Let's set some goals! A throwdown!

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Chuck C

Goal update- July summary

Steps
I finished July strong, with an average daily steps of 16,603, comfortably above my goal of 14,000

Lifting weights: Meeting my target of 3x per week. During the Covid closure, my gym built a crossfit section which includes a tire flip area. This is a lot of fun and a great work out for cardio and strength training. I'm up to the 80kg tire.
Tire flip work out video: No, that is not me in the video :)

Weight: This is going to take some time. I was at 184.9, which is only .1 below my start point. But, I've been lifting hard and this tends to make me gain weight- went up to 188+ but I expect the gain was mostly muscle and now the weight seems to be gradually coming down as I continue my disciplined eating and training. Weight is definitely not the best metric, but it is easy to measure. An accurate measurement for body fat % is a better metric, but unless you get real high tech, most of those aren't accurate.

Mountain under 30 minutes: I haven't challenged myself yet with a timed climb, but plan to do so in the next 30 days. I believe I'll probably need to drop a few more pounds before I have a shot at this.

Where are ya'll at with your goals?

Last edited:

Al3x

So my goals were:
  • Spend as much time as possible with my daughter before the operation
  • Survive the operation
  • Jog 5km within 6 months and run a half marathon within 12 months (ideally sub 90 minutes).
Goals 1 and 2 achieved (although still recovering in hospital). The third I shall hopefully start on soon!

Chuck C

So my goals were:
  • Spend as much time as possible with my daughter before the operation
  • Survive the operation
  • Jog 5km within 6 months and run a half marathon within 12 months (ideally sub 90 minutes).
Goals 1 and 2 achieved (although still recovering in hospital). The third I shall hopefully start on soon!
Well done!!

Chuck C

How are you all doing with your goals?

Here is my update:

Goal: Get back to 178 pounds within 3 months. This is going to be tough. Might need to give myself more time. I started heading in the wrong direction, partially because I've been lifting a lot of weights. Went to 188, but have finally reversed things and am now down to 185 and seem to be headed in the right direction. I've been more consistent with intermittent fasting, sticking to an 8 hour feeding window, which really helps.

Goal: Spend at least 3 days per week lifting weights. I'm meeting this goal so far.

Goal: Climb Mt Monserate in less than 30 minutes: This one is going to have to wait, as I have not been up to the mountain in about 2 months. My mom was diagnosed with dementia and exercise is very important to slowing the progression. So, my new routine is to take her to the gym daily and work out together. I've been doing a lot of treadmill at 15% grade and eliptical and pushing hard, so hopefully this will transfer to quicker times on the mountain, when I eventually get back to it.

Goal: Take at least 14,000 steps per day on average. August I averaged 17,489, so I am on goal with this one. To get there I spend about an hour of cardio daily- treadmill or eliptical. Plus, I try to get additional steps in at every opportunity. I spend a lot of time on the phone in my business and have taken to the habit of walkng as I talk on the phone. Also, sneak in additional steps wherever I can- walkng around the car as I am filling up at the gas station for example. I get some strange looks, but don't really care. :)

I have really been enjoying the tire flip exercise at the gym in the new crossfit area. I moved up to the heavy tire=-220 lb about 4 weeks ago.

Tire photo- gym.jpg

I hope you are all meeting your goals and are doing well in all regards. Please share your update if you have one.

Latest posts