Last meal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend you eat light the night before and make sure you take Dulcox after surgery. I did not and boy was I sorry!

At my hospital I didn't have to worry about taking Dulcolax. They would not discharge you from the hospital until you could prove that your digestive system was functioning. Unfortunately for me that meant I was handed the dreaded Dulcolax suppository before I could be set free. :D Once I got home drinking plenty of fluids and taking stool softeners keep things in working order.

As far as eating the night before all I can say is follow their protocol. When I had my sternum wires taken out I was NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight. My surgery was scheduled for 9AM and I arrived at the hospital at 7AM. My surgeon had TWO emergency surgeries come up and I finally got wheeled into surgery at 4PM. Nothing to eat or drink for 16 HOURS! Enjoy your meal the night before. The reason they give you a cut off time is because they know how long it takes the body to digest food to the point that it's no longer in your stomach. And trust me on this one...they will get whatever you ate the night before to start moving after surgery. They have their ways. :D

I went out to lunch with a group from work and had great big burger and fries. I followed that up in the evening when my wife and I took the kids out to dinner at an Italian place. Not something we typically attempt with four little ones, but figured we should give it a try.

Having to go off warfarin and on lovenox prevented me from being able to drink for over a week prior. Not really a big deal since I hardly ever drink, but tell a person they can't have one, and what do they crave?

As far as restrictions, no eating or drinking after midnight for an 8:15 scheduled surgery. Your stomach really feels empty when you stuff it full the day before.

Well yourday has come and gone..and I hope that you enjoyed your last meal pre-valve with your family.
we did the same thing..had a big family dinner the night before..it was tasty and fun.

Back