Leanring Experience

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinemc

It has been some time since I posted. I will refresh what I need to post. I lost my job back in 12-15-2016. I lost my insurance that day also. My cardio and PCP kept me on my meds for a bit over a year. But three months ago, they had to stop. I was out of warfarin and had to do without. Almost two weeks ago, the craziest thing happened, had a clot travel through a vein up to my left eye and caused a stroke. Never heard of such a thing before. But it can happen wether you are on warfarin or not. I was fortunate and lucky, have blurred vision in the left eye. But it is slowly getting better. What happened that night, my left eye itched and vision never cleared up. I was going to a hospital two days later to see about getting set up with a doctor to get back on track. Decided to go to emergency room, for state and federal laws say they cannot refuse treating me, no insurance. And then I was put in hospital for bridge therapy for getting back on the warfarin. And then they told me about the stroke on the left eye. Talk about strange luck.

Am getting better, applied for SSDi and SSi, you never know how things might work out. The left eye is slowly getting better and getting back to my old self. I am going to make sure I stay on the warfarin and never be out. Last and only risk I will ever take. But the bills suck, but I will manage. I am a survivor. Yes, still alive. But telling my story I hoped will teach others that no matter what, you can survive and education helps also.

Thanks for letting me share my experience. It can happen to anyone, wether you are on blood thinners or not. Clots are no joke.

Sorry to hear of your woes

Let us know over in the AC forum if you have any questions about AC management now that you may be doing it alone...

Best Wishes

Where are you located? Warfarin is on the $4 list where I am without insurance. I can get a 90 day supply for $10. Insurance shouldn’t be a limiting factor.

Where are you located? Warfarin is on the $4 list where I am without insurance. I can get a 90 day supply for $10. Insurance shouldn’t be a limiting factor.

I am also wondering why you had to stop Warfarin. When it comes to INR machines(had to buy 2 in a year), INR strips and Warfarin, i don't even bother about insurance. All this matter only while i am alive.

rakesh, the problem was I lost my job, lost the insurance. Eventually lost the doctor. So was on my own without for a few weeks. Cannot buy INR machines without drs. script. No doctor, no warafarin. But now am with a hospital, getting meds through CVS but going to transfer to Hy-Vee or Walmart for they have the $4.00 copay. No insurance required, but you have to have a script from a doctor to get meds. I have applied for SSDI. So still no insurance, no public assistance but will be getting it soon. Living off retirement lump sum, which is going down. And will be living with my younger brother in a few months.

For some who did not understand. when you have had insurance through your place of employment, you get fired, you lose the insurance. You can't go to the doctor because you have no insurance. I was able, for a year, to get refills from the doctors on my meds. Then that stopped. I did not rush to get help. Waited a few weeks till something did happen. Found out I had an eye stroke in the left eye. Did not feel a thing, no pain, no headaches.

Got into hospital for bridge to get back on warfarin. Been doing fine. Charity hospital. So glad to get treatment in emergency. But the bills suck and will be seeking assistance soon. With what I have in the bank, I can't qualify yet, but the money is dwindling down. I will get assistance on the bills. Going to transfer the meds to a different pharmacy, CVS has no $4.00 for generic meds. I will be talking to Walmart and Hy-Vee this next week about transferring them, saving some money.

It is the matter of having a doctor to help script the warfarin, which helps. Doing what I have to do, to be more proactive. Doing better, left eye blur is slowly going away. Seeing more today than I have in days. LOL!. It is hard not having insurance, but am hanging in there. And praying for SSDI approval on first try.

Everyone have a great weekend and I will try to come in more often, gotta keep you all update on my recover from eye stroke. It can happen to anyone.

Hi

carolinemc;n883614 said:
For some who did not understand. when you have had insurance through your place of employment, you get fired, you lose the insurance.

but there are always options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roche-Coag...318138?hash=item23a27342fa:g:VRgAAOSw4RZbFWg0

there are many ways to buy the strips ... and you don't always need a prescription.(or even at all in Europe or Australia)

There are always ways to get prescriptions for the medications. I've sat in hospitals waiting to see a Dr (in Europe) so that I could get one (without paying 150Euro for the private doctors).

You were lucky that it was just your eye, imagine if it had been worse.

To anyone else reading this, don't muck about with this stuff ... its serious.

We (on this forum) are able to help you with pretty much all aspects of this, but its better to ask for help before you're permanently injured.

There are doctors who will see you without insurance. You just have to pay cash for the visit. Going to an ER is usually not an option in the US because they won't usually write a script for more than a week. You are lucky it wasn't worse. I hope others will learn from you that Warfarin should be high on your priority list.

Update, sorry it took so long to get back with you all, had a eye stroke back in May, before getting meds. Was stupid, I know. But am back and doing better. It was in my left eye, thank goodness. Almost had a stroke, stroke. But vision is slowly coming back in the left eye. Will never do Russian roulette with my meds ever again. Was go to a charity hospital to see about getting help, then went to the emergency room there to see about left eye, did not know about the stroke of the eye yet. they had sent me to the Opthamogist and he suggested to get into hospital right away to get me back on the warfarin. I was in the hospital for four days on the heparin bridge and then went home. Most of my meds are on the $4.00 list at Walmart. I am going to see a Cardio next month and see if the person can change one med, the doctor who saw me put me on Atvorstaton, which is expension, even with coupons. I will be moving to Arkansas in a couple of months and want to have everthing else set. Got my letter from SS to see their examiner for SSDI. So getting all my ducks in a row. Trying to fight depression, which is part of the type 2 diabetes territory. So getting the help, getting set, and soon ready for change. I will be in a small town, which will be fine with me. And my brother will be helping me, for I will be moving in with him. I am so happy on that front. Just thank the Lord nothing major major happened from my stupidity. And no strips to worry about, just on metformin. Thanks to all for the support and will try to come in more often. Hugs for today. :)

Latest posts

Back