Last meal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorsai

So my surgery is scheduled for October 21, with the pre-op session the day before that. My wife and I are planning a 'Last Supper' with some family before I go in, but I don't know what dietary restrictions someone going in for surgery is under.

Can anyone help me out here? What were you allowed or not allowed to eat the day before? Any assistance for meal planning is appreciated!

Last edited:
Some people prefer to eat light meals the night before surgery so they don't have to deal with getting rid of it after surgery (since people tend to get constipated from all the meds right after surgery) or upset stomaches ect... Justin on the other hand eats all of his favorite things and usually gets a meal right (take out from resteraunts he likes) before the time he has to stop having food,(usually around midnight the night before) because he figures he'll be missing alot of meals in the next few days and LOVES to eat. It probably is best not to have big heavey meals but, Justin calls it his before OHS tradition.

So my surgery is scheduled for October 21, with the pre-op session the day before that. My wife and I are planning a 'Last Supper' with some family before I go in, but I don't know what dietary restrictions someone going in for surgery is under.

Can anyone help me out here? What were you allowed or not allowed to eat the day before? Any assistance for meal planning is appreciated!

I don't remember any restricitons. My surgery was scheduled for 11am, and I think I had to quit eating 12 hours beforehand. If you're wondering about alcoholic bevarages, I don't drink, so probably don't accurately remember if there was anything said concerning it.

I've never been given any restrictions. Just "nothing to eat or drink after midnight." Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I'm always STARVING while I wait for them to take me back. :rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

I've never been given any restrictions. Just "nothing to eat or drink after midnight." Doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I'm always STARVING while I wait for them to take me back. :rolleyes:

Good luck!!!

Justin TOO, when one of his last surgeries was pushed back to 2nd case, his main complaint was he could have eaten for 5 more hours, if they told him before we got there..
ps USUALLY you are allowed to have clear liquids later than when you stop the solid food, but I don't remeber when you have to stop the liquids.

I wasn't given any restriction either, but I did have a light meal the night before. I didn't want to go into the operating room with my gut full of food and you usually have to go in so early that you may not have time to empty your bowels (not to be gross!). So, if I were you, I would plan my "big" meal a couple of days beforehand.

Good Luck.

Kim

Hi,
I am a week behind you. The only restriction I was given was to stop all solids and liquids at midnight before surgery scheduled for 8 am the next day.
Best wishes and we will be thinking of you!

At the hospital the night before surgery, the nurse brought me a lovely dinner but I didn't feel like it so I gave it to my husband. LOL, the nurse came back in and told him off for eating it!!! He was really embarrassed....she walked in just as he was putting a large forkful of chicken into his mouth!
I didn't have any appetite for a couple of days before surgery and only ate very lightly - just nerves I guess.
But you might be okay. Still, if I was you I'd have my "slap-up" dinner two nights before surgery rather than the night before.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't given any restrictions. If I was, I ignored them. :D I was in a sports bar the night before. :D No, I didn't get sloshed though -- wouldn't recommend that. Probably something easy on the tummy -- but I honestly can't remember any restrictions....

As far as "last supper" it will be the last supper before the start of a new life for you. :)

I was told not to eat after midnight but no specific restrictions on what to eat prior. My surgeon did suggest I not overeat as that food just sits in your system for days before you (hopefully) get your digestive system fully operating properly again. A huge meal is really not a good idea.

I was just told not to eat after midnight. The nurse who did all my pre surgery test, told me to have a glass of wine with dinner to try and help relax me. Note:She said 1 glass of wine. She didnt give me restrictions for meal, but encouraged me not to eat a real heavy dinner. That was Monday night, and i still havent used the bathroom yet, due to all the meds. So good luck. and you will be in my prayers.

go for it!

go for it!

knowing every condemned person is entitles to the last meal of his/her choice, i had lunch at my life long favourite, the occidental tavern in vulcan lane on the way to the hospital. i think i had a ceasar salad with chicken and anchovies, some chips and i also finished off the metre long belgium sausage meal why wife had ordered. AND, most importantly i had 4 jumbo sized glasses of dark brune belgium 6.5% beer. actually i was ready for a roadie but mrs westie threw a fit so we left and i then drove to the hospital (westies are very politically corrrect)

it was a sunday and seems i was the last of the 3 monday heart ops to arrive. a nurse gave me a shave, waist up only and about 6.30 dinner arrived and the nurse who brought it asked if i wanted a bottle of wine. well i confessed i had a liquid lunch and the nurse said "we thought so" but assured me it was not uncommon for ohs patients to have a few drinks on the way to the hospital. the nurse said i might as well have another but it had to be red because that was all that was left .

surgery was scheduled for 8.00 am the next morning and as i recall i had to stop eating and drinking at 10.00 pm

anyway, you will not be dying during the operation, but just in case, you should make sure you have a bloody good lunch on the way

if you do die during the op, you will not regret the booze you drank the day before and if you survive, the massive medication you get will cover up any hangover!

and i had another consideration, i was 99% guaranteed a mitral valve repair, but if that failed i would get a mechanical valve which ment i would almost have to stop drinking.

ha, well i ended up with a mechanical valve and still have 3 glasses per day, doctors orders, i have to comply.

final comment, it is important to be happy, if a good pub lunch and drink can do that, go for it!

Excellent advice, thank you all! I think we'll plan on an early, modest meal.

And Danny - I'll say a special kind of prayer for you tonight. :)

I don't have any advice on what you should eat or not eat before you go in for your surgery but I want to wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery on the 21st.

We will be anxiously awaiting the good news when you're over the mountain!

Godspeed!

I went with the KC steak medium rare and I recalled it fondly while eating the terrible hospital food. If you are worried about having too much in your stomach, you can always have your meal the night before the night before. As long as you eat before the 12 hour time limit, you should be able to eat anything you want.

Mentu, you're a man after my own heart - we're grilling ribeyes here. I may eat only half of mine, and have my wife smuggle the leftovers into the hospital a couple of days post-op.

I was told "no eating or drinking after midnight" and my surgery was scheduled for 8:00 AM the next day.

I had pizza and wings for my last meal, and I had a few drinks as well. However, I will caution you. If you have a few drinks, make sure you drink lots of water before midnight so that you aren't parched the next morning, because you won't be able to drink water to quench your thirst. Don't cheat either, because you do not want anything in your stomach for the surgery, not even a bit of water. I didn't react well to the morphine and had nausea after the surgery. Not fun, so don't bring it on yourself by voluntarily eating or drinking anything after they tell you not to.

I was admitted early in the afternoon on the day before my surgery and was given a normal three course meal in the evening, I think it might well have been steak as the main course. They didn't ask me what wine I would like although the wine list looked interesting, presumably that was not for people having cardiac surgery. :)

It's only been two years for me, I didn't have any restrictions except the "nothing after midnight" stuff, but it was suggested that refraining from alcoholic beverages for 24 hours, or better 48, would be a good idea.

My parents took DH and I to a fancy Italian restaurant for my :Last Supper" (my mother was horrified when I said that in the restaurant!) and I STUFFED MYSELF !!!!!!!:D:D

I recommend you eat light the night before and make sure you take Dulcox after surgery. I did not and boy was I sorry!

Back