Left Bundle Branch Block - terrified

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olive

Hello all,

My 34 year old husband had an AVR in 2010 (mechanical valve). He was born with a bicuspid AV.

Yesterday his heart was racing at rest (130-140), tightness in chest, shortness of breath, some sharp pains. Obviously we went to ER, they did EKG and diagnosed a "Left Bundle Branch Block". They did all the blood tests for enzymes that indicate heart damage due to heart attack, and those were negative, thank God. Plus, he had a heart cath done before his OHS in 2010 and all was clear/clean.

However, every EKG they've done since (every 6 hrs) still shows the LBBB. (he is still in hospital).

This is not the hospital where is normal cardiologist practices, but I did talk to him yesterday (He is a wonderful Dr. who gave us his cell #!). He says he is not worried but I sure as heck am!

Some background: Chris, my husband, has been suffering from daily persistent headaches since November 2011. He's seen 2 neurologists, had several normal MRI's, and has been prescribed an unbelievable number of medications for migraines. NONE have worked.

After his OHS, he had a very high HR which has needed medication to control ever since. (before the OHS, his normal resting HR was always in 60's - 70's) He was taking metoprolol (a beta blocker) up until about a month ago, when his neurologist wanted to switch him to Verapamil b/c he thought that might help w/ the headaches (it hasn't). What it has done is NOT controlled his high HR. He has been pretty consistently in the high 90's to low 100's at rest.

Obviously yesterday was the worst. I've talked to his regular cardio and also a couple at the hospital, and all agree that it is time to go back to beta blockers (rather than the verapamil, which is a calcium-channel blocker).

Scary thing is, his EKG's are still abnormal. Still showing the LBBB. I'm so worried! I know the hospital will keep him there until they can determine why this is the case (they told me so). One of the hospital cardio's theorized that there could have been a clot on the valve that broke off and caused the LBBB. I don't understand that mechanism. Also, Chris has a home INR testing machine and at last check it was 2.1. (his ideal range is 2-3, so I guess this could be a bit low).

Has anyone had/heard of a similar experience?

Thanks everyone. This is a long and stressful journey and I appreciate this site more than you know.

I don't know anything about the LBBB, but I DO get migraines, so I'll add my 2 cents.

My cardio has me stay away from ACE inhibitors, and use an ARB (angiotension receptor blocker) for blood pressure control, after a trial with the ACE inhibitors resulted in 3 migraines per week. Ditto, I can't use nitroglycerine for any reason. Both the nitro and the Ace inhibitors break down into nitrites which trigger migraines.

I take both carvedilol and sotalol, beta blockers, to keep my heart rate down, as I tend to v-tach.

I had a very similar experience. I had a high heart rate right out of surgery last October, so they put me on Metoprolol. I was fine after that and was sent home to recover, which I did. In February, I reported a bit of chest 'tightness' when walking up hills and that got my GP all excited, telling me to go to emergency. I did and they ran all the tests you mention and told me I had LBBB. After two days of additional stress tests to make sure all my arteries were clear and that I hadn't had or was in danger of having a heart attack, they sent me home telling me 'it was proabbly GERD' -- indesgestion of all things. When I followed up with my regular cardio, he said it was the LBBB that thad them looking closely in that it can show up after a heart attack, but sometimes not, especially in those of us who have had valve surgery. I was told LBBB is not a concern if it is caused by valve surgery as long as the heart is still getting the electrical impulses it needs -- it just means they are taking the long way around. I was symptom free, so they said I was fine. I did go out and get a medicalert tag after that to make sure doctors in the future know I have it coming in.
I know many people have strong reactions to going off Metoprolol, so that could be in play as far as your elevated heart rate. I have not had any headache issues.

It's good to hear you didn't take any chances and got to the hospital and it sounds like you're in good hands.

Best of luck to you in getting better and keep us posted.

I've had RBBB my whole life, 49 years now and have never required any treatment for it. As I'm sure you know, that's not causing his rapid heart rate. Please feel confident that there are many people out with either Left or R BBB and are fine. Your husband's Dr.s are going to make sure everything is working before they send him on his way with it.

As far as the whole headache thing after this surgery, I'm more and more convinced that for some of us, it can be a huge trigger. I had a headache for basically 3.5 years after this surgery, pretty much non stop. Every time I'd mention it to my cardio's, they'd look at me like I was crazy and my neurologist would just say that it didn't matter if it was triggered by that, we just had to find a way to treat them. I literally have tried every med there is for migraine treatment (except Amitriptyline, because it can cause rapid heartbeat), some with a little more success than others, but nothing that made them go away. I also had terrible rhythm problems, and last fall, I finally went on a med for those which totally resolved that problem, and within a week or so, my daily headaches were so much better (I still have my "normal" headaches, but nothing like they were). My EP finally agreed that it was most likely heart related (too long to type the explanation here, but I'd be happy to send you a message if you'd like).

I know all this is stressful, but it sounds like he is in good hands.

Back