KristyW Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyW

Hi all!!!

I apologize for not checking in sooner. My husband couldn't remember how to post here for me :(

I had my AVR done on Tuesday at 1pm. I found out on Monday that my surgeon wasn't going to be in town and that they wanted me to wait a week, or have it with a different surgeon from the same office! :eek: :eek: I was comfortable with my surgeon, but I also knew that he wouldn't recommend someone incompetent to replace him, so I said "NO WAY!!!:mad: You're doing the surgery tomorrow!" They got me scheduled for surgery 6 hours later than originally planned, but other than that, it was a breeze.

The incision was made at 2:20 pm and by 5:00pm I was in ICU. They took the breathing tube out about 9:30pm. I was moved into a cardiac telemetry room by 9am the following day. Each day I have felt better. The only pain med I'm taking now is Tylenol, all the others make me ill to my stomach, and it's just not worth it.

I'm on fairly few meds, coumadin, lopressor & baby aspirin is all. I have filled prescriptions for lasix & potassium in case edema sets in. All in all, it could have been much worse.

Thank you, all of you for your prayers and support. I wouldn't have felt nearly as confident if it weren't for all the wisdom found here :)

Kristy W - 0;-)

Congratulations

Congratulations

Hi Kristy W-

What wonderful news! You've come through it marvelously. Super job. Continued good health.

Nancy

Great news. Glad to hear you don't have much pain. Keep up informed.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Wow, Kristy - if you hadn't been so assertive you would still be playing the waiting game. Good for you. Hope all continues to go well for you in your recovery time.

Hi Kristy,

Glad to hear that you are doing so well after your AVR. Keep it up, but take it easy though. You did have major surgery and it takes time to heal.
Best wishes!

Christina.

Back Home

Back Home

Kristy, and your husband welcome home. I arrived home last night around 6:00pm. I'm glad everything went well for you. Man what an ordeal! Never been down for more than a couple of days in my life, what a big baby I am. I couldn't have done it with out my wife, man I owe her big time. It's kind of sad but the whole time I was in their just wondering how you were coping was taking my mind off matters. Getting a little tired now , just the trip home 50mi knocked me for a loop. Hope your doing better! Take Care; Jeff H.

Jeff H.

Jeff H.

Welcome home to you too Jeff! I too was thinking of you during my stay at the hospital.

That first day was a nightmare. I couldn't keep anything down, and the anti-nausea drug they gave me put me to sleep in the middle of my lunch...literally!!!

The trip home was good, but I was definitely tired. Today has been better.

Take care and don't sneeze!

Kristy W

Kristy -

Glad to hear all went so well. You were in and out of surgery pretty quick. That is great.
Jeff - also glad to hear all went well with you.
Now you guys get some rest and keep us posted.
Take Care.
Tammy

Hey Chillun - Jeff and Kristy - So happy you are on this side of the mountain. It's so good to get it over with, isn't it? And now all you have to do is just recuperate and take good advantage of your time because all too soon you will be right back at work or whatever your days normally include - but you will feel much better doing it. Glad your surgs went well. Jeff, you can be a baby if you want to, at least for awhile and give your sweet wife a thank you from us. God bless.

Hi Kristy - It's great to hear that your surgery went well. I can attest to the fact that each day you will will feel a little better. It was three weeks ago today that I had my AVR. every now and then I would get depressed when I looked at those scars but I think that's normal. I also followed the instructions from our heart buddies and started walking around the neighborhood. I don't speed walk or anything, I just take my time. Wow what a difference walking has made. So make sure that as soon as you are able you try to walk around your neighborhood. Hope that your kids are doing OK. Mine (10 and 12 ) are a big help. They are home with me during the day. Well, welcome to this side of the mountain and my wishes for a speedy recovery.

Beverley

Thanks Beverly

Thanks Beverly

Beverley,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm walking around the house as much as possible right now. It's about 98 degrees outside right now, and it's been in the upper 70s in the early morning hours, so walking outside is out of the question at the moment. I also live in a hilly area, so I have to take my accomplishments a little differently. I view the many trips up and down the stairs as some good walking right now. (Of course I'm only on my 6th day post op).

The kids and hubby are helping out lots. I remember to at least lay down for 45 minutes in the afternoon...(can't seem to sleep).

The incision doesn't look too bad, but the bruising is brutal!!

I know things are going to keep getting better :)

Take care!

Kristy W

I remember the bruising - it was spectacular. I feel like an old timer now having had my AVR over three months ago. Its so good to see you all making such good progress. Keep up the good work.

It's so great to hear that you're doing so well, Kristy, and the same to Jeff and Beverley. Sorry I have been out of touch for a while during this time that you guys were having surgery but I just couldn't keep myself from playing hooky at the beach now that I'm sufficiently recovered!

Sometimes mishaps happen, but, for the most part, our group here has been doing fantastic. I really count my blessings, but we need to remember that the benefits we are receiving were not so easy to come by not so long ago. The docs sure have come a long way and to hear so many coming through with flying colors is really encouraging.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Latest posts

Back