Know your stuff!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieann

Hi all! I'm sure this has been said many a time on here, but we are our own best advocates! It surprises me how many medical professionals don't know about interactions with warfarin. I recently went to a dermatologist and they wanted to prescribe a couple different antibiotics to clear up some skin issues. I asked if there were interactions with warfarin and she said "oh no, why would there be an interaction?" I asked her to just check and she did, and of course what she wanted to give me can cause a pretty big increase in INR. So long story short, I'm glad I had given myself enough education on the topic to know to ask!

We are always our best advocates. Many antibiotics can, and do, affect INR. When it is necessary to go on antibiotics, it is always best to test INR more frequently and make any necessary warfarin changes while on the antibiotic drug. It is OK to take antibiotics but be aware that it may affect INR. I may have to go on Penacillin in a couple weeks due to some needed dental work. While on the drug I will check my INR a couple times per week until the drug is gone.......about 2 weeks.

Yes!!

A success!!

Award of chocolate for the good student :)

One more example of the medical professionals not being aware of drug interactions. Would you believe I've seen diabetics put on glucose drips in ICU? Nearly killed the guy...

Latest posts

Back