Lab vs Coaguchek INR

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

rnff2

I haven't posted in a while but I'm still lurking around. Lol. I hope you are all doing well.

I need to voice my frustrations...so here goes. I had a lab INR of 2.4 and my Coaguchek was 2.6 on Friday. Same day, about 30 minutes apart. I am very happy with these results as my meter has always been 0.2 higher than my lab results. The nurse from my cardiologist office sent me a message that I need to have my meter checked due to the difference in the tests...is she really serious? I sent her a message back explaining that this is my normal and my meter and lab results are exactly what I expected. I can't believe how so many professionals that monitor and manage patients don't understand Coumadin dosing and INR monitoring. So frustrating...but thanks you many of you here I am now home monitoring and self managing with approval of my cardiologist. I still report my results to them weekly but do my own thing...unless the nurse is being her crazy self and thinks she needs to get involved.

rnff2

Thanks guys...I knew you would both say that.

I actually cancelled my service with Coaguchek in January and they let me keep my meter free of charge. I'm buying strips on my own now and saving a lot of money. So I was praying the tests would be close, like they usually are, and I could continue on as usual. It would be my luck something would go wrong so soon after cancelling my service and I would have to buy a new meter. So when the nurse sent the message about calling the company and having my meter checked I was dumbfounded. I just wish nurses would take the time to learn about what they are telling people to do...it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I should become a coumadin clinic nurse if I ever decide to leave the ER.

pellicle

Hi
rnff2;n882058 said:
Thanks guys...I knew you would both say that.
well, and you knew you were right too ... because you are ;-)

So I was praying the tests would be close, like they usually are, and I could continue on as usual. It would be my luck something would go wrong so soon after cancelling my service and I would have to buy a new meter.
hang on ... but they are close ... 0.2 INR units is clinically insignificant. It could even be worse, it could be closer and there is a rounding error.
2.44 (rounding to 2.4) and 2.55 (rounding to 2.6) ... there is just no way that any reasonable clinician would call that "not close"

I would ask them to justify to you what action would have been taken had they read 2.6? None right!

Its bullshit and being bureaucratic because they are just seeing a wallet deposit walk out the door.

Maybe I should become a coumadin clinic nurse if I ever decide to leave the ER.
you'd never cope with patient non-compliance, and would go mad. Stick with ER ... at least there are rules in there

Last edited:

LondonAndy

VR.org Supporter
Although my lab tests have always been within 0.2 of my meter results anyway, personally I have greater confidence in my CoaguCheck XS than with lab results on the basis that there are fewer variables and risks. I am perfectly happy with a 0.2 difference between meter reading and lab result. If a lab result showed a bigger than expected difference then I would re-test at home immediately and do more frequent tests (I normally test weekly, and would switch to twice per week) for a week or two to see if there was a trend of change. If a change is shown then I would follow-up with a visit to my anti-coag clinic.

rnff2

Busy weekend...sorry I haven't replied sooner.

pellicule...You are right...I wouldn't survive caring for non ER patients. I would go crazy working anywhere else. Lol.

LondonAndy...I agree, I trust my meter too. And if the results were way off I would just test a little more often until I was comfortable again.

Tomorrow, Monday is INR test day...it is always an adventure to see what the nurse may say. Lol.

Freddie

rnff2: a lab tech told me that they allow a variance +/- of .2 when testing for INR, which is done 3x and then they take the average of the 3 results.
Trust your meter.

Latest posts