Keeping a Diary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rain

I kept a diary.... of the events, emotions, etc. leading up to my surgery and for a couple of months afterwards. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

I went back and read it for the first time today... wow! ... some powerful emotions. It's very personal.... but someday I might even let my kids read it. (with a little editing) :)

I even talked about You, my heart buddies! You guys offered me support when I desperately needed it.

Love you guys,
Rain

I found this to be helpful. Rain, I'm glad you brought it up because I always thought it strange that in my day-to-day life, I am not a "journal-writer", yet when I went through this time of my life, I found it so helpful as a vent. Leading up to and after my first surgery, I ended up with about 50 pages of scrawl.

This last time around, I've got about the same, but have only completed the portion up to the day before surgery. For some reason, I couldn't bear to write afterwards. I guess I was just sick of it all and just wanted to move on. This happened last time too. I remember I had to go back and write the aftermath a year post-op.

Writing things out helped me voice those times when I couldn't share certain things with my wife for fear of scaring the bejebbers out of her. It also helped me vent out a lot of the anger, fear and everything else. I also found that writing by hand worked better for me than on computer. I don't know why. Perhaps it provides a more direct connection for me.

Like you, Rain, I don't think I could share my diary with anyone without some pretty heavy editing!

It's nice to know that others did this too.
Kev

I kept one for a month or so after surgery and ran across it one day recently in my underwear drawer, of all places!!! Next day or so someone asked a question about 'after surgery' and I could post a good answer that I hope helped someone who had shortness, soreness, sleeping positions, etc.

Back