 minutes).
Goals 1 and 2 achieved (although still recovering in hospital). The third I shall hopefully start on soon!

Well done!!

How are you all doing with your goals?

Here is my update:

Goal: Get back to 178 pounds within 3 months. This is going to be tough. Might need to give myself more time. I started heading in the wrong direction, partially because I've been lifting a lot of weights. Went to 188, but have finally reversed things and am now down to 185 and seem to be headed in the right direction. I've been more consistent with intermittent fasting, sticking to an 8 hour feeding window, which really helps.

Goal: Spend at least 3 days per week lifting weights. I'm meeting this goal so far.

Goal: Climb Mt Monserate in less than 30 minutes: This one is going to have to wait, as I have not been up to the mountain in about 2 months. My mom was diagnosed with dementia and exercise is very important to slowing the progression. So, my new routine is to take her to the gym daily and work out together. I've been doing a lot of treadmill at 15% grade and eliptical and pushing hard, so hopefully this will transfer to quicker times on the mountain, when I eventually get back to it.

Goal: Take at least 14,000 steps per day on average. August I averaged 17,489, so I am on goal with this one. To get there I spend about an hour of cardio daily- treadmill or eliptical. Plus, I try to get additional steps in at every opportunity. I spend a lot of time on the phone in my business and have taken to the habit of walkng as I talk on the phone. Also, sneak in additional steps wherever I can- walkng around the car as I am filling up at the gas station for example. I get some strange looks, but don't really care. :)

I have really been enjoying the tire flip exercise at the gym in the new crossfit area. I moved up to the heavy tire=-220 lb about 4 weeks ago.

Tire photo- gym.jpg

I hope you are all meeting your goals and are doing well in all regards. Please share your update if you have one.

How are folks doing with their goals?

Here is my update.

Goal: Weight: Get back to 178lbs.

After going the wrong direction for a few weeks, I finally made some real progress here and recently hit 179.4lbs. I attribute it to my new diet- it's called the Identity Theft Diet. You get your wallet stolen and as the fraudsters try to buy trucks, open insurance policies and bank accounts in your name, you won't feel like eating much at all from the stress. Yes, that happened- they have attempted about 12 frauds so far. Seems as if it is under control now, but getting daily mail is often filled with new surprises. Since I froze my credit immediately, usually it's loan denial letters from banks I'm getting now.

Goal: Spend at least 3 days per week lifting weights.

I'm going to modify this goal, that's allowed. I used to be a competitive racquetball player in my teens and 20s and have decided to return to the sport. Weightlifting does not mix so well with racquet sports, so I am swapping this one for the new goal of playing racquetball 3 days+ per week.

Goal: Climb Mt Monserate in less than 30 minutes.

I have not challenged myself with this yet and have not been on the mountain in a couple of months as I have a new exercise routine designed to include my mom. My mom has dementia and regular exercise is vital in trying to combat the progression. Mom loves to swim, so I take her to the gym everyday- she swims while I play racquetball and do other cardio. So, I do still plan to challenge myself on the mountain, just not sure when that will be.

Goal: Take at least 14,000 steps per day on average. 15,216 average steps per day last month, so I'm still on target here. I really like this goal. Easy to track with smartphone and gives a positive spin to the most undesirable tasks. Glass half empty: I hate scooping up the dog crap every morning. Glass half full: Hey, I get to pick up the dog crap and add about 300 steps to my daily count. haha!

I hope that you are all making progress towards your goals.

I haven’t been losing much, but holding. My cardio has been quite good. My resting pulse is back down to 55 and has held steady at 56 for a couple weeks now. Consistent workouts are key here.

Sorry to read about your stress. I can relate to peak stress triggering weight loss. I’m too comfortable right now. Some people stress eat. I relax eat and stress fast. Being officially full time remote with full fridge and pantry access and the only necessary walk is up and down the stairs means making time to workout. To that end, I’ve been working out. Just need to find a reason not to eat.

I haven’t been losing much, but holding. My cardio has been quite good. My resting pulse is back down to 55 and has held steady at 56 for a couple weeks now. Consistent workouts are key here.

Excellent! Good job with the consistency!
The benefits from consistent exercise are far reaching. One of the most important things we can do to improve and maintain our health.

My resting heart rate is 52bpm, I have wakened up some muscles in low back but with self massage and treatment it has improved dramatically and have logged 3, 2.5 mile runs since then. I can’t wait till my theragun massage pistol finds it way to my door.

Finally found a true weight loss technique. First, throw your back out so it’s painful to walk. Then, get on meds that sap your appetite. Then, once you finish your course of meds, makes sure your son brings the flu (not covid) home from college and is kind enough to share it with you. Also appetite destroying. So far I’m close to a week and a half into this plan. My back isn’t fully recovered so it hurts when I cough or sneeze. Not helping. And my resting pulse is up over 10 bpm since this started so I’m kind of working out all the time. 👍

Once I’m motivated to exit my basement convalescence, I’ll weigh myself and see how it’s working.

Once I’m motivated to exit my basement convalescence, I’ll weigh myself and see how it’s working.

Hey progress is progress. If you need to lose a few more you can always find a local concert with a mosh pit and try to pick up Omicron.

1639067274263.png

I made my best progress with weight when I suffered from identity theft in September, as the guy opened bank accounts and stole rental vehicles using my ID. Stress can do wonders. I actually did hit my target weight of 178 at one point.

I received a call from the PD that they arrested the guy with my ID. So, like my recovered ID, I soon recovered my lost pounds as my stress level normalized.

I'm at 180 now, so I've got 2 more pounds to go to to get to 178.

14,415 steps/day averaged in November, so I'm meeting my step goal consistently. This month will be the biggest test for this however.

Superman, hope you get out of that routine soon and that it actually works. I'm down to 163 (from 184 two years ago). I just stopped eating as much and stress is lower due to covid and then layoff. Typical day is a late morning breakfast and then dinner. IF I'm doing physical work I have a small lunch. Also try to walk/run 2-5 miles six days a week. When I was in my early 30's and running ultras my weight was 155 so I think I'm doing well.

I'm down to 163 (from 184 two years ago).

Excellent Martin!

Also try to walk/run 2-5 miles six days a week.

Keep it up! That is great!
When I was in my early 30's and running ultras my weight was 155 so I think I'm doing well.

Which ultras did you run? I did a couple ultras in my late 20s. It is hard to imagine that now. I have an uncle who did over 100 marathons and many ultras. He's 80 years old now and still does half marathons. My friend Bill at the gym is 96 and still works out 5 days per week, so I'm convinced we are never too old to exercise.

Chuck, I mostly ran 50 KM and 50 milers in the mountains here in California. That was 1985-2000. I finished the Western States 100 once. I still run but not as fast or as far. Just off metoprolol so I hope to do better, maybe try a 10K. I planned on running ultras in retirement before the OHS. Still think a 50 KM might be possible if I can get strong enough.

Did you ever run the Lake Isabella Dam Tough Run? It was 38.5 miles the two years that I ran it, circa 91 and 92, but I think that they made it into a trail run and shortened it a little.

Still think a 50 KM might be possible if I can get strong enough.

Go for it!

Hey, guys, ain't stress great! For the past 3 months, I have been a 24/7 caretaker for my wife as she struggles to recover from a hip fractured when she fell. I mean I do everything -- cook, clean, obtain and apply medicines, get up about every 2 hours during the night to help her, etc etc. The weight-loss bonus: I am down at least 25 pounds -- maybe more b/c I only weigh occasionally. The reward: I am now wearing jeans two sizes smaller in the waist and I am ordering them like crazy from Amazon prime, with delivery the next day.

My dear wife is fighting through numerous complications and some of her home health care nurses have suggested she go into hospice. However, she is a fighter. In her words, "I ain't ready to kick the bucket yet!" Hospice might make my days less hectic but heck that would destroy my new weight-loss regimen. The good news is that my wife is making slow but steady progress in PT, to the amazement of some of the medfolks trying to warehouse her. And of course I am a PT helper too, being a veteran of practically every kind of PT known to mankind.

Cheerio, Throwdowners!

Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues @Superbob, but really glad to hear that she is making steady progress in PT. Happy to hear that she is a fighter and it sounds like she has a lot of fight left in her.

Here's to hoping that she keeps blowing away the medfolks!

Never ran the Dam Tough Run. Did San Juan Trail 50 Miler (came in 12th one year), Pacific Crest Trail 50 Miler, American River 50 Miler, Mule Run 50 KM, High Desert 50 KM in Ridgecrest, San Juan Trail 50 KM, Wild Wild West Marathon and many others, 40 total. Many I ran 6 times. Best 50 Miler was 7:00:00 (flat course). Best 50 KM was 4:45 in Bishop. Western States I finished in 25:13, ran out of gas around 90 miles.

Chuck, what ultras did you run?

I ran the Dam Tough Run at Lake Isabella twice. 38.5 miles. Both years I came in second place for my age division 20-29 year olds. Not as impressive as it sounds, as the 30s was the most competitive division. I was not even in the top 20 overall. There were a lot of guys in their 30s and 40s who beat me.

Latest posts

Back