Lasting Trauma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcw16

Hi folks. I'm 65 and had aortic valve replacement and aortic aneurysm repair 18 months ago. It's not without irony, but it has started to feel that though my life was saved obviously, the general trauma of surgery appears to be having lasting effects. I was always a low energy person and even as a young man noticed that my recovery on a muscular level was always slower than my peers after playing sports. But now, 18 months down the road, I have what appears to be a permanent general sense of achiness, sort of a low-grade flu feeling, with lots of general muscle tightness and a sense of generalized malaise. I feel like I'm doing all the right things in terms of exercise and diet and supplements that appear to have science-based medicine behind them. But despite that, Tylenol three times a day seems to be the order of the day. I'll be interested to hear about others' experiences of this nature.

I notice from your bio that you are in the mental health business. Sometimes we can't see the forest for all the trees. Why not talk with another professional about getting out of the malaise. "Doom and Gloom" feelings often follow major surgery......been there.

Hi Dick, thanks for the thoughts. I have no doom and gloom. I have physical malaise...achy, stiff..I'm very happy with everything I do in life!

Thanks for responding. The best info on pain I've come across is painscience.com. LOTS of things help; massage, showers, movement........ But not for long.

Sorry that I misread your post. Aches and pains have followed me from time to time......and I take a couple tylenols each nite at bedtime. In my mid-60s I started a gym routine and it helps a lot.

paulcw16;n874969 said:
But now, 18 months down the road, I have what appears to be a permanent general sense of achiness, sort of a low-grade flu feeling, with lots of general muscle tightness and a sense of generalized malaise.
What does you cardiologist say ? Or your GP ? "low-grade flu" feeling doesn't sound too good, added to achiness and malaise. I would get myself checked out thoroughly if you haven't already had that done.

At 8 months post up I was getting breathless, told my cardiologist but he could find nothing amiss. Told one of my other doctors who referred me back to a respiratory consultant that I had been under - turned out that my lung function wasn't right and I had to increase the steroid inhaler I use - I would never have guessed it was anything respiratory though as I didn't have a cough. Am I glad that doc thought of that.

Latest posts

Back