just wondering if this is normal

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katm

Lately, I've on occasion have felt a strong pulse like beat in my chest, it varies sometimes its right at the bottem of sternum and other times it strong point is further up. I know its my heartbeat, due to rhythm if i get up and walk around its not noticable or Im distracted. Its normal beat but just pronounced. I mentioned it to the cardio but I was kind of wishy washy in describing it and I think he blew it off. I had a echo and everything is looking good. Just annoys and scares me when this happens cuz I am not sure why it is happening. Is it part of the healing. One day I will feel like I could climb a mountain and other days I feel like I climbed that mountain and just feel awful. Im three weeks post op, starting to feel a little depressed at times at how slow my progress seems. Feel like the outside world has moved on without me, lol. Feeling a little sorry for myself.

If it's not normal, we're both abnormal :) I had the same thing and still get it at 11 months, occasional loud heartbeat. I never told anyone, but am doing quite good.

If you are three weeks out and feel like you can climb a mountain, you are doing great. At three weeks I'd feel good, but after a 30 minute walk and I'd be napping for 2 hours.

Take comfort in knowing that every day you will be a little bit stronger and a little bit happier. Try watching a good funny movie. I like the Naked Gun series. Just make sure you have a pillow or your chest hugger for the really big laughs.

Hi Katm,

I also had strong-feeling heartbeats after surgery - I was told that is very normal. It's also normal for your resting pulse rate to be quite high (mine was around 90bpm and now it's 50)

As for the depression, make sure you get dressed everyday and get out of the house at least once a day, try to NOT compare yourself to others right now and as Tom says relax and watch something funny. It's never a bad idea to talk to a professional, but the depression that happens after surgery is also normal, so nothing to worry about.

I think it's hard during this time of year for anyone to not feel a little depressed, so you've got something of a double whammy!

Feeling great one day and feeling like crap the next....also normal!

Try not to rush to get back into things, it will come soon enough -- when you get down, think of us who have to drive to work everyday with a bunch of other impatient people on super slushy-icy roads....the cold wind....the long hours at work....and then the super stressful drive back home -- :thumbd: You really don't want to rush back in!

GREAT that your echo came back lookin good :cool:

You're doing great (even if you don't feel like you are - you are)

Rachel

Thanks Rachel and Tom. Woke up this morning just knowing it was not going to be a good day . My sternum was so sore cuz I dared to do a little too much yesterday. Then this strong heartbeat thing which just gets me all worried. My daughter and grandbabies are coming in for a visit this weekend and I havent been able to prepare for them like I usually do. So I worked myself into a little pity party. Will be happy to see them and be distracted from myself for awhile. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Resting rate of 50, now I am jealous :)

I was told that the heart does not like "to be touched", and this results in some "aberrations" before it settles down.

I also think there is the aspect that we are now paying more close attention to it, and notice more as a result :)

Three weeks?? You're only just beginning to heal and the connections that were cut are re-joining so your heart does make some mistakes. Another reason for feeling strong heart beats is that you're actually feeling blood come whooshing out of your heart. Pre-surgery your heart had to work really hard to squeeze blood thru a tiny valve opening, now it doesn't but it's still figuring that one out.

For about a month after my surgery my toes would move every time my heart beat when I was lying down, it was very funny for about the first week . . . give your heart time to settle down and learn how to deal with a 'normal' valve and congrats on feeling so good at only three weeks!

But for goodness sake take it easy on the sternum, after my first op I pushed too hard and 11 months later my sternum was still very painful. After my second op I behaved MUCH better and my sternum has been absolutely fine. Lesson learned. :)

Back