Lab vs Home Test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I didn’t realize John Cameron Swayze was related to Patrick. Small world. Now I wonder if he can dance, too.
My Coaguchek S stopped working while in warranty and would have been replaced free of charge with another S. The XS was just released to the market, had been recommended to me so I paid the full price. And it’s worked out very well for all these years. Sorry yours didn’t work out as well for you. I think it’s a great product and very reliable.

I’m asking because my XS has been in use since 2006. Last week XS was dropped to the floor
while I haven't dropped mine yet, I can say that its "been around" (international travel fairly extensively from where I got it (Australia) Finland, UK, Central Europe. Mine however was obtained in 2012. So your experience bodes well.

8 years of weekly tests (lets not bother with counting the other adhoc and series of daily tests on occasion adds $1.40 per test, which will continue to drop over time (pun intended).

As an ex-electronics tech (really, where are the jobs for that role now) I can say that the coaguchek is about as robust (and perhaps as sophisticated) as a TV remote control.

:)

My Coaguchek S stopped working while in warranty and would have been replaced free of charge with another S
I was under the impression that there were no strips for the S model.

S
s-l300.jpg

The XS and the INRange both use the modern XS strips

XS
83928.jpg

the new INRange
coaguchek-inrange-system-coaguchek-13608921006178_700x700.jpg

Good morning ,
i just noticed this post now. So there was a time your XS gave a test result significantly different from the lab. I had thought XS, if broken, wouldn’t test at all. What is meant by “died”. I’m asking because my XS has been in use since 2006. Last week XS was dropped to the floor. I called called Roche who sent me test liquids. When used a comparison was made to the number that appeared on the screen with the appropriate number associated with the liquid batch number. They matched. All was well including the two blood tests subsequently taken. XS didn’t have to be replaced. It took a lick in’ and keeps on thicken’.
Yes! What I meant by *died* is it failed completely.

Not sure, too long ago, but I thought the “S” and the “XS” both took the same strips. Based on my experience with the “S”, I’d be surprised if any were still in service. Not sure what to make of the newer model and I’d totally forgotten what “S” Looked like just remembering it was big, bulky and convenient to rest my feet on while flying to England.

I don't think the X and XS use the same strips.

Five or so years ago, Roche announced that it would stop making the S and that no more strips would be available. I'm pretty sure that this took place.

Ruby's message was that 'the XS was just released to the market' - at the time of the XS release, the S WAS fully supported. It took a few years before the S was discontinued.

I had an S many years ago - I bought it for around $40, not knowing that I'd be able to use it for a little more than a year.

The S is history. The XS replaced it (but used different strips).

In addition to the new XS meter that Pellicle showed, Roche also has one called the Vantus. This didn't show prothrombin time - it just shows INR - and was designed to ONLY be used by Roche's monitoring service. They were supposed to send it to subscribers, and asked to have it returned when a subscriber canceled the account.

A few are out there - perhaps purchased from Roche at the end of the contract. At this time, there's one offered on eBay.

The new XS is, I think, called InRange - it's supposedly not for sale in the United States - intended for the EU, but sellers are offering it on eBay.

Five or so years ago, Roche announced that it would stop making the S and that no more strips would be available. I'm pretty sure that this took place.

Ruby's message was that 'the XS was just released to the market' - at the time of the XS release, the S WAS fully supported. It took a few years before the S was discontinued.

I had an S many years ago - I bought it for around $40, not knowing that I'd be able to use it for a little more than a year.

In addition to the new XS meter that Pellicle showed, Roche also has one called the Vantus. This didn't show prothrombin time - it just shows INR - and was designed to ONLY be used by Roche's monitoring service. They were supposed to send it to subscribers, and asked to have it returned when a subscriber canceled the account.

A few are out there - perhaps purchased from Roche at the end of the contract. At this time, there's one offered on eBay.

The new XS is, I think, called InRange - it's supposedly not for sale in the United States - intended for the EU, but sellers are offering it on eBay.
Is there any risk that coaguchek xs will be phased out? And InRange will overtake it..I recently bought coaguchek xs in india. Hope it doesn't. I hope the test strips on InRange are same as coaguchek xs? Any idea?

Both meters use the same strips. Even if they removed the XS from the market tomorrow, the InRange would be fully supported. The InRange is an updated meter, color screen, a real menu and other 'improvements', but aside from the better cosmetics and menus, it's the same meter - with some really nice lipstick and a new pair of pants.

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually have InRange and can comment on what new features / lipstick it has?

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually have InRange and can comment on what new features / lipstick it has?
I don't, but my mate does. He's not so interested in the features, but as he also spreadsheets (he had a guide in managing his INR) he's not so fussed about the bling.

however he says it goes through 2 sets of batteries per bottle of 24 test strips ... which pisses him off. Myself I'm like about a year or so to batteries. Not that batteries are expensive ...

I have checked my CoaguChek XS twice when I had unusual, unexpected results. Both times the hospital lab was within 0.1 INR. I have had the XS for 8 years with no problems.

i bought a coaguchek inrange meter for home testing.
my GP has just told me they wont supply me with a prescription for the testing strips :cautious:. So i'll have to buy them myself(will cost around £250 a year if I self test once a week)

My GP kept going about how i may not be put on warfarin after my heart valve op, and may be anticoagulating with "-aban" class drugs

i bought a coaguchek inrange meter for home testing.
my GP has just told me they wont supply me with a prescription for the testing strips :cautious:. So i'll have to buy them myself(will cost around £250 a year if I self test once a week)
I don't think it would be £250. Last time I looked they are under £70 for 24 if you buy direct from Roche, and so weekly testing would be 2.16 pots x £70 = £150 ish. I know their website (shop.coagucheck.com) is "closed" but there is a phone number and email address listed there for orders.

I don't think it would be £250. Last time I looked they are under £70 for 24 if you buy direct from Roche, and so weekly testing would be 2.16 pots x £70 = £150 ish. I know their website (shop.coagucheck.com) is "closed" but there is a phone number and email address listed there for orders.
oh thanks !
I was looking on the Medisave.UK website (y)

Latest posts

Back