Laura's Mother Is Dying...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Everyone,

While I've been in California taking care of my mother whose progress since her hip replacement surgery has been excellent, Laura has had to deal with her own mother's detiorating health. Tonight Laura called me to tell me that her mother was expected to die either tonight or early tomorrow morning. I didn't get a chance to say good bye to my mother-in-law whom I've always referred to as "Mom <Laura's last name>" I know the policy about revealing last names so I won't do it. Her first name is Loretta (Lori), so please keep her in your prayers.

I cried with Laura over the phone as she related how Lori's doctors reduced her pain medication enough so she'd be coherent. Laura got to talk to her and she told Laura she loved her and called her "pumpkin" and "baby"--terms of endearment she'd used for Laura over the years. KC and Jane got a chance to say their goodbyes to their "Grandma in Chicago." Then Laura just wanted to go to bed early and get off the phone. I then went over to my own mother and held her as I cried about my mother-in-law and how I didn't get a chance to say good bye. My mom told me about how she endure the early loss of her parents. Her father was just 52 when he died of throat cancer and her mother was just 60 when she died of ovarian cancer. My mother is 77 and her brother is 74; her father's sister Ruth lived to 99 just 4 years ago. This helped me see she understood what I was going through.

My mother is on Coumadin therapy and has INR testing done a lot. She's supposed to be between 1.5 and 4, but was low at 1.2. However, she got a nosebleed Sunday, and my sister's family and I had to leave church and drive quickly 20 miles back to Petaluma. It took time to stop it, but it did stop. I needed to be here to make sure she was okay for the next few days. My sister, who had to have arthroscopic surgery on her left knee, much as I did 17 years ago, got well pretty fast, but just today her knee locked up twice and has resumed being really painful. This setback may keep Amy from helping my mother when I leave. Pray that Amy's knee's recovery gets back on track--she was due to return to work on Thursday, but who knows now.

It's hard for me to be away when Laura is going through so much. I can't drive home until there's a break in the weather here in California. I plan on leaving on Thursday. It's a 680 mile drive back to Idaho and the Donner Summit in the Sierras may be really exhausting driving. I may be forced to spend the night at a Nevada motel part of the way back. Pray for my safety and for Laura's and the kids' comfort. Also Laura's father Ken and sisters Summer, Kim, and Tamara need prayer. It's going to be tough, so pray for strength and peace for all involved, and if it's God's will, for a miraculous healing. If not His will, a painless release from this life and mercy in the next.

Chris

Chris-

I am so very sorry to hear this. May God keep Laura's mother in the palm of his hand, give her an easy passing and keep her safe with Him.

Chris and Laura,
My prayers go out to you and all your family. Having lost my mommy six years ago I can still feel the sting of letting her go. I pray that if God's will is to take Lori home, then may she pass into his arms gently.

Your whole family is in my prayers, Chris. Saying goodbye is very difficult -- I was the one in my family to say goodbyes to both my father and mother in the hospital so I know what you are going through. Sometimes it is just not possible for all to be there. I have tears in my eyes now just thinking about it -- I wish for you and Laura all possible comfort and strength.

The Vigil Continues...

The Vigil Continues...

As of 3:30 Pacific, Loretta is still alive. Her granddaughter told me she thought her kidney functions had gone up to 24%. She also woke up a bit today. Laura heard complete kidney failure. Now none of us know what to think. I don't know whose data on kidney function is more up to date. Perhaps God has decided her work on Earth isn't done yet. She could still pass on today, or she could rally like she has done in the past. Keep on praying.

Chris

Back