Ladies only PLEASE!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

OK, girls, I am 46 years old! I have had normal periods since I started on the coumadin last July. This month, I am 13 days in with no sign of slowing down. BUT what is odd...the first few days I had a slow start...not much bleeding at all, and now I am having a regular (not heavy) period that is just lasting too long!

Anyone have this happen? Am I just starting to go through "the change" and can expect this kind of thing? Is it the coumadin? How long should I let this go on before I mention it to someone? The last time I had my INR checked (10 days ago) it was within range (3.4)!

Sorry to have to ask these embarassing things, but I don't know any other women on coumadin. I did talk to my sister who is 2 years older and she says this is how she started her Menopause and now she doesn't have a period at all! GOD! To jump ahead to those wonderful days!!

Mileena

Your doctors are the ones who can determiine if you are peri-menopausal but it certainly sounds possible. You might be a bit on the young side but many start at that age and younger. I'd wait a few more days, maybe a week, and then contact one of my doctors.

Mileena:

When did you last see your OB/GYN or family doctor?
I would sure ask my doctor about this. You shouldn't be having a 13-day-long menstrual period.
I had a total hysterectomy 25 years ago at 34 due to endometrial hyperplasia, which triggered several periods each month; I also had endometriosis.
Do call your doctor and get it checked out.

Thanks JKM7 and Marsha!

Last time I saw an OB/GYN? Several years ago. I don't have insurance and I really really really really want to avoid that at all cost! Hmmm I guess this is why my valve replacement became an emergency while I ignored the fact that I couldn't breathe!

Mileena

You could very well be peri-menopausal Mileena but as others have said, an OB/YGN is the only one that can determine that.
Heck, I have a friend that started her menopause at the age of 38!

I too had a total hysterectomy at the age of 46, thirteen years ago. I had an ovarian cyst that had ruptured causing excruciating pain. My periods were horrible for many years prior to that time with heavy bleeding, clotting & painful cramping.

So pick up on the signals your body is sending & make an appt with a doctor soon. Good luck to you.

Mileena,

When you get blood work can you ask to get your 'hormone' levels tested as well such as your FSH? . This will give the Dr. an idea as to whether you are starting menopause or not.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Insurance or not , you've got to make an appointment with a board certified GYN. With your symptoms cancer needs to be ruled out. Many doctors when they find out you are self-pay will reduce fees. Don't delay. Marty

Long before my heart surgery and before my going on Coumadin, I had those symptoms at your age. If you are like me, a GYN will require tests to rule out cancer or "pre-cancer". If there is no cancer, they might be able to put you on hormones to stop periods. In my case, I had multiple problems followed by cancer-screening biopsies over the years. Finally, in my 50s it seemed I had finally finished peri-menopause. Then, on a trip to see a Broadway show, I got another "period". The requisite biopsy showed I was one stage below cancer. I had a key-hole hysterectomy which had very little healing time and left a couple of tiny round scars (including one in my belly-button). I certainly pray you can get some medical help! A keyhole hysterectomy could solve your issues and prevent things from getting any worse.

Sorry, I'm no help here! Had hyster at age 39 and hot flashes ever since my lovely gyne decided I couldnt be on warfarin and ERT at the same time...UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you find relief and answers.

Thanks all for the replies. I haven't seen a doctor, and I am still seeing some bleeding. My INR yesterday was 3.6 so thats good....but in the last couple of days I have gone from a heavy flow to a minor one. I am hoping in the next few days it will stop altogether. No hot flashes yet...but figure they are in my future! Thanks again, I knew I could depend on you ladies.

Luana,

I do go to the clinic here, but they don't do OB/GYN things. They will refer me....thats it....but I will go if I don't continue to improve!

I remember those horrible yrs after starting on coumadin at age 46. I had a 2 week period, and only 2 weeks off. This went on for a couple of yrs as I recall. Once, I had to go to the ER while visiting my sis in Fl., because my bleeding was so heavy. I got all the tests, but it was just considered normal heavy bleeding. It was awful. I couldn't wait to enter menopause, and now, no periods, no hot flashes cause I take HRT (no stroke risk, I'm already on coumadin). The bad thing is, the docs still think that coumadin doesn't affect a woman's period. They are wrong!!

Mileena,

I can only tell you that I was 45 or 46 when I started peri-menapause. The symptoms were the same. I was not on coumadin, or at the time even knew I would some day have AVR. I would check with my Dr's. I have a hunch though, that could be it.

19 days on and I have finally stopped! My God! That was horrible. My friend here at work has started her normal cycle today and I told her to STAY AWAY from me as women can make each other start (didn't know if ya'll knew that), anyway I am glad it's over until the next time and thank you all again! Sometimes I wonde what I would do if not for this website and the wonderful people here!

Mileena

Latest posts

Back